3X123 format as the upper limit for what can be comfortably EDCed

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Malkoff Hound Dog and several Surefire 9P clones with various Malkoff clones in them.

But that's not what I want to talk about today, rather the feasibility of EDC 9P sized devices. I found out that 6P is comfortable device to EDC but the 9P format has more real estate to hold on to, and still feasible to EDC. 9P and Malkoff MD3 lights with any module fit well.

Lights that encompass 4x123 or 2x18650 -I've tried for the last 10 years to EDC them and they are just a fraction of an inch too big to fit anywhere. None of my pockets in none of my attire. Not coat pockets, not jeans pockets, not any of tactical pants pockets. They either stick out or don't feel comfortable. This is rather sad as the 4x123 or 2x18650 is a nice, long-lasting and powerful device given the right module. I think 4x123 or MD4 type lights belong on the belt. Not in a pocket.

Today I downgraded my MD4 Hound Dog to MD3 and wow - I can actually fit it in my pockets and do so with comfort. I used to EDC a Surefire 9P clone (FiveMega with some Malkoff module) and that was rather nice. Higher lumens than 6P or better runtime versus some other modules.

Who else feels like the Surefire 9P and similar clones is the upper limit of what can be comfortably EDC'ed?

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, my upper limit starts at one cell. Anything bigger than one 18350 is pushing it for me. Maybe - just maybe -once in a while, I'll carry an 18650 like my BOSS 70. I've tried carrying my two cell lights before but could never justify the extra bulk.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately I have embraced the 3 cell light as a feasible carry light, not everyday, but definitely when I know I will be handling the light a good bit. I find the 3 CR123 size tends to stay upright in my pockets a little better and like you said, the added real estate keeps it in my hand comfortably and confidently. I don't think I've ever tried four cells, however.
Some Elzetta Charlie's and a Strion DS (not a 3 cell, but 3 cell sized) have been filling the role well lately.

Ishango

Enlightened
Interesting discussion! To me for EDC as in jeans pocket carry the max really is 18650 or 2xCR123A or 2xAA at most, but usually is 1xCR123A / 1xAA. The only 3xCR123 light in my collection is the M30 Triton, which definitely does not EDC well. I would certainly try out the mentioned lights if I can get my hands on one, sooner or later, but I think 18650 or 2xAA is my actual max. I for example also have the Nitecore MH2A and I find that to be too long to pocket carry comfortably already (slightly longer than the average 2xAA size).

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that 3x123 is the maximum. I used to edc my Elzetta Charlie, but after a year or so I became fatigued by it. I normally carry MD2 sized lights now. Since cargo pockets are part of the discussion, I find myself more comfortably able to tote a pair of MD2 sized lights than one 3 cell light.

@etc. Have you considered using a HD 18650? You do sacrifice some "real estate" but it's more compact and has, in my view, a better run time graph than the HD XML on a pair of 18500's.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If I'm spending most of my day vertical 2-3 x 123's is added to my edc group.

If it's a day with a lot of sitting, just the daily 1x 123 is carried along with a 1x aaa.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
EDC to me is having a couple of basic items for simple tasks if you're caught away from a better tool. I EDC a 1 x CR123 Malkoff and a basic Swiss Army knife. If I'm likely to need more light or a specific tool I'd rather just take it for the specific thing I need it for. Carrying any light bigger than a single CR123/AA or similar size would probably get to the point that I feel it too much in my pocket which goes against what I think EDC should be.

MX421

Enlightened
For me EDC is 18650 max. With the smaller 18650 lights (Zebralight for me) this is more than feasible and sufficient for most tasks i need it for. I've been experimenting with some AA and AAA lights, but i am reluctant to downgrade my current performance to commit to AA (or AAA) for EDC. I realize that only two years ago, i was carrying only 1 2XCR123 light that was the same brightness as my AA lights are now, but I've become spoiled with the newer 18650 light performance to have them replace my current carry 18650 light(s).

In colder weather with a jacket, the 3XCR123 cell is feasible, but usually for me, i have these lights near the doors for home use outside. Ihave a 4XCR123 light in the car, but its more of a spotter and not easily carried.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, my upper limit starts at one cell. Anything bigger than one 18350 is pushing it for me. Maybe - just maybe -once in a while, I'll carry an 18650 like my BOSS 70. I've tried carrying my two cell lights before but could never justify the extra bulk.

This is strange. Because Surefire G2x Pro is a very compact, very light and very bright device. It's smaller than say 2XAA minimaglite that everyone had 20 years ago.

When I don't EDC a Malkoff, my favorite second choice is a G2X. It's not a Malkoff but it's a feather-weight.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting discussion! To me for EDC as in jeans pocket carry the max really is 18650 or 2xCR123A or 2xAA at most, but usually is 1xCR123A / 1xAA. The only 3xCR123 light in my collection is the M30 Triton, which definitely does not EDC well. I would certainly try out the mentioned lights if I can get my hands on one, sooner or later, but I think 18650 or 2xAA is my actual max. I for example also have the Nitecore MH2A and I find that to be too long to pocket carry comfortably already (slightly longer than the average 2xAA size).

Of course I respect your opinion. I did flirt with 1xAA and 1x123 for a while, found out that they while they were excellent at EDC, they were too small to actually use. A full size 1" diameter light is a lot easier to actually use.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me EDC is 18650 max. With the smaller 18650 lights (Zebralight for me) this is more than feasible and sufficient for most tasks i need it for. I've been experimenting with some AA and AAA lights, but i am reluctant to downgrade my current performance to commit to AA (or AAA) for EDC. I realize that only two years ago, i was carrying only 1 2XCR123 light that was the same brightness as my AA lights are now, but I've become spoiled with the newer 18650 light performance to have them replace my current carry 18650 light(s).

In colder weather with a jacket, the 3XCR123 cell is feasible, but usually for me, i have these lights near the doors for home use outside. Ihave a 4XCR123 light in the car, but its more of a spotter and not easily carried.

6P is a solid candidate. It fits into spaces where 9P doesn't. And it's lighter.

The biggest advantage of 6P is, you get to use 18650 cells versus that stupid and disliked 18500 times 2. I've used them for over 15 years and never got used to the much lower capacity versus 18650. 2x18500 are only marginally better than 1x18650.

Or you can switch to primaries, loaded with primaries, I like 3 cells considerably more than 2 cells, run-time wise and lumens-wise.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compact, single18650 is the limit here for every day.
More than that, that's what bags, jackets, nightstands, and vehicle compartments are for.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I would like is an Inova T1 body streteched for one extra battery(and add a clip).

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have a SF G3 with M31L in my adventure bag which gets carried around a bunch. That said it would be too large for me to EDC but to each their own.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
What does 3x123 offer over 1x18650?

A 3500 mAh 18650 has 12.95 watt hours of energy. Unless mistaken 3X 1500 mAh lithium primaries has 13.5 watt hours. For me the pro is low voltage omnivore uses. That said I can omnivore a 1X18650 light as well but like to run 2XAA which so happens to fit in 3XCR123 space.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not much, unless you want the option of a 2 x AA format. The higher voltage of 3 x 123 can translate into higher output in certain devices, but you have to sacrifice the safety and simplicity of a single cell platform. For my personal use, I rarely find the need for a 3 x 123 sized device.

archimedes

Flashaholic

.... For me the pro is low voltage omnivore uses. That said I can omnivore a 1X18650 light as well but like to run 2XAA which so happens to fit in 3XCR123 space.

Not much, unless you want the option of a 2 x AA format. The higher voltage of 3 x 123 can translate into higher output in certain devices, but you have to sacrifice the safety and simplicity of a single cell platform....

Wise words, all.

The larger host might also provide a more secure grip in certain circumstances.