one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

Nephron44

Enlightened
I don't understand the design...if that ring is supposed to be used like the G2z Combatlight, I would rather have the G2z...this one just looks uncomfortable to use. Not to mention it looks like it would be horribly awkward in the pocket :/

Maybe I'm just picky, or don't understand the concept, but there are many other Surefire, new and old, that I would rather have before this one...

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the group ring can move anywhere on the body, whoever handled it last just moved it to the head. That's my theory at least...

Nephron44

Enlightened
I think the group ring can move anywhere on the body, whoever handled it last just moved it to the head. That's my theory at least...

Hopefully....however, the article does say at the bottom that the clip is held down by the ring, which I interpret as the clip is attached to the light via the ring, which would make it difficult, if not impossible, to move :/

We'll have to wait and see!

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like my theory is incorrect. I think the ring and clip are part of the head? I have no clue.
ddc86c8c7e2f98219a98f58f9a22b3ac.jpg

Nephron44

Enlightened
I'll say it again, I just don't see how this light would be easy/comfortable to carry in a pocket. As for belt carry, good luck finding a decent pouch to carry it in with the ring being so close to the head. It would either have to be carried bezel up or one would have to have a pouch custom made.

I really want to hear instances in which this light would excel compared to others that are similar...anyone?

I just feel that I can think of a better light for any use I can come up with.

EricJames

Newly Enlightened
The article says that this light is intended for the Surefire grip. I think the ring has to be that far up to allow for a good fit in the hand. Pushing the ring back any farther might make it difficult. I believe the ring is fixed up front. This doesnt seem good for pocket carry or any grip besides the Surefire grip.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight had a ring just like that. It attached to a Strion. It's supposed to stabilize the light between the first two fingers (cigar grip) and the palm of the hand/base of the thumb is flexed to activate the light.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Streamlight had a ring just like that. It attached to a Strion. It's supposed to stabilize the light between the first two fingers (cigar grip) and the palm of the hand/base of the thumb is flexed to activate the light.

But at least the ring that was made for the Strion could be placed anywhere along the barrel so you could set it up to fit your hand how you like it...

cody12

Newly Enlightened
Did anyone get one of these yet? How do you like it?
I got one today. I like it. It's definitely different. Bright and white. I'm a fan of the click switch, which this has. Only reason I haven't bought an edcl1 is the switch. Need to know if they're interchangeable. The one I got was perfect except for the edge of the tailcap. Notice the picture in mrkrocco's post. The clip and lanyard set up tear the anodize up. It feels comfortable in my hand. Dual output would have been nice. It's really more of a novelty than a tool. Pretty expensive for a toy, but I like it. As far as construction goes, it's 4 pcs. plus the clip. The head, the grip ring and the body all come apart. The clip is sandwiched between the ring and the body all the way around. Then the head screws on top. Like I said, 'definitely different'.
I just pulled it apart. The grip ring and clip are removable. Then put the head back on. Fits in your pocket now..
Steve in L.A.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one today. I like it. It's definitely different. Bright and white. I'm a fan of the click switch, which this has. Only reason I haven't bought an edcl1 is the switch. Need to know if they're interchangeable. The one I got was perfect except for the edge of the tailcap. Notice the picture in mrkrocco's post. The clip and lanyard set up tear the anodize up. It feels comfortable in my hand. Dual output would have been nice. It's really more of a novelty than a tool. Pretty expensive for a toy, but I like it. As far as construction goes, it's 4 pcs. plus the clip. The head, the grip ring and the body all come apart. The clip is sandwiched between the ring and the body all the way around. Then the head screws on top. Like I said, 'definitely different'.
I just pulled it apart. The grip ring and clip are removable. Then put the head back on. Fits in your pocket now..
Steve in L.A.
Thanks for all the info Steve👍. Any chance you could post a pic of it with the grip ring and clip removed?

cody12

Newly Enlightened
Steve in L.A.[/QUOTE
While I had it apart, I grabbed a black E1e and, you guessed it, lego time.The D3FT head fits perfectly! Of all the times not to have camera privileges. Need to do that in the morning. Haven't got around to it since they changed the protocol. Used to post pictures easily. Could this be the same head as the edcl1?! Hmmmm
Steve

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I had it apart, I grabbed a black E1e and, you guessed it, lego time.The D3FT head fits perfectly! Of all the times not to have camera privileges. Need to do that in the morning. Haven't got around to it since they changed the protocol. Used to post pictures easily. Could this be the same head as the edcl1?! Hmmmm
Steve
Nice! Yeah, most E-Series parts are compatible but, there are some exceptions.

You can just use a file hosting site like imgur to post images.

It may be the same head. If I get a D3FT I will compare them as I already have the EDCL1-T.

Infinite01

Newly Enlightened
Good to know, I have an EDCL2 and I dislike the twist cap. Will look into an E series tail light. Thanks, guys!

Nephron44

Enlightened
Good to know, I have an EDCL2 and I dislike the twist cap. Will look into an E series tail light. Thanks, guys!

You'll need to find the longer e series cap from the EB1/EB2. Regular e series caps don't fit the edc2-lt.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve in L.A.[/QUOTE
Steve
We're you able to figure out how to post images Cody? I am still really interested in seeing a pic of the D3FT with the clip and grip ring removed. Thanks👍.