Fenix TK75 2018 (4x XHP35 HI, 4x 18650, Rechargeable) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
*This review is made possible by Fenix China.*

One of Fenix big sellers, received another update. The TK75 is a well known light among flashlight users. The first TK75, released a long time ago, started out at 2600 lumens. That was impressive, back then.. Now Fenix released a new version, pushing out an astonishing 5100 lumens with the use of 4x Cree XHP35 HI leds. It still has the same form factor, but with an updated look. Let's check out this new light :thumbsup:

23mju44.jpg

2yxk5er.jpg

The Packaging:

The TK75 2018 comes in a hard-plastic case with a cardboard sleeve. Inside the case you'll find;
- TK75 2018
- Manual
- Carrying strap
- Micro-USB charging cable
- Lanyard
- Tripod attachment
- Spare o-ring(s)
- Fenix products leaflet

2r53jg9.jpg
24zc181.jpg

2dufasp.jpg
pxsk.jpg

2cdj2mw.jpg

Features and Specifications: (given by Fenix)

·4 Cree XHP35 HI LED's, with lifespan of 50,000 hours
·Powered by 4 18650 rechargeable Li-ion batteries
·188mm Length x 53mm Body diameter x 86 Head diameter
·630 grams (excluding batteries)
·Max 5100 lumens output, 850m beam distance
·Micro USB rechargeable battery holder
·Momentary on turbo and strobe
·Back support system eases handheld fatigue
·Battery level indication; lockout function
·Dual stainless steel side switches for fast and convenient operation
·Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness
·Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery insertion
·Low-voltage warning reminds when battery charging is needed
·Made of durable high-strength and oxidation-resistance aluminum
·Premium type HAIII hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
·Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with an anti-reflective coating

MSRP: $274.95

Lets take a closer look

2dvpsly.jpg
34fcuc6.jpg

id7z86.jpg
14jqmp0.jpg

zxvgid.jpg
24vshfs.jpg

The TK75 2018 uses metal butons instead of the rubber they used before. On the opposite side is the tripod attachment. The tripod insert also has a metal loop for attaching the shoulder strap.

23rwz0o.jpg
kevn7p.jpg

2iqy8ht.jpg
30b19co.jpg

And now a close-up look of the head. The head houses 4x Cree XHP35 HI leds, surrounded by a relatively deep smooth reflector. A stainless steel ring protects the glass when dropped.
The glass does have a anti-reflective coating, to let most of the light out. A leds are centered on my sample.

w0j9tl.jpg
2ynjz9l.jpg

2sbpo61.jpg
160rar6.jpg

Large boxes on the outside provide some grip on the light. Personally, I would prefer smaller boxes. The large box shapes don't provide enough grip when using gloves, IMO.
There is a small led between the switches that acts as battery level indicator. There are four slots cut out at the tailcap, for lanyard attachment.

14lmtdz.jpg
zmd479.jpg

2qvf9dy.jpg

The tailcap comes off smooth. There is a decent amount of grease on the threads.

wj9dnm.jpg
w0487r.jpg

Laser engraving does look good, although with a macro lens you can see the edge-'imperfections'.

16lgx09.jpg

Look down the battery tube

qz0hsk.jpg
6ynnn9.jpg

There is no external micro-USB port for charging. The port has been placed on the battery-carrier. Therefore you don't have to remove the batteries out of the carrier.
A small led shows the status during charging. When you press the blue-button on the carrier, the led will show the remaining battery power. The battery carrier is made of sturdy plastic.
There are small finger-groves to make removing batteries a little bit easier. Like earlier TK75 models, the 2018 version is fully compatible with the Fenix AER-TK75 extension. With adding a extension, you'll double the
runtime. Output levels will keep the same.

2wf8kjl.jpg
ht8ppl.jpg

2jevdwz.jpg
288wjk2.jpg

User Interface:

The TK75 uses two buttons to operate the light.

From Off:

Press&Hold the left button to access Strobe. Press the button again to switch to SOS mode. Press&Hold to turn Off.
Press&Hold the right button to access the last continues mode used.

When On:
The with a single press (right button) you'll cycles between; Eco>Low>Med>High I>High II>Turbo.

The UI did change, because Fenix used Press&Hold before to cycle between modes. Now you have to Press&Hold to turn On/Off.
This does require some attention when you're not used to this (like me :p )

Size Comparison:

As you can see, the 2018 version looks similar to the first TK75 light. Dimension are comparable.

23sywox.jpg
dcgftz.jpg

2cyjei8.jpg
2mquq9f.jpg

Beamshots:

Beamshot where taken on a soccer field. The goal is about 120 meters away from the light. Due to circumstances, I was not able to photograph the lower modes.

28tcb3p.jpg
259v3hk.jpg

2h74f8k.jpg
1zoce3r.jpg

Pros and Cons:

+ Size-Output ratio
+ Rechargeable
+ Throw-Spill ratio
+ Mode spacing

- Weight
- Not external chargeable

Conclusion:

The TK75 2018 is a worthy follow-up to all other TK75 lights. It's amazing Fenix can still update the light, while keeping the same body. The UI does require some getting use to. Specially when you're
coming from the older Fenix lights. It's nice that there is a rechargeable option, but it's a shame you first have to open the light. Of course, the removal of a external USB port does help with keeping water and dust out,
but it's not very user friendly. The metal buttons are sturdier than rubber covered switches, but personally I'm not a big fan. The feeling just isn't right to me. Fit and finish is excellent, as we can expect from Fenix.
If you're looking for a light that can light up a large area, but still has lower modes for closer up work, the TK75 2018 is definitely one of your best options.

This review is made possible by Fenix China. Thank you Fenix for providing this TK75 for review.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Reserved for updates..

Update 1: Added information about Fenix AER-TK75 support.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review kj2,:) big fan of the tk75 as you know. As much as i welcome the xpl HI version, a 4000/5000k would have been a winner for me. I just feel its a year or so late(better late than never though). Not too sure on the carrier side either, but none are deal breakers for me. Still maybe they are saving some xhp35 HI's for the rc40 version.............:poke:(5000k please).

I am sure it will be a huge seller for Fenix regardless of its little short comings for us flashaholics.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the review.

I have had the 2600/2900[modified eventually] and now the 2015 version which is modified.

I definitely prefer the rubber buttons over any metal switch. I know modified get hotter. I have/had a few modified lights w/ metal switches and they got very hot. I am also not and never have been a fan of rechargeable lights. At least this one you can charge the batteries in a charger. On the other hand I do not get having a rechargeable light where you have to remove the carrier/batteries to do so!! :thinking: :shrug:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. Another TK75 fan here although I haven't felt the need to upgrade for a long while now.

AngryDaddyBird

Newly Enlightened
I am a fan of the original and sold it recently. Now it looks like I need a replacement.
Great detailed review.
Will the battery extension still work with this light?

ven

Flashaholic
I am a fan of the original and sold it recently. Now it looks like I need a replacement.
Great detailed review.
Will the battery extension still work with this light?

Yes, but you need to use the original USB carrier in the light body itself, then add the extensions after if makes sense. Will not work for example with the run time kit carrier in the light, then the USB carrier in the run kit.

edd_.e

Newly Enlightened
Fenix have gotten worse in their design choice, older lights looked better : (

mikem65d

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the detailed review. It's partly why i decided to buy it. Got it Friday and then i really loved your review for stoking me up.
This baby is insanely bright and fun to play with.
It's like riding a fast motorcycle.........you could cruise, but then you just got to open it up and this light is on it when doing so.
Lit up the neighborhood in all directions:rock::rock:
The fit and finish and just the way it's packaged makes one proud to own it.
Very glad i read your review and very glad to be back on this site.

-mike

colight

Enlightened
As I've said last week, I've been out of circulation for some time, and now I see that I've missed out on a lot. Great review, as usual, kj2. I'd like to try one of these babies.

harro

Enlightened
A great light indeed. It would be nice to see a nw version, as ven had suggested. Keep us ' standard trim ' ( as opposed to modded ) people interested. Mind you the cw version isnt that blue anyway. A worthy successor to the TK75 throne. While the 2,900 lumen version may not be the most powerful, imvho, its the one that has the best all round balance ( well, to me anyway ).

colight

Enlightened
Harro, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I saw on Fenix's website that this 2018 version has 5100 lumens? You mention 2900?

ven

Flashaholic
That is correct, the 2018 has 5100lm . Harro was mentioning an older generation with 2900lm from 3x LED, that for him has the best all round balance. .

harro

Enlightened
Harro, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I saw on Fenix's website that this 2018 version has 5100 lumens? You mention 2900?

Thats correct, what i mean is, to me at least, the 2,900 version is the nicest, all round balanced torch, no, its not the most powerful. IMVHO, the2,900 just had it all right. The 4,000 was nice, but quite floody. The latest one pushes it out a touch further and has a bit more complex ui. See where i'm coming from? Yes they are all good lights ( i have one of each ), but for me, the pick is the 2,900.
Cheers.

harro

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. An improvement over the original version[2600 lumen] that I still have!

It might surprise you how far the TK75'18 hasnt come when compared to the original 2,600 lumen version. Maybe thats cause the original was such a good flashlight when it was released. IMVHO, the original was good, the 2,900 lumen version built on that base with a touch more output and throw. The '15 version was a bit of a sidewards step in the throw department, but has a good spill, and the '18 version regains some distance, while still having a reasonable spill. The ui and metal buttons are an attempt to maybe ' keep up with the Jonses ', some like em, others dont, whatever. To me, there was nothing wrong with the grey silicone rubber switch covers, but the metal buttons stay cool during operation. I am probably a bit biased, but i like my TK's. Typical great finish and fit you expect from Fenix. Also typical 12 - 18 months late on the scene, with other major makers having already done something similar.