Question about state/provincial vehicle safety inspections

eggsalad

Enlightened
Couple of threads lately made me ponder this...

Preface: I last lived in a state that required vehicle safety inspections in 1985 (New York). Back in those days, certain inspectors in certain states would fail a vehicle if it had so-called "e-code" lighting units installed. PA was particularly notorious for this. People who had installed Hella/Cibie/Marchal, etc. fixtures in their cars would routinely swap them out for old sealed beams before taking vehicles in for inspection, then swap the "e-codes" back in as soon as they got their sticker.

Fast forward to today...

Recently there have been a couple of threads regarding the legality of certain bulbs in specific jurisdictions. I'm curious... are state/provincial inspectors (or contractors) physically removing bulbs from headlight fixtures in order to look at the bulbs' compliance markings? If that's the case, I'm astounded, because several-to-many vehicles today require significant disassembly to remove headlight bulbs.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently there have been a couple of threads regarding the legality of certain bulbs in specific jurisdictions. I'm curious... are state/provincial inspectors (or contractors) physically removing bulbs from headlight fixtures in order to look at the bulbs' compliance markings? If that's the case, I'm astounded, because several-to-many vehicles today require significant disassembly to remove headlight bulbs.

99.9% of inspections are to see if the horn honks and lights do slightly more than flicker.