Looking for Budget Blue 18650 flashlight!

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
The light will be a gift and cant be modded to begin with. I've searched and i don't know if my google-fu is weak at the moment or what but i need:

Doesnt need to be bombproof but at least IPX-6 WR
SINGLE 18650 powered
Moonlight low
Sometype of worklight setting like 13-25 lumens
A bright setting for lighting large room (tailstand) 200-500 lumens
800 lumen or better turbo
Must Tailstand
Tailclicky, NO SIDE SWITCHES, may consider twisty
USB charging a + but not needed
4000-6000K, not real worried about beam profile, CRI, flood or throw,
just not too yellow or blue
No visible PWM please

Ive found flashlights that fit this but heres what im having trouble with

$30 or less
AND THE BIG ONE must be COBALT BLUE or similiar color!
Found the Astrolux S1 but all i see is 18350 in the blue and cant find one that comes with extender tube in that color?
Thanks for any and all help!

P.S. If suggesting different lights, esp. outside of the specs im looking for, please state why. Other than that you can just post the model of light, i can look it up and do the research.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Re: Hi all! Need help, looking for very specific flashlight!

Although it does not meet all your criteria (moon and USB) , the Convoy s2/s2+ in blue may be worth a look for around $15 or so. If you message Simon at ali express he may be able to put a different firmware on to give a moon mode(not sure). Available in several colour temp options, the 3B and 4C flavours are around what you want.

Also worth a look, mtn electronics, check out some of Richards great lights at budget pricing. He also has a few convoy lights an options. The Jaxman E2L is an excellent $30 option for a high output light.........

:welcome:

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened

Although it does not meet all your criteria (moon and USB) , the Convoy s2/s2+ in blue may be worth a look for around $15 or so. If you message Simon at ali express he may be able to put a different firmware on to give a moon mode(not sure). Available in several colour temp options, the 3B and 4C flavours are around what you want.

Also worth a look, mtn electronics, check out some of Richards great lights at budget pricing. He also has a few convoy lights an options. The Jaxman E2L is an excellent $30 option for a high output light.........

:welcome:

Thanks, exactly what i was looking for! Appreciate the welcome and quick reply! One more question PLEASE!! How do the Convoys compare to the similiar BLF and Astrolux models?

ven

Flashaholic

Convoy are quite decent quality for the money, imo they are of better quality over astrolux(from my limited experience with that brand anyway). To put another way, i would not hesitate to buy convoy(from simon at aliexpress), astrolux i simply will not buy from banggood.

terjee

Enlightened

They Convoy S2/S2+ are my "go to" for 18650 gifts. They're not exactly the most expensive brand out there, you could certainly find more rugged lights for example, but the quality feel of the lights far exceeds what I'd reasonably expect for the price point, and they could easily be mistaken for more expensive lights.

Of the ones I've gifted, I haven't heard about a single failure so far.

It does require some attention to detail when ordering. The range of options is also unusually large, so doublecheck things like tint and modes. As an example, we ordered an abnormally warm light to have something cozy to tailstand for power outages.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened

Super! Thanks for the reminder as well! No kidding about options, i know what all that jargon means and i still double check the cart to make sure its the right one, almost bought one with wrong # of driver, whats worse is some websites don't list the number of driver or lumens so u cant even tell what ur buying! Based on the replies of Convoy S2 veterans, i hearby declare an attack on the ol' tri-fold!!!

Is Simon the go-to guy for ya'll?
Im familiar with flashlights (all types of light really, im a Sparky) but have no idea bout the best flashlight vendors/companies to work with and order from.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
You can order from other sources(mtn elec is a good source). Ali express is where Simon is(mr convoy), so either of those 2 places i would use. Others i dont have 100% confidence in, one of the big main Chinese online shops sent me a fake convoy m1 for example.............Ano was all shiny and wrong(think *****fire paint), driver was wrong along with the tail cap switch/retainer............everything was shouting fake!

ven

Flashaholic
If you message him with preferences, maybe a specific firmware(for a suitable mode group/s) he maybe able to sort out for you. There is quite a difference between 4000k and 6000k, 4000k is a little on the warm side, 6000k is cool so a safe bet would be around 5000k + or - . There is a new convoy on the way, usb but looks to be a side switch and not rear clicky. Either way they make excellent value and decent enough to acquire a few of.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
If you message him with preferences, maybe a specific firmware(for a suitable mode group/s) he maybe able to sort out for you. There is quite a difference between 4000k and 6000k, 4000k is a little on the warm side, 6000k is cool so a safe bet would be around 5000k + or - . There is a new convoy on the way, usb but looks to be a side switch and not rear clicky. Either way they make excellent value and decent enough to acquire a few of.

For sure! Ive got a blue s2+(8 chips, t6-4c) in the cart, only reason haven't bought is im deciding on whether to buy a host to mod or not:banghead:

ven

Flashaholic
Many have modded them, sure a good host for LED/driver swaps and of course optics for a triple. Some choose 6 or even 4 chips to lower the max output to help heat/run times and have a little lower mode levels. No right or wrongs, just something to consider if you dont plan on using 8-900ish lumens much from the 8 chips.

For a bit more punch there is an xpl HI option(flat dome which gives more increase in throw). If i was getting an s2+ today, i would be getting either a tan or clear version with the biscotti firmware:D This has a 0.1% low which would work well as a moon mode for you.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Wow ven, you just helped make my decision alot easier! Ordering the Blue S2+ today!.........Then a Tan/Biscotti for me lol. Maybe a Clear one in the future too, I've been wanting to tinker with some Anodizing!

Thanks again for the help friends! As always, this forum has put my mind at ease and my wallet in shock lol!!!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Good stuff, hope you enjoy! You should be pleasantly surprised by the quality and beam for a budget cost.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Got my tracking # finally! Gosh, 2 weeks seems like forever when waitin on toys but nothing like back in the day ordering from catalogs and everything was 4-6 for the fastest stuff and 8-12 weeks for alot of other!

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Update!!! Convoy s2+'s arrived!! Very pleased with them! The tints are about what i expected from looking at beamshots, the 4c is a little more yellow than i like but im not as big a fan of warm lights as most and that one is a gift. The 1A in the Tan S2+ is perfect though, my ideal color for the uses i bought it for. Also, the biscotti firmware's lowest setting works fine for me as a lower low (about 2-3 lumens). Thanks so much for the recommends, this is exactly what i was looking for when i joined.

These are small gripes for me but some people may prefer. I highly recommend the Convoy S2+.
Just to let others know who may want to buy one:

1. The metal switch "half or soft press" is a little too easy to press for mode change.

2. Both S2+'s have a spot-spill-then a 3rd thin ring that is brighter than the spill on the outside edge. It bothers me, lol. That said the spot/spill is nice (especially on the OP reflector).

As i said, my mileage, but i couldn't ask for better lights for the price at this point in time (noone else should either IMO). Thanks again!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update, always cool when members follow up, be it good or bad! Glad like it, very good value the s2+ and yes, not perfect but then $100 lights can have little gripes . Its a lot less painful dropping/dinging and loosing a $10-$20 light than a $100 as well:)

Is that ring against a wall?....................most of us do that and check against a wall, shows up any irregularities the best. However , even if the odd thing shows up, outside or when used, they are mostly unnoticeable. How is it outdoors? less of an issue?

Whats next on the menu:D