Light to illuminate large area behind backyard??

callehayes

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Good day to all of you. I live on a small farm property in Texas. I recently purchased some of these lights https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant...rol-DW9519GY-A/207105761?keyword=008938104739

to place on some metal poles in my backyard - I want them to illuminate the area behind my backyard, i.e. the pasture. So basically they are placed in my backyard facing the pasture which is several acres large.

It seems that these lights work well for illuminating just a small area near where they are placed, i.e. it seems they do not throw the light too far out?

I want something that will illuminate a larger area out back, e.g. if I shine a flashlight, it throws? further out...

I do not need immense brightness, but a larger area covered.

Do you know what type of light/fixture would be more suitable than this?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get fixtures designed specifically for the PAR (parabolic aluminized reflector) series bulbs (eg PAR30 or PAR38). These are available with different beam profiles, I've seen some fairly tight 25 degree spot beam that will have more distance, and some with a 45 degree or wider flood profile. For example, here's a very basic version:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-Ro...holder-and-Cover-Combination-5625-2/202056244

Nicer kits have shrouds to protect the light bulbs better, and some have motion sensors or day/night sensors.

callehayes

Newly Enlightened
Hey @iamlucky13 thank you

Would a PAR 38 give more light, more throw than PAR30?

Can I get these PAR bulbs in LED or are they just halogen?

How are these different to the LED bulbs in my original link? Do these provide more throw etc?

Thanks!!

You can get fixtures designed specifically for the PAR (parabolic aluminized reflector) series bulbs (eg PAR30 or PAR38). These are available with different beam profiles, I've seen some fairly tight 25 degree spot beam that will have more distance, and some with a 45 degree or wider flood profile. For example, here's a very basic version:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-Ro...holder-and-Cover-Combination-5625-2/202056244

Nicer kits have shrouds to protect the light bulbs better, and some have motion sensors or day/night sensors.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey @iamlucky13 thank you

Would a PAR 38 give more light, more throw than PAR30?

Can I get these PAR bulbs in LED or are they just halogen?

How are these different to the LED bulbs in my original link? Do these provide more throw etc?

Thanks!!

The PAR38 bulbs are usually slightly higher output than PAR30, but you need to check the lumen ratings to be sure, because different outputs are available.

Throw will depend mainly on the beam angle. Spot beam PAR bulbs will throw further than flood beam PAR bulbs, but the narrower angler needs to be kept in mind.

The light you currently have is fairly high output (4750 lumens), but the fact that it casts a 360 degree beam means not much of that is going the direction you need it most. PAR bulbs usually have 800-1200 lumen ratings depending on the model, so even 2-bulb fixtures don't sound like they'd be as bright (although yuandrew linked to some very high output bulbs), but the directional nature of the lights should let you aim them to get the light more where you want it.

As in the example I linked, a basic kit is fairly cheap to buy one to try it out.

Yes, they are widely available in LED models.

I might as well also add the reminder there are some very good flashlights available if you don't need everything lit up all at once.

callehayes

Newly Enlightened
Hi

@iamlucky13 @yuandrew fritzhid thank you

I am near a Lowes so I can get the Slyvania night chaser LED floodlamp

I can also get the 4 in. Round Weatherproof 2 Par Lampholder and Cover Combination as suggested by iamlucky13

My only concern is how to do I add a dusk to dawn sensor?

Are there are lampholders which can use the PAR38 bulbs and have the Dusk to Dawn sensor incorporated in them?

Or do I need to buy a separate Dusk to Dawn sensor and try and attach it to this unit somehow?

Thanks!!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many dusk/dawn modules AND fixtures however, they may not be compatible with LED bulbs. You'll need to check and confirm that bulb/sensor are capable of being used together.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only concern is how to do I add a dusk to dawn sensor?

Fixtures like that are available with dusk to dawn photocells although you are more likely to find motion-sensors on this style of floodlights

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithoni...-Floodlight-OFTH-300PR-120-P-WH-M12/100652892

You could put one on the middle knockout on the cover at each fixture or if you know how the wiring is routed, have one control the entire lighting circuit.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TORK-Swivel-Mount-Photocell-Eye/999910561

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
To illuminate an area of several acres I would like to suggest you check into HID lights. They are what we use on streetlights. You need to generate a lot of light to cover that kind of area, and I think these little medium base bulbs may simply be too small for you. As an example, the SYLVANIA 250W LED Bulb mentioned upthread produces 2,400 lumens. To pick a random HID bulb, this SYLVANIA 250-Watt HID bulb produces 22,000 lumens. I think you just need more power.

how to do I add a dusk to dawn sensor?

You wire it in just like a switch. It passes current at night, shuts it off by day.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, the lampholder kit I linked to is just a very basic example. It should work fine, but if I were doing this, I'd shop around more (don't have much time to spare at the moment) to see if I could find one with hoods around the lampholders to provide a little bit of extra protection for the bulbs.

I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations for quality dusk-to-dawn sensors. It's just not a product I've used much.

I also thought I'd ask, is it even necessary to light up your field from dusk until dawn? Even with the efficiency of LED's, you'll still save money just by turning the lights on when you need them and off the rest of the time, and personally, I'm in favor of minimizing stray light when possible.

For example, if you have a pair of two-bulb fixtures, using those Sylvania high output bulbs, running them all night will probably cost $40-50 per year.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 1 acre back yard edged on two sides by golf course and then a deep forest.
I have three of these plain-jane floodlight sockets (link to lowes) spread out along the edge of the house
The bulbs are 150 watt equivalent (link to bulbs) bulbs (using 19 watts each) rated for 1,600 Lumens each (4,800 total).

I have the bulbs aimed so that the majority of the light is in my yard and some spill out into the golf course, but not so high as to shine on the houses at the top of the course (about 300 yards away) and basically I can see -everything- in my yard and if anyone is walking the golf course I can see them, and they can see where they are going.

Simply put... it's a lot of light for 57 watts of draw :)

I also wired up a photo-electric sensor...but had to actually re-position it around the side of the house because there was so much light the sensor kept thinking it was daytime and shutting the lights down (LOL)