• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Rofis R1 Features Comparison with Rofis TR10

pc_light

Enlightened
Since I already own the Rofis TR10 articulating head/swivel flashlight, my review will focus on a comparison of the new Rofis R1 to that model; leaving any detailed performance and impressions of the new R1 for others to reviewer.

JhqmOkm.jpg

New Rofis R1 (left) and original Rofis TR10 (right)
493lBQC.jpg

Ye6kqY9

The TR10 is still actively being sold at the time of this review and the naming convention is slightly different, so whether or not Rofis intended the latter to be an upgrade of the former, to the extent they share the same-cell CR123/16350, swivel head, magnetic based form factor, I consider the R1 to be an upgrade (or at least a successor) to the earlier TR10.

Here are some feature comparisons –

Similarities between the TR10 and R1 (with slight differences noted for R1)
  • Approximate length (-2.2mm, shorter) and thickness, and weight (-3g, lighter)
  • Aero Grade Aluminum, Black HAIII anodized
  • 0-90 degree swivel of the head
  • Single-cell 1x CR123 and RCR123/16340 battery compatible
  • Single side-button on/off, levels switch with battery level/lock-out sm-led indicator
  • Flat Magnetic tail-cap with lanyard hole and included wrist lanyward
  • Removable Pocket Clip (attached more forward and larger for better deep pocket carry)
  • Direct access Moonlight mode (2-sec press from Off) and easy access hidden/special modes (triple click)
  • Direct access (memory) to last mode from off
  • IPX-8 rating, 1M drop rated
  • 5yr/60mo warranty

Differences noticed in R1 versus previous TR10 (with notes)
  • Stainless steel bezel ring for added durability (and aesthetics)
    • Larger rubber side button vs previous smaller plastic button(Both are translucent and permit the green/red battery level sm-led to show)
Ye6kqY9.jpg

• Clockwise swivel from straight (smooth turning) vs previous counter-clockwise (slightly tight)
  • Anodizing at the tail-cap and tail-end threads vs the TR10 tail and cap threads are un-anodized
7m3TMb4.jpg

• XM-L2 U2 (slightest green tint cool neutral; photo left) vs XP-L HI V3 Binned Emitters (pure white cooler neutral; photo right)
    • This could be due to emitter tint variation but in my case I preferred the TR10’s white tint.
(Taken with lights ~3-ft from wall, both beams are traditional reflector type hot-spot with large spill corona.)
wQkWrr1.jpg

• Smooth vs orange peel surfaced reflectors
    • Interestingly. as a result both beam patterns appear quite similar even though the XM-L2 is generally considered a spready beam while the XP-L’s is considered a throwy beam.
(Both beams are relatively more throwy than flood)​
lW11WXv.jpg

• Spring at tail-cap with a slightly recessed brass button at driver side vs springs on both ends of body
    • Eliminating a spring may have contributed to the overall reduction in body length, possibly at the expense of some shock absorbing compared to having springs at both ends of the battery. A recessed brass button provides additional passive polarity protection, however use of flat top batteries could then become an issue in the R1 (to be confirmed).
nGj8YJx.jpg

• R1 inside diameter is approx. 17.3mm vs TR10 i.d. = 16.9mm
    • More 16340 battery options with the R1
User Interface

• Press from On and R1 cycles Low-Med-Hi-repeat (3-level cycle) vs
    • TR10 cycles Low-Med-Hi-Hi2-Turbo-repeat (5-level cycle)
    • The R1 offers instant access to Turbo from any level (including from Off) by double clicking, which by the way has a nice fade up/down to/from Turbo brightness.
    • The TR10 must be cycled through all levels to reach Turbo. As a result a TR10 user may find it necessary to first cycle/ramp through the 5-levels in order to determine whether they’ve actuated Turbo particularly since Hi, Hi2 and Turbo are all very bright.
  • Last Mode Memory and Turbo handling
    • R1 remembers any of the (3) standard mode in the cycle, which excludes Moonlight and Turbo
    • TR10 remember any of the (5) standard modes in the cycle including Turbo, but which excludes Moonlight
  • Moonlight Mode
    • Immediately accessible on both models from Off, by holding down switch for 2-3 secs. before releasing button
    • Holding button down for more than 3-4 secs activates/deactivates the electronic Lock-out feature (which is nicely indicated by Moonlight turning On/Off)

New features only with the R1
  • Built-in external magnetic USB charge port
  • Included Magnetic USB charging cable
  • Included Rofis 16340 700 mAh Lithium battery
YMnALhr.jpg
K3tmiyo.jpg

• Included Headband and rubber holder for use use as a headlamp (the activation button is partially blocked when used in this fashion.)
m13i29C.jpg

Mfg's Specifications

MoonLowMidHighHigh 2Turbo
Rofis R1 using 16340 battery
0.51060300-900-300
480 Hrs40 Hrs7.5 Hrs70 min-0.5 + 65 mins
Rofis TR10 using 16340 battery
31870300600-300900-300
70 Hrs29 Hrs2.8 Hrs60 min4.3+40 mins2+40 min
Rofis TR10 using CR123a Primary
31870300450-300700-300
160 Hrs60 Hrs3 Hrs1.3 Hrs2+72 Mins4.3+66 Min

• The R1 appears to have a slightly more efficient driver.
  • There were no performance specifications provided for the R1 using CR123a primaries, presumably because it is provided with and built to charge a RCR123/16340 battery.

Size comparison, including a popular AA model -
Rofis R1 (left), Rofis TR10 (center), Utorch UT01 (right)
N9PHq3k.jpg

The new longer deep-pocket clip is a nice improvement as clips go. The trade-off is that this limits where the clip can be positioned when the light is swiveled. If the clip is positioned on the bottom opposite the activation button (similar to where I typically position my TR10 clip), it impedes full swivel to 90-degrees.
QMUATrb.jpg

If the clip is positioned opposite the swiveled head during full 90-degrees, the activation button is blocked.
(While not desirable for normal on/off functionality, it does serve as a form of physical lock-out.)
Z155GJN.jpg

This limits the position to either side or complete removal from the light, in order to swivel to the full 90-degree position.
xP2PZQx.jpg

JhqmOkm

JhqmOkm
Here is the Rofis R1 and TR10 outside on Turbo, the trees are approximately 50-feet (15+m) away. Despite the difference in reflector texture and emitters, the combinations result in comparable beam patterns and throw.
I9e6jbK.jpg

Conclusion -

The Rofis R1 is a nice upgrade of features to an already good swivel head light. I actually prefer the R1's reduced 3-light level standard cycle (nicely spaced) with full-time hidden direct access to Turbo, over the TR10's 5-level cycle which includes Turbo in the standard cycle. Turbo drastically shortens battery life hence I prefer to limit its use and keep it out of the normally used modes. When called upon (with a simply double click) the R1's Turbo ramps up gently, and will fade off when turned off; a nice effect. Of course if one prefers being able to have single-click instant access to the memorized Turbo mode then the TR10 would be the better option.

The R1's smooth reflector/XM-L2 emitter combo works well and throws comparably to the TR10's orange peel/XP-L combo. On the basis of battery run-time specs, the R1 might have an advantage with a slightly more efficient driver compared to the TR10's. FWIW. my R1 seems to have a slightly warmer emitter (with a slight green tint) than the cooler pure white of my TR10 but it's still on the cool side as tints go or at most neutral. Rofis did not indicate any specific emitter Bin information so, we'll need more experience from other users before drawing any conclusions on the R1's tint characteristic.

The smoother clockwise swivel on the R1 seems more natural to me (as a right-hander) than the tighter counter-clockwise twist of the TR10. The R1's longer pocket clip is more practical in that it sits deeper in the pocket and thus offers more carry options compared to the shorter TR10 clip. Unfortunately a longer clip also means some interference with the head if swiveled.

On the one hand the wider R1 battery tube ensures a greater choice of batteries, on the other hand the absence of a spring contact at the driver side limits such battery use, (admittedly, I did not have any flat-top 16340 cells to actually test, so hopefully other users can confirm.)

In addition to any improvements mentioned above, the new USB charging feature, included Rofis 700 mAh 16340 battery and adjustable headband narrow the the practical price difference between the new R1 and the earlier (now lower priced) TR10.

[Some Follow-up at Post#6]

[Full Disclosure - the R1 was provided by Rofis in exchange for my review with no other conditions or obligations. I have no relationship with Rofis or any Rofis dealers (other than having previously purchased a TR10 from the retail market.)

Last edited:

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Great review! I also have both the R1 (arrived today) and the TR10 and agree with a lot of your findings in comparing the two.

pc_light

Enlightened
Great review! I also have both the R1 (arrived today) and the TR10 and agree with a lot of your findings in comparing the two.
Thanks KuroNekko.

It would be good to hear whether you experienced the same relative tints with your two lights? Also, feel free to add any other experiences. I haven't put mine through any run-time tests and probably won't so if you have those to add later on that would help to determine whether or not the R1 really does have a more efficient driver.

Enjoy.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Thanks KuroNekko.

It would be good to hear whether you experienced the same relative tints with your two lights? Also, feel free to add any other experiences. I haven't put mine through any run-time tests and probably won't so if you have those to add later on that would help to determine whether or not the R1 really does have a more efficient driver.

Enjoy.

It's funny you mentioned the tints because it's something I noticed about them too. I always considered my TR10 as one of the more warm-leaning neutral white lights I own. However, the R1 is even more on the warm side, closer to the lower part of the 4000K range. I also noticed that when using Turbo, the outer rings emit a rather cool white hue with some bluish purple. It's odd because the center hot spot is still very warm. Given the different emitters and the different reflector types between the TR10 and the R1, the light is noticeably different between them but not in a drastic way.

My review will be very much field-based. I don't have technical equipment and there are others who are experienced at writing stellar technical reviews. Mine will be more based on field carry during a night hike. I just used my R1 for the first time yesterday so I'll be testing it out more over the course of a week or so.
The only thing I've timed so far was the turbo step-down which was at 32 seconds, coming in close to Rofis' claims of a 30 second turbo.

rofisbenny

Newly Enlightened
Thank you do review for us ,it is very nice .
R1 has more function , you will be love with it .
If you can send this review to other places so much the better :laughing:

pc_light

Enlightened
Here are some additional observations after 30-days of probationary usage and follow-up of my initial impressions. Overall I find the Rofis R1 is :thumbsup:

Things I like about the light -

• Small and pocketable
  • Relatively good thrower for the size
  • Good run-times between charges
  • Sealed magnetic charging (no more fiddling with batteries and end caps)
  • Magnetic base, continues to come in handy
  • Swivel head, continues to feel smooth and secure
  • This particular UI (which is not unique to the R1) has definitely become my personal favorite:
- direct access to Moonlight (press -n hold),
- direct access to Turbo, and (quick double-click)
- direct access to last mode/memory (single-click)

The R1 stores the last-mode used even if direct access to Turbo or Moonlight has been used. Most other lights lose their last-mode memory once any other mode has been activated. (The Nitecore TIP has a similar UI but achieves it using two buttons nevertheless this makes switching between the two lights easy for me.)​

Things I think could be improved -
The R1's smooth reflector with a hot-spot and spill are great for occasions such as when running. However, that throwiness takes away from the R1's friendliness for close-up lighting, a diffuser cap for those occasions would have been helpful, particularly since the swivel head and included headband invite it to be used as a headlamp. I can DC Fixed the lens but then I have to peel it off for throw when needed.

I'm going to eventually find/rig something better than a bottle cap for on demand diffusion.
t8vgmyQ.jpg

Other observations I've since determined –

• The pocket clip is kind of a love/hate thing. I love that it's deep-pocket but when the head is swiveled, it often seems to get in the way. The good thing is that it rotates easily.
  • I have determined that the polarity protection does require the use of button top batteries that protrude at least 0.5 mm. For example this particular battery wasn't raised enough to work.
oCoX9xD.jpg

• The beam's greenish tint (which to be fair is not really that bad, certainly no more than my SF Titan or some other premium lights) appears to be "tint-shift" as a result of the LED and reflector geometry rather than the LED itself. I've noticed the same greenish tint in several others' posted R1 beam shots.
  • The XM-L2 itself is neutral and shows no tint when the reflector is removed :rolleyes:. FYI, the LED is mounted on a nice copper MCPCB.

Overall the light is a good EDC. It's small, throwy and bright enough to be a pocket light. The swivel head and magnetic base (and included headband) make it quite useful as a headlamp/utility light. Some sort of flip-up/down diffuser cap would be the only option I could think of that would really set this light apart for all the others.

:thinking: Well, now that probation is over, I might try to do something about that tint ;)

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. The size comparison with the Utorch UT01 is especially helpful, since I currently carry the UT01 clipped to my back pocket.

This light is on my short list.

rofisbenny

Newly Enlightened
hello,Merry Christmas ~
We will make some adjustment to what you said in the next year.
especially,beam light ,uses battery compatibility ,ETC

pc_light

Enlightened
hello,Merry Christmas ~
We will make some adjustment to what you said in the next year.
especially,beam light ,uses battery compatibility ,ETC
Hello RofisBenny, thanks for considering the comments.

The battery terminal design is Rofis' physical polarity protection and really isn't a problem. Most 16340 batteries are already button top so it was just an observation I thought potential users should know.

The R1 currently has a relatively throwy beam and I think under-appreciated as a pocket rocket. Should Rofis decide to change the beam I hope you would consider making the R1 good for Far-AND-Close use rather than separate models for Far-OR-Close up usage. A (de-)attachable diffuser or flip-up/down diffuser would allow the R1 to be both.

There is a grove around the front of the bezel that could serve as a convenient attachment point for a snap-on diffuser. A separate diffuser would be prone to loss, whereas a permanent flip-up/down type of diffuser would add bulk and/or require a bezel re-design, difficult choice. :thinking:
IJnpluE.jpg

In any event thanks for listening.

Happy New Year,
pc_light

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again for this review. I'll likely buy one of these in the next month or two, after finances recover from Christmas season.

The UI seems almost perfect for my uses and the mode spacing appeals to me, as well.

My main concern for hat brim use is that the clip may not allow enough rotation when the light is clipped on top of the brim, which is how I wear lights on a hat brim - always on top, never below. I suspect that there will still be enough adjustability to direct the light more where I want it than a completely straight light would allow.

I have to decide between the neutral white and the cool white.

I'd also like to have a flip up type diffuser that could be kept on the light, rather than stored separate from it.

The only thing that would stop me from buying this light would be a 1AAA version of the R lights for lighter weight use on a hat brim. But then again, I may just carry them both.

pc_light

Enlightened
One year in and the R1 is still running great. I've come to appreciate the magnetic charging port even more, allows me to top-up the cell on the fly without taking light apart or having to open a port cover.

Yeah, no luck on a flip diffuser. I got tired of the bottle cap and decided to put a donut shaped ring of dc-fix diffuser film on the lens full-time. I don't use the R1 for its throw anyway, even though it has relatively good throw.

The only thing that would stop me from buying this light would be a 1AAA version of the R lights for lighter weight use on a hat brim. But then again, I may just carry them both.

Too bad Rofis doesn't make a AAA articulating light, I bet it'd be great. The AAA light that folks seem to like is the Manker E02, fixed 90-degree though so might not be what you want.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AAA light that folks seem to like is the Manker E02, fixed 90-degree though so might not be what you want.

I've been carrying a Manker E02 for over a year, now and it has served me well as my dark-adjusted-eyes light, due to it's low moonlight, and as my backup hat brim light. No problems with it, but I always loosen the tail cap a bit to prevent accidental activation when clipped to my jeans pocket. The Rofis R1 would replace it in my daily carry.

I have a different 1AAA light that only weighs 30g with battery that's my main hat brim light. I'd love to replace it with an adjustable angle light that's not too much heavier.

pc_light

Enlightened
Good to hear another testimonial for the E02, I may have to consider one.

BTW, if you're planning to use the R1 with clip one of my observations was that the new longer deep pocket clip interfers with the bezel at certain angles. Since you're planning to wear it 'on top of the brim' rather than below, this could be a problem (see R1 on left); under the brim would work without issue. The TR10 with it's shorter clip might work better in your use case. Of course if you're using headband then it's not an issue.

QMUATrb.jpg

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pc_light, that last picture is very helpful to help me determine if the R1 will work on a cap for me.

I've been trying to find images that would help with that determination.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main spec preventing me from buying this light is the big jump from 60 lumens to 300 lumens.

I've prefer another level at about 120 to 150 lumens for more light than 60 lumens, but much longer run time than 300 lumens. Even 180 or 200 lumens would be an improvement for me.

Can the UI be modified to include that additional level?

Maybe the 60 lumen level would be good enough for most of my daily uses? 300 lumens seems like too much output for the majority of my uses.

pc_light

Enlightened
The main spec preventing me from buying this light is the big jump from 60 lumens to 300 lumens.

I've prefer another level at about 120 to 150 lumens for more light than 60 lumens, but much longer run time than 300 lumens. Even 180 or 200 lumens would be an improvement for me.

Can the UI be modified to include that additional level?

Maybe the 60 lumen level would be good enough for most of my daily uses? 300 lumens seems like too much output for the majority of my uses.
The jump from 60 to 300 lumens is significant and customizible levels (something similar to what the later generation Zebralights have) would be awesome but unfortunately not at this time.

Whether the R1 will work for you very much depends on whether or not 60 lumens as the Medium mode works for you. In my case I use the light for largely closer-up work and my usage is probably 45%@10 lmn, 50%@60lmn and maybe 5%@300lmn (& turbo) for longer distance viewing. In my case I probably wouldn't use a 120-180'ish lumen level mode much with this light, it'd be too bright for my close-up work/reading/etc. If I used the higher levels (e.g., 120-180 lmn) more extensively I'd probably use a different light entirely.

For me the R1 niche is (1) as an angle light, (2) a lightweight for headlamp or magnetic stick-up, and (3) magnetic charging without need for battery removal.

FWIW, here is the Rofis R1 (on the left) toggling between Medium (60) and High (300) compared to a Malkoff N61L (on Right; est. @160 lumens)

zONyG4n.gifv

zONyG4n.gif

Last edited: