Is Ding in Battery Dangerous

recDNA

Flashaholic
My cell phone battery has some dings. I ordered from the bay. Seems to charge OK but seeking expert opinions about whether you think it is safe to use? Thanks!
64b9dc54677dd2b57340fee451df5783.jpg

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello recDNA,

I don't like dings.

As far as safety goes, it is not as safe as it would be if there were no dings.

Tom

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hello recDNA,

I don't like dings.

As far as safety goes, it is not as safe as it would be if there were no dings.

Tom
Thanks. It's frustrating to throw away what seems to be a good battery but I know nothing of it's construction so it is hard to know if it is covering dinged or some essential battery components.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's likely fine but, safe or not, I would never pay full price for a damaged new item. Not to mention, one without dings would definitely be more safe lol.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I wish I understood the construction of this battery better. In an unprotected 18660 a little ding probably would be harmless as I understand it

terjee

Enlightened
If there is a protection circuit, then it'd most likely be at the "top", where the contacts are. At least that's typically the norm.

As for safety, I don't recognize this battery brand, so I'd consider it a safety hazard even without the dings. ;-)

Not trying to put it down or anything, just be sure it's from a vendor with a good reputation. It takes a lot of skill to make a safe LiPo battery, and they are real hazards when they're not safe.

As a random data point, tiny Norway alone, with a population about half that of New York City has had 75 known actual fires from a single product with a bad batch of batteries.

I don't care if people buy original or not, but quality is important.

Hope it's clear that I'm not at all trying to put you down in any way, it's just that I care, as cheesy as that might sound. ;-) These things are just really scary if they go exothermal in the middle of the night.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are pretty small. It's probably ok. Dings large enough they might damage some of the layers of battery material are a problem.

The challenge is, there's no good way of knowing that I'm aware of.

If the seller advertised it as "Like new," it clearly is not.