6054 options

hsa

Enlightened
Right now I am spending money on shoulder therapy to try and avoid surgery but I will re-visit this when I see how things turn out. I certainly apreciate the advice and help though.
Thanks
Harry

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I am spending money on shoulder therapy to try and avoid surgery

Ouch. Hopefully you can avoid the surgery, both for the monetary reasons and the surgery reasons.

One thing to keep in mind that it's a '92, that wiring may be a bit degraded (a voltage drop test should be done to prove that). You might need to install relays to deliver the voltage those halogens need.

haha1234

Newly Enlightened
The GE Nighthawk is the cheapest good option. The JW Speaker is a great product and priced accordingly.

A middle of the road option is the famous Hella E-Codes. About $100 or so for the pair.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Hella "E-codes" may be "famous" in terms of how often they're mentioned in knowledge-free internet chatterboxing, but they are not a good option. Their performance is (objectively) poor on low beam, and they have an obnoxious focus issue (low beams too low or high beams too high, you can't have both beams placed optimally). Be careful out there; there is a massive amount of garbage on the market. If you want replaceable-bulb headlamps but have to stick to a budget, the Hella Vision Plus (SAE, not "E-code") is a much better choice. Equip them with these bulbs and aim them in accordance with the VOL specification as per this page.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will do the voltage test. Is the factory relay too light duty? The truck has been garaged and has 75,000 miles on it.

At that age, corrosion will have occured by now (the 75,000 miles will have introduced mechanical degradation of the wiring and terminations)-- and even brand new it might not have had as effective wiring as it could have. A new relayed wiring set solves both potential issues.

Random Guy

Enlightened
From a performance perspective, how do the Hella Vision Plus units compare to the Nighthawks?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Longer seeing distance with the Night Hawks, but wider and more even coverage across the width of the road, and an easier time driving in bad weather, with the Vision Plus. Also the VP is easier to aim, and in the long run the VP is more cost-effective than the NH.