Fenix HL35 alternatives (it's been discontinued)

Frank W

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

since Fenix discontinued the excellent HL35 (2xAA/2x14500 headlamp) without any follow-up model, are there any alternatives, perhaps from other brands?

Looking for similar runtime, ability to use AAs (plus Li rechargeables as a bonus), neutral white, secondary red light, and preferably red light on a separate button. And IP68 metal construction, no love for the plastic Fenixes.

Thanks!

Frank

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look around, you can likely still find an HL35 in stock somewhere. Discontinued models are often still available for years after they are discontinued as there are so many dealers around the world.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could check out the Nitecore HA20: seems to tick all the boxes though I'm not sure if it's available in neutral white or not. Like Tachead said though, the HL35 can still be easily found so you could still grab one if you want.

I could be wrong but I think Fenix will come out with a successor of the HL35 in 2018 - unless they plan to focus sales on the new HL30. Not exactly the same as the HL35 though! The only shortcoming I found for the HL35 is that it was not compatible with Energizer Lithium AA!

Frank W

Newly Enlightened
Actually, it had been pretty hard to get a HL35 in Europe lately, even through Amazon. Few dealers have them in stock, and Amazon lost one I ordered somewhere during the shipping (though I got a prompt refund, it did cost me a fortnight of waiting for the light never showing up). I finally sourced one, though.

I am not so sure about HL35 replacement in the future, as Fenix did write to me when I asked, that they did not sell that much of them ("It's a sales game. Sales weren't great for it so we go back to the drawing board on designs. There were no design flaws with the light."). Hopefuly, they will correct the flaws (like impossibility to turn it off by unscrewing the battery cap, or the UI, if I may wish :) ) and release something similar later on.

Thanks for pointing out the Nitecore HA20 - I had a look on their website, and it seems it has 1-button operation only (although not very specific on the cycling of the red/white light). I prefer the red light on a separate button - having both (especially when cycled together) on one button is what kept me from getting the HL60R (it cycles in the completely incomprehensible order of turbo>red>eco>low>mid>hi with no option to just turn on the red light). I prefer keeping my night vision adapted when I need a little red light by not going through turbo or memorised white mode first...

I like the 2AA format in IP68 body though, for extended winter hikes or caving, it's just the right amount of weight I am still comfortable with on my head, while giving an extended runtime and convenience of AAs or 14500s for more light. About Lithium primaries, is it really incompatible with them (probably no voltage issues, since the driver can take two 14500s, right?), or is it just that their discharge curve is different enough that the circuitry runs them flat and shuts off much more quickly? That was an issue I had when using Li primary in HL21, the lamp just kept on shining than died very suddenly (and couldn't turn on even on low, since the cell was probably too cold by then), unlike other chemistries that gave plenty of warning. I just learned to live with that, if I went to cold enough temps or needed low weight cells to warrant using Li primaries in it.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope they will release a 2xAA light in their new MH series. If they do, it would definitely be rugged as the HL35. Then of course it remains to be seen what UI it will come with, if it has a red LED or not, the different output levels etc. They might release really good headlamps in the near future. The problem is, there is no certainty it will happen until it actually does!