Can anyone ID this old light?

boileddenim

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. Was hoping the experts here could help me ID this old light I found in a barn. Can't find anything like it on Google. Measures 14.5" in length. Says made in USA on the switch, under the OFF setting. Has a FLASH and ON setting as well. No other markings. Likely a label thats long gone. Here a some photos. I appreciate the help.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would switch over to Imgur. Photobucket is on its way out because they don't allow third party hosting any more. Here's a couple of you pics:

OLI1fyx.jpg

MfrA6yQ.jpg

dSsP0sF.jpg

NNQLYzz.jpg

Bykfixer on here is really into these old lights and likely knows what kind of light it is. There are several other members that might too. Nice Hess trucks by the way!! I grew up in NJ and we looked forward to getting these every Christmas. I din't have any of the good ones unfortunately though.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks Lift'd.

What a beautiful old light!!

That is what was known as a 'house light'. Probably a 6D. Made by a manufacturer who was contracted to make generic lights to be sold in hardware stores, gas stations and other sources of items in very small towns where a local gas station for example was like a Dollar General today. A place far away from the city likely after World War 2 by the looks of it. It looks like it was made of top quality parts with durability in mind.

Who made it, I cannot say but the knurling around the bezel is one clue. Unfortunately the shape of the tailcap was very popular when it was made. But the switch is another clue. That knurling is probably the best clue since most were smooth back then and that style switch was popular. Not that particular shape, but the "flasher" feature.

I have that same light in 2C size without that grippy knurling around the bezel. It could have been made by BrightStar in Pa, or HIPCO in Ct. Both made good flashlights, but neither used that switch.

I'm intrigued and will definitely quicken my pace of research. I had a casual curiosity about my 2C (which came from Lift'd in a box of misc lights he sent me last summer), but this thread increased my curiosity.

Last edited:

boileddenim

Newly Enlightened
I thought it looked like a pretty unique flashlight. It is built pretty sturdy. I was surprised there was no battery corrosion on the inside. I didn't see any at all. With 6 D batteries in it this would make a heck of a club. Good all around home defense tool at the worst. Thanks for all the help. It certainly looks like a close cousin the the Montgomery Ward one Nitroz found. Not super valuable but pretty neat.