I have 2 types of lights...

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
After buying and selling so many lights on this forum I think I've locked down what my flashlight priorities are. They seem to fall into 2 main categories...

First category is hard use / Duty. These lights need to have a straight body / tailcap to fit into a holster, tail switch, rotary interface or single mode, and be extremely reliable. I also need lights in this category to be able to run primary cells. Some examples from this category are: Malkoff 18650 HD, HDS Rotary Tactical, Elzetta Charlie AVS.

My second category is EDC. These lights need to be slim, have robust deep carry pocket clips, a broad beam pattern, 4000k - 5000k tint, and at least 70cri. I also need a forward clicky, no more that 3 modes starting with low, and no mode memory. Some examples from this category are: Oveready BOSS, Surefire LX2, and McGizmo Haiku.

Everytime I buy a light that does not fall into one of these 2 categories I end up selling it. What are some of your buying trends or categories of lights?

Last edited:

@hogesaybro

Newly Enlightened
What's your opinion of the Surefire E2L Outdoorsman compared with the LX2? It's dual output with low first is my preference too. This puts me off the E2D as I don't want to be blinded trying to take a leak at night. If I was doing security however it would be a great light.

matt4350

Enlightened
I'm with you, mk2rocco. Work light on the belt is Malkoff or Elzetta 3 cell, I can't think of something else that suits the job better. Outside of work I'll often carry an older 200lm 6px, it does everything for me. Anyone who thinks 200lm is outdated and insufficient can't have used one of these! Starts off with a great low and has a high that can dazzle when it's needed.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Anything Malkoff. For daily carry during the day I use a tiny AAA Fenix. At night I use a Malkoff MDC 16340. When working on set or location I have a Malkoff MD2 with L/M/H M61N carried in a Thor holster with two spare 18650 batteries.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in substantial agreement with the OP. I would only add battery types to the discussion. I'm unlikely to purchase anything that does not accept 18650's and/or CR 123's.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote: "What are some of your buying trends or categories of lights?"

I started off with buying just sheer brute force large reflector diameter power flooders, them branched out to buying large reflector diameter dedicated throwers, and now, I am interested in acquiring large size lights that combine both throw and power. The Acebeam X65vn is currently my most exciting light in this area. One notch up in excitement for me is two of them, one in each hand. If its successor does not appear soon, I will gang up three or more of them.

For routine utilitarian use, I have smaller lights, too.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have 2 types of flashlights too.

Users and Collectors.
I have seen light come from every one of my collectors before they go on display. But some are very finicky to get to operate. Especially the really early type that were less than reliable when new and 100+ years didn't not change that. Crude to us now, but genious at the time. Yet like the first pnuematic tires, durability was not one of their strong points.

The users on the other hand are rock solid performers for their given task. So I don't go chasing after the newest this or prettiest that... unless it's made by a select few whose role is to provide lighting tools for life or death applications. I actually have a lot more users than collectors because to me they are tools. Most don't get used, but their intended purpose was to use them. Like my selection of ratchets and screw drivers I have some favorite flashlights that get used most often because they fit a general purpose need, plus they suit my taste.

Sometimes I collect users too. I went on a Pentagon spree at one point, accumulated a bunch of Streamlights and slowly have a decent SureFire collection. I also accumulated a slew of 1970's cop lights that rarely go out to play. But my "user" collection are all rock solid performers went the chips are down.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
I'm similar at the moment. I have a Malkoff and LE-1+ for work that I actually use and a Malkoff MDC for my pocket. I have a few assorted lights at home. I wouldn't say I have a collection but I'd like to expand on my home lights because I think they're cool gadgets to have.

Work lights must meet pretty strict criteria though: Tough, reliable, simple to operate and minimal different modes.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my work lights I've found I NEED the ability to select the mode before the light turns on. After using lights with a rotary interface I've come to rely on it.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
For my work lights I've found I NEED the ability to select the mode before the light turns on. After using lights with a rotary interface I've come to rely on it.

I have a Wolf Eyes Pro Police with a rotary tail cap which was useful if I didn't want high mode first time every time. Most of my work involves traffic and stopping cars so I've found that high mode first with the option to dial it down to a low mode is ideal.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep, i only have two type of lights. Handhelds, and headlamps :)

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep, i only have two type of lights. Handhelds, and headlamps :)

I like that.

I have let go of my collectible lights, and so I guess my two main circles in a Venn diagram (with as much crossover as possible) are build quality and power to weight ratio.

I think I pretty much like headlamps for high quality central and peripheral lighting, with good tint and efficiency, and hand held lights for good throw and efficiency... right now the long time favorite for headlamp and edc power/ weight is a ZL H600w or H600Fw, (with H style pocket clip for edc),
while the new sweetheart for power/weight handheld thrower is the Emisar D1vn.
- The D1 with an 18350 battery tube is a ridiculously powerful, tiny, and capable thrower, it doesn't ride flat, but you can put it into the watch pocket of a pair of jeans and forget about it being there.

Last edited:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF and Malkoff on one end... all the others on the other end - EDC custom lights (OR, etc). Yeah, basically 2 types here. Nice thread.

cp2315

Enlightened
Wish I have a cool job that requires use of a flashlight all day. Unfortunately all my flashlights are for fun. They are "used" officially only during a couple of camping trips every year.

KBobAries

Enlightened
I have 4 types of lights; EDC/heavy use, occasional use, project lights, and those I should sell.

The first are my EDC and work lights. I switch between a stock 18650 Hound Dog and a 6P custom; no rhyme or reason there. These 2 are used dozens of times each day or night pre-tripping tractors & trailers. When I'm in street clothes there's an HDS that I bought from Henry almost 8 years ago at SHOT show flopping around in my front pocket with loose change and keys. All of these are pretty well dinged up. ;)

Occasional use are my night stand (bored 6P & drop-in), glove box (Nitecore AA), and house lights. The house lights are another HDS on the kitchen pass-through counter and Malkoff M31L 219B in a VME/4 Leaf setup on the window sill by the front door. I'll grab whichever one of these is closest. Add a camping/hunting light in this group; various colored drop-ins with a bored 6P in a Pelican case. A couple UV lights for scorpion hunting and general messing around.

Next are my project lights and these will be purpose built to fit the first 2 categories. My nightstand light is one of these. Bored 6P; Oveready/Moddoolar clip, tailcap, lens, and crenelated bezel ring; Cryos cooling bezel, and high amp switch. The body is cerakoted dark red while the bezel ring and clip are black. I added a couple O-rings as further black accents. The drop-in is a Vinh quad mule and and outstanding room flooder. I am extremely pleased with how this one turned out. My 6P work light is another but since it was going to get dinged up I focused on the internals and paid little attention to its appearance. Bored 6P, Cryos cooling bezel and stand off slim tail cap with high-amp switch. The drop-in is a Tana TripleD 219 high CRI. Next project is an MD1 in search of a drop-in to sit on the end table by my easy chair. I have a couple more after that but haven't decided which direction I want to go with those.

Lastly are those that need to be sold. The collectibles are pretty much gone leaving mostly work lights which were superseded by more efficient, practical, and useful lights. Remember when an incandescent A2 was "the thing" to have? Ditto an LX2 Lumamax. It served a purpose at the time but my job description has changed and I find it impractical for current use with its tight beam pattern. Add incandescent Streamlight Stinger and Strion lights to this group. Nice way back when but nothing I have a use for now. They're all still around because I haven't found the motivation to dust them off, take pictures, and get them listed on eBay. I often wonder if it's worth the effort for the pittance they'll bring.

I truly wish I'd had more discretion several years ago. I got caught up in that newbie flashaholic phase buying whatever struck my fancy without researching the light first. I became quickly disenchanted with the UI, unimpressed with its tint, or some other issue. Repeat that process when the next latest and greatest hit the market. I could have saved some coin and ended up with a half dozen or so useful and often used lights instead of having a dozen or more sitting unused in a drawer.

I still see some amazing lights come out and have to resist the urge to have one of everything. I've forced myself to focus on beam quality & tint, single 18650 or 2 CR123 format, and simple UIs. No more having 6 battery types with associated chargers cluttering up the place. Nor do I want 18 output levels, 15 clicks/12 double clcks/7 clicks-and-hold, and 5 flashy/blinky stages to cycle through. Yuck! Give me a simple hi/lo like my Hound Dog or simple L/M/H sans memory. :)

Dan

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I have a lot of categories now that I consider it....

1) This light is gonna sit around doing nothing most of the time, but when I need it I'm really going to need it!

• This means high quality, zero parasitic drain, temperature insensitive (aka Lithium batteries) and tough/waterproof with a reliable switch and very simple operation. Must also have a powerful "High" and a long runtime "low" mode.
  • This category includes the "eFlares", headlamps, and flashlights that are in my vehicles and my weapon lights.

2) Pocket EDC/Work light and "nightstand"

• Small (1xAAA size) around 80 Lumens, simple on/off (fancy modes need not apply) and tough enough to handle being in a pocket with keys, coins, et-all.
  • The Nightstand version needs a pretty low "low" mode (8-10 lumens)

3) "Door" lights

We border a large open field and some woods with a fair sized back yard. There is a 500 lumen light at each door (front and rear) mounted in a charger so that they are always ready to go for dog walking or if we need to check out a "bump in the night". These generally get nightly use.

4) WOW lights and collectibles

By far my largest number of lights and includes several genuine antiques like a c1930 all brass "Mine Approved" flashlight and an unknown era police "handlight". I keep promising myself I'm going to make some sort of display case for these lights because some of them are genuinely pretty to look at, especially the all brass stuff.

WOW lights are the ones with all the bells and whistles, or the ones that will illuminate the moon, or ignite paper, you know what I'm talking about.:naughty:

Last edited: