Less than $25 TRUE keychain light?

entoptics

Enlightened
Haven't been in the light world for awhile, and am looking for a keychain light to replace the NiteCore Tube I'm about to give away to a needy friend. I EDC a Zebralight, and always have at least one "tactical" light in the truck, so this is not by any stretch a "primary" light for me. Just want a backup to be there at all times.

1) As small or smaller than than the old school EOS A3. Preferably smaller. The Tube was about perfect.

2) Couple of modes. This rules out Olight i3E. 5-10ish and 30-40ish lumens are plenty, but an extra mode or two is fine, and more lumens is definitely good.

3) Prefer a clicky or button switch, but twisty is not at all a show stopper.

4) $25 is absolute max, but it will have to be pretty good to keep me from just buying another $10 Tube.

5) Rechargeable like tube is pretty sweet, but I have plenty of LSD AAA around, so that is good too. Almost certainly don't want a coin cell light, unless it's insanely cheap or insanely good.

6) Beam quality and tint isn't particularly important. Floody preferred. As mentioned, the most likely use for this will be to find another "real" light in the truck because my EDC randomly died.

7) Robust enough to be thrashed around in a pocket, but doesn't need to be ultra tough or waterproof really.

Thoughts? Should I just buy another Tube and be done with it, or is there something better out there?

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're happy with the Tube, that's a very easy option. The Fenix UC01 is very similar.

It looks like the A3 EOS is still available on Amazon?

I didn't realize it before, but I guess the Olight i3S is larger than the i3E, so that's also out?

There has recently gotten to be a decent number of miniature lights powered by the tiny 10180 lithium ion battery - it's the diameter of a AAA, but less than half the length. The Fenix UC02 and Jetbeam Mini-1 are two examples. They are twisties with USB charging.

entoptics

Enlightened
As far as I know, the A3 EOS and i3S are pretty much the same, and would be "maximum size" for me. I've had a bunch of them over the years (in fact, my profile pic shows an SS A3 with a magnet installed), and given a bunch as gifts. Love them, but features+size+price don't quite add up for keychain duty for me.

The Mini-1 and UC02 are looking pretty awesome. Thanks for the heads up on those. Not sure I wanna drop $25 though. What's the CPF crowd wisdom on which is the better light? You know of any others that are similar?

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore TIP gets my vote! Bigger though and can't use the AAA's.
Has built in battery, 1-40-150- and 220-360 lumens boost depending on model, usb charging, $15-22 right now with my google search.
Yes i have one, 2016 model though, new ones come with clip too and i think they fixed the lockout problems but not sure. Im hard on stuff but mine still going strong after a year.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mini-1 and UC02 are looking pretty awesome. Thanks for the heads up on those. Not sure I wanna drop $25 though. What's the CPF crowd wisdom on which is the better light? You know of any others that are similar?

Since I haven't used either, I can only mention that Fenix is the better known brand.

The other similar lights that I know of all exceed $25.

Something to be aware of is the 10180 batteries are pretty uncommon - I think aside from buying a replacement directly from Fenix at a relatively high cost, the other main options are Chinese discount sellers like Gearbest or Banggood. I don't think that should be a serious issue, but since these little lights draw pretty hard from that tiny battery on high mode, I'm guessing a replacement will be needed every couple of years.

I don't think they're a slam dunk versus just getting another Tube or trying out the similar Fenix UC01 at about half the cost, but in the output vs. size category, they're hard to beat.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
I own a Jetbeam Mini-1. It's the perfect keychain light because it's small, powerful, and USB-rechargeable. What also makes the Mini-1 unique from the others is that it's Stainless Steel. Many others are aluminum. The SS body is very tough and doesn't show scratches at the cost of being a bit heavier than aluminum and costly titanium ones. It also has a glass lens so it doesn't scratch like plastic ones. For output, High is around 130 lumens and Low is around 9 lumens in a twisty interface. Remove the head to expose a MicroUSB port to charge. This makes it super easy to charge on the go by car, computer, phone charger, etc.

Also, if you aren't aware of Gearbest or Banggood, it's time to get on board. If you buy any flashlight made in China by a Chinese company, then these China-based sites are the best place to get them for their low prices and sales. Speaking of which, the Jetbeam Mini-1 is currently on flash sale for $17.99 on Gearbest. I acquired mine over a year and a half ago in a similar sale and it's been rock solid.
Also, there is no worry regarding 10180 batteries as these sites sell them for cheap. I got 2 extra for about a dollar each.

entoptics

Enlightened
Thanks for all the tips. Very helpful.

Decided to go with the $18 JetBeam Mini 1 from Gearbest. The size is perfect, but it was a little bit more than I wanted to pay. If the light is as advertised though, it should last long enough to be worth it.

Gearbest also has a screaming deal on the NiteCore TIP. High CRI in black or silver for $16-$17, and XPG2 in silver is $15. Was a tough choice. The features of the TIP are better, but the thing is pretty darn big for a keychain light. Doesn't weigh much, but the bulk is about the same as two of the iTP/Olight/Thrunite/etc AAA twisty style lights stuck together side by side. Size of a keyless entry fob pretty much.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the tips. Very helpful.

Decided to go with the $18 JetBeam Mini 1 from Gearbest. The size is perfect, but it was a little bit more than I wanted to pay. If the light is as advertised though, it should last long enough to be worth it.

Gearbest also has a screaming deal on the NiteCore TIP. High CRI in black or silver for $16-$17, and XPG2 in silver is $15. Was a tough choice. The features of the TIP are better, but the thing is pretty darn big for a keychain light. Doesn't weigh much, but the bulk is about the same as two of the iTP/Olight/Thrunite/etc AAA twisty style lights stuck together side by side. Size of a keyless entry fob pretty much.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

I don't think you'll regret the Mini-1. I love mine and quite a few members here have one on their keys. It's tough, works well, and has a neutral tint instead of cool (which many seem to prefer). 10180 batteries are also replaceable and aren't too hard to come by.

wernerh

Newly Enlightened
Sorry - a bit late on the reply and hope the JetBeam Mini 1 works well for you.
My personal favorite key-chain flashlight right now is the Helius Sigma VI
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSZ2YKZ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

It's currently $18.99 (for the black model) on Amazon (shipped free with Prime).
NOTE: Although the page indicates it's using a 10180 battery - it's actually a 10150 battery (at least that's what's inside my Sigma VI).

Reasons I like it:
Just a little smaller than typical 10180 light (since the 10150 battery is a bit shorter).
Quality light at a good price
Solid construction and smooth operation (smooth twist on/off)
Low beam is 20 Lumens (bit brighter than 8-10 lumens on others), same 130 lumens at high beam.
10150 battery is 90maH (typical 10180 is 70maH) - so a bit more capacity

Concerns: Sourcing a 10150 Battery - but I expect these to become more popular soon.
Got it in just a couple days from Amazon (verses a few weeks from Gearbest ...etc).

I've had mine on my key-chain for about 3 months and it works quite well.

Good luck.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Well, I love Nitecore's TIP, but its price is above your limit so you might want to consider buying two Tubes! I love wearing a Tube on a lanyard.

Let us know what you decide!