Electric Heated Vest

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I went ATVing recently and it was a balmy 30 or so degrees I Wisconsin that day. That got me wondering if getting an electric heated vest would be a good choice. Does anybody here use one? If so, what should I consider when I buy one? Do they typically use proprietary batteries or something that is common to the flashlight industry?

scout24

Flashaholic
I know for streetbike use, there are several companies that make plug in electric clothes that attach to your bike battery and have a simple two prong plug. Milwaukee brand power tools make a jacket and a hoodie that run on their proprietary battery packs made for their small drills/drivers. I was gifted one of their jackets a few years ago, and still use it routinely for dog walking. Hope that helps!

Bucur

Enlightened
Based on my street bike experience with heated gear, I cannot imagine a better way to keep warm at 30F on an ATV. There are two main power sources for heated gear: the vehicle's 12V electrical circuit and portable rechargeable batteries (usually 7.4V Lithium Polymer). I am using both.

If the alternator of your ATV can pump out enough amps for the heated gear, in addition to the current consumption of the vehicle, like most big touring bikes and modern sportier bikes do; 12V is usually the preferred way. Rechargeable battery types do not tax the vehicle's electrical circuit and they work off the bike (ATV) too, until their batteries deplete. You can swap batteries, though.

There are very good jacket and vest liners on the motorcycle accessories market, as well as gloves, socks or insoles and pants. I suggest you determine your vehicle's own current consumption first, then your alternator's power and see how much current you can spare for electric clothing, taking into account some losses. No electric circuit is 100% efficient.

Then, decide on what to wear and how to control the heat setting of each peace. Usually, dual controllers adjust the heat setting of a jacket liner or vest liner plus one additional item (gloves or socks or insoles or pants). The third item needs to be controlled in conjunction with the second one and this is not a particularly comforting setup most of the time. The controllers can be wired or connected via Bluetooth for ease of use.

There is a lot to be said on this subject but I hope the above will give you some food for thought.

brokenmonitor

Newly Enlightened
I used to have one from a company called "Volt" didn't last that long and the heat didn't work too well. Generally not worth the trouble in my opinion.

I had had heated ski boots and those were incredible, I'd personally avoid anything past that and just opt for more clothing but with super effective pieces: hood, balaclava, mittens over gloves, silks under your clothing, etc

BVH

Flashaholic
When I rode the Goldwing , heated vests for my wife and I and heated chaps for here. I had the heated gloves also and those were very very effective. CAn't remember the brand name but was the big name at the time - 1994-2004

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can highly recommend the Milwaukee heated gear.
The jackets use two heating zones and can be powered by either the lithium 12 or 18 volt batteries.

Also of note, Milwaukee makes a heated NFL style hand warmer.

I always thought heated handgrips for snow blowers were just a gimmick until I purchased my Ariens blower.

Between the jacket and heated grips, snow removal isn't that big a deal any longer.

peatytheamp

Newly Enlightened
I'm an electrician in northern Illinois and work outside quite a bit. This is my fourth year using a Milwaukee heated jacket. I have found them well worth the investment for my line of work.

I also use mine under my hunting clothes.

They can be purchased with a battery and charger. With the pockets, chest and back on high I get about 2hrs if runtime. They do make a 12v plug that will power the coat off of your vehicle.

Bucur

Enlightened
When I rode the Goldwing , heated vests for my wife and I and heated chaps for here. I had the heated gloves also and those were very very effective. CAn't remember the brand name but was the big name at the time - 1994-2004

The "big name" at the time would most likely be Gerbing. They are still in the market but now, they are called Gyde by Gerbing. Firstgear, Tourmaster, Powerlet and Hotwired are also big names now. They all make "liners" to be worn under regular motorcycle clothing. There are also some stand-alone motorcycle specific jackets and pants as well. They all offer heat controllers of different configurations designed specifically for motorcycles. Contemporary heating elements with Microwire technology are much improved compared to earlier models with regular heated wires. Some offerings rely on Carbon Nanocore heating elements for infrared heating.