Does anyone have an HDS and an OR BOSS?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying my 170N clicky HDS for a while now and it suits me perfectly. I also carry a Malkoff MD2 with a DD Drop In for more power.
Lately I'm feeling tempted by an OR BOSS. I have all sorts of OR bits, and admire their quality but I've never had a complete light.
If I bought a Boss would I be disappointed at the quality compared to my HDS? I have to say the HDS reminds me of a Technical Instrument like a micrometer with the quality of the engineering.
I'm thinking buld quality rather than anything else.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Peter

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will soon! I think my BOSS should be shipping any day now; I'll report back when it gets here.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I have both and I think the build quality is comparable. Both seem pretty indestructible and have survived many falls and dunks in water while doing search and rescue.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both as well. Very nice quality on each.

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
I have both. HDS (clicky) has superior interface, as it allows you to reach the desired output level instantly (so long as you're familiar with UI.

I also think the button on the HDS is superior to the McClicky.

Advantage of the boss is the red/amber moonlight mode and the super high max output.

HDS is so throwy that the lower output usually feels sufficient for any task.

Both basically perfect in terms of FF.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a HDS Rotary Tactical and a Patina 7075 BOSS. The BOSS reminds me of an old worn quality hand tool and the HDS is the German made micrometer. They are similar in terms of quality but are very different in terms of character.

You will not be disappointed with the BOSS.

1ee197f5e1dbddd6ee9c7259f3895a73.jpg

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thanks gang, I knew i could rely on you.
Just what I wanted to hear, eapecially the last post.
The search is on.
Thanks for not turning this into a "This one is better than that" grumpfest.
P

archimedes

Flashaholic
Are they different ? ... yes, certainly so

Will you be disappointed ? ... no, rather unlikely

EDIT ... oops, it looks like I said nearly the same exact thing as @mk2rocco (just with fewer words)

:)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I will add this, I guess ....

I have (and have had) many many many different flashlights since joining CPF.

Although I do enjoy trying to keep up with developing technology and new items, for my regular EDC rotation I prefer to stick with solid proven tools, and I have to be really impressed by something to add it to that short and highly selective list.

I've carried a "legacy" HDS 170 (17670) for years. And the OR BOSS 70 is the most recent significant addition to also make that list.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, you deserve a BOSS, and wonder it took you long to get one. You won't regret it most certainly. Innovative and fresh out of the box. ;)

Having an HDS for a short while, I'd say quality wise they are comparable. There's a touch of finesse on the BOSS.

Last edited:

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I own a BOSS Al and Cu 35/70 combo. The Aluminum is a warm Nichia and the Cu is the cooler XPL. I find that I use the 35 size most often as it simply fits in my pocket better.

I also own an HDS ROTARY with a warm LED. I find myself reaching for the HDS more often as it allows me to select the exact amount of light necessary.

The BOSS has a style and aesthetic quality all of its own. IMO, the BOSS is the most interesting looking of all the flashlights on the market.

They are are both well built and there is no disappointment with any of them.

If you made me pick just one, I would really struggle. Maybe we could compare the lights to cars. The HDS is a German car, and the BOSS is Italian.

Croquette

Enlightened
I have two clicky HDS, one rotary and a patina Boss.

solidity : HDS for the steel bezel but you can add a ti bezel on the boss (but is heavily crenelated, not good for pocket time)
quality : tie
power : Boss is really bright in 1 cell configuration but insane in 2 cell (more than 10 times the most powerful HDS)
interface : HDS
runtime : tie
clip : Boss
how it feel in hand : tie

In a hurry if I had to choose one, I would give a different answer each time you ask me the question :)

hatman

Enlightened
I have two clicky HDS, one rotary and a patina Boss.

solidity : HDS for the steel bezel but you can add a ti bezel on the boss (but is heavily crenelated, not good for pocket time)
quality : tie
power : Boss is really bright in 1 cell configuration but insane in 2 cell (more than 10 times the most powerful HDS)
interface : HDS
runtime : tie
clip : Boss
how it feel in hand : tie

In a hurry if I had to choose one, I would give a different answer each time you ask me the question :)

I like lots of lumens and wish that my HDS clicky and rotary each had higher outputs.

That aside, both the Boss and the HDS are exceedingly well-made products. Each has excellent tolerances -- the Chris Reeve of the flashlight world.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone who has replied.
I've very nearly convinced myself that I'll get a Boss rather than a Pocket Clicky.
By the time I manage to find one I'll be a true believer.
Maybe when ti Ti ones are released there will be a few aluminium ones set free.
Thanks again,
Peter

archimedes

Flashaholic
You're in luck, I think there is a drop planned for this weekend .... :nana:

Are you getting a 35, a 70, or just gonna "buy both" ?[emoji317]

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody else think that the HDS rotary interface with the Lux-RC engine from a BOSS would be just about the perfect light?

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I would LOVE to see a black HA BOSS 70 but with a SINGLE emitter. I keep thinking this would bring the cost down considerably and STILL have plenty of lumens. What's plenty? I can't see myself EVER needing more than 500 in a pocket EDC. And with that ultimate programmable interface you could set it however you want it. Not that I couldn't do that with a BOSS the way it is now.....I just can't figure out a way to afford a 400-500 dollar light. I aint saying it aint worth it....I'm just afraid I'll never be able to own this perfect Grail Light.

Maybe a GoFundMe?

"Please help buy this poor WebHobbit a $400.00 flashlight...it COULD save his life!"

archimedes

Flashaholic
Emitters cost only maybe a few dollars each .... I greatly doubt that a "single emitter" BOSS would be significantly less expensive.

In fact, as it would likely require extensive modification and / or redesign of the driver, it might well cost more :shrug: