SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

holygeez03

Enlightened
I am strongly considering one of these lights... I have many Zebralights, but nothing larger than the SC62... I would like another ZL for backyard use that has more reach and output than my SC62w.

I am starting this thread specifically for comparison between these two lights... hopefully once people have them in-hand we can get some good comparison beamshots.

The overall output of the Plus is staggering, but the HI might be more useful if it has significantly more throw... also, the potentially quick stepdown of the Plus might make it even less interesting.

I don't suppose ZL publishes lux data somewhere?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight does not publish lux data, but I doubt the MK4 Plus will throw much more than the SC62w. The XHP50.2 is a largish led, while the XHP35 HI in the HI with its flat dome will have a tighter beam.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I'm aware of the physics behind the ability of the smaller LED to throw further than the larger LED within the same reflector... But could it possibly be true that the MKIV Plus will not throw much further than my SC62w? I would think the amount of lumens and larger reflector of the IV Plus would reach out further...

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are all zebralights we're talking about, the difference in throw will probably be like 10k cd vs 12k cd vs 18k cd. The differences are small.

If you want a light with some throw you should look elsewhere.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are all zebralights we're talking about, the difference in throw will probably be like 10k cd vs 12k cd vs 18k cd. The differences are small.

Yes, see this often, small light with throw. Just can't have both. Emisar D1 might be one to look at for decent size and throw.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I have dedicated throwers (large and small)... I am specifically considering one of these two ZL models to replace my SC62w for certain tasks... based on the way I use the SC62w, I can afford to use a somewhat larger light, as long as it has significantly more output and throw than the SC62w... then I will use the 62 for tasks that take advatage of its compactness.

There is no need to recommend different lights to me... or to let me know that the SC600 is not a "thrower".

Last edited:

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Sc600 mk3 hi i measured 20kcd not too bad for it's size. I imagine the mk4 will be 25kcd or maybe more if they go with a smooth reflector

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, see this often, small light with throw. Just can't have both. Emisar D1 might be one to look at for decent size and throw.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have dedicated throwers (large and small)... I am specifically considering one of these two ZL models to replace my SC62w for certain tasks... based on the way I use the SC62w, I can afford to use a somewhat larger light, as long as it has significantly more output and throw than the SC62w... then I will use the 62 for tasks that take advatage of its compactness.

There is no need to recommend different lights to me... or to let me know that the SC600 is not a "thrower".

As someone who has dedicated throwers and knows the physics of lighting, I'm sure you're aware that the slightly larger SC600 host with the slightly larger XHP50.2 will not throw "significantly" more than your SC62w. The output may or may not be "significantly" more either. For what it's worth, I consider 2000 lumens barely brighter than 1000 lumens when I shine the two outputs side by side.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Well, that is one of the main questions... will the SC600 IV Plus, with more than double the overall output, but larger emitter, provide more lux than the SC62w?

If yes, then I am still deciding between the Plus and HI... how much more lux is the HI vs. Plus?

If no, then the Plus is probably out and I need to decide if the IV HI will be what I want...

I realize none of these questions can be well answered until the lights are in user's hands... but wanted to start the discussion now.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's a pretty safe assumption to say the Plus will slightly out-throw your SC62, and the HI slightly outthrow the Plus. All the Zebralights are pretty similar in size and output so it's not like there will be any big differences.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone who has dedicated throwers and knows the physics of lighting, I'm sure you're aware that the slightly larger SC600 host with the slightly larger XHP50.2 will not throw "significantly" more than your SC62w. The output may or may not be "significantly" more either. For what it's worth, I consider 2000 lumens barely brighter than 1000 lumens when I shine the two outputs side by side.

There should be a pretty noticeable difference if you are actually comparing 2000 to 1000 lumens. Even with humans non-linear perception of light 2000 lumens will still appear roughly 25% brighter then 1000 lumens. A 25% increase in perceived brightness is pretty significant imo.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Is an HI version of the XHP50.2 not an option because of the multi-die design?

I am leaning toward the MKIV HI... the 5-step tint deviation is a little concerning. Hopefully once these start shipping the tint report are good...

I am still curious to see the beam profile of the Plus with the improved XHP50.2 emitter and clear lens.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's a pretty safe assumption to say the Plus will slightly out-throw your SC62, and the HI slightly outthrow the Plus. All the Zebralights are pretty similar in size and output so it's not like there will be any big differences.

I think that's a fair assumption.

The Plus is quite a bit higher in output then the HI but, it has a 14 degree spot angle vs the HI's 8 degree. That means the Plus's hot spot will be almost twice as large at a given distance when compared to the HI. The Plus is quite a bit higher in output however so, it will make up some of the throw distance by brute force. Either way, both will likely out throw your SC62w and the Plus will be a lot brighter overall. The HI will likely have the furthest throw but, will have a significantly dimmer spill compared to the Plus. If you want max throw, I would get the HI and if you want max brightness, I would get the Plus.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is an HI version of the XHP50.2 not an option because of the multi-die design?

I am leaning toward the MKIV HI... the 5-step tint deviation is a little concerning. Hopefully once these start shipping the tint report are good...

I am still curious to see the beam profile of the Plus with the improved XHP50.2 emitter and clear lens.

It is likely an option but, is not made in factory form right now. The XHP35 has a HI version and it is a multi-die design.

Although the HI has a higher tint deviation, the HI emitters tend to have a more even tint across the beam(from spot to spill). Most people who have the MKIII version seam to be happy with the tint but, the tint lottery is always at play.

The beam profile of the Plus will have the largest hotspot of the non-frosted lens models at 14 degrees. I can post a pic when I get mine if you want to wait.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Yeah... considering my SC62w is already performing adequately... if the Plus can out-throw it just a bit, while providing more than double the total output, it is still a candidate... so it may come down to the time before the stepdown kicks in on the Plus... and how the beam looks considering the multi-die emitter... and the 3-step tint deviation on the Plus inspires confidence.

I wonder why ZL chose the 5-step tint deviation on the XHP35 HI... there is a 3-step available, right? Too expensive?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... considering my SC62w is already performing adequately... if the Plus can out-throw it just a bit, while providing more than double the total output, it is still a candidate... so it may come down to the time before the stepdown kicks in on the Plus... and how the beam looks considering the multi-die emitter... and the 3-step tint deviation on the Plus inspires confidence.

I wonder why ZL chose the 5-step tint deviation on the XHP35 HI... there is a 3-step available, right? Too expensive?

Yeah, there are a lot of unknowns with the Plus as it is a new model using a new emitter. We will know soon though.

No, there is only a 5-step 4500K available.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Well, that's good to know... can't be mad at ZL then...

Can someone please order the MKIV Plus and the HI and post lots of comparison beamshot photos ASAP? Including a SC62w for comparison would be even more awesome!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that's good to know... can't be mad at ZL then...

Can someone please order the MKIV Plus and the HI and post lots of comparison beamshot photos ASAP? Including a SC62w for comparison would be even more awesome!

I am sure quite a few people that have a MKIII HI or are getting a MKIV HI will be getting the Plus but, you are going to have to wait about a month as these new models don't start shipping until Nov. 30.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Yeah, I know... I really want to pre-order one, but I just can't decide which will be better for my use... maybe a few will ship out early!