Right angle light for turn out gear

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
My station is looking to purchase individual flashlights for our turn out gear (firefighting). Specifically a right angle light to wear on out chest. Most people already have a backup helmet light but those don't work as well in heavy smoke or with frosted over visors.

The standard is the streamlight survivor. Would want to stay about that size, with maybe 300 lumens or better and a throwy/ spot beam. Rechargeable in a docking station highly prefered and it must be every bit as tough as the streamlight.

So.... Can anybody point to something better than the ubiquitous stream light survivor?

arKmm

Enlightened
Streamlight Knucklehead. Similiar to a survivor but more modern I guess. Available in a 500lm output.

In the UK, our firefighters appear to use the Wolf Safety R50.

Last edited:

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Anybody familiar with koehler-brightstar? They has a USA made RA light with li-ion battery that looks good on paper.... But its a totally unknown brand to me.

https://www.chiefsupply.com/koehler-bright-star-responder-right-angle-led-flashlight.html

Koehler is good to go in my book!!!

No experience with that model in particular but i was in the coal mines for 8 years and most headlamps were Koehler corded and cordless WHEAT models, they were the only lights i trusted 100%. You hit your head alot if the mine is in a lower coal seam, and the light was usually what took the hit, i've seen stars before and the light never failed. I've dropped them on concrete, lost them in water holes, mud holes and oil puddles, and every time u dig them out they're still shining! If i was a firefighter, i wouldnt hesitate to buy koehler based on my past experience!

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
FOXFURY lightings BT2+ plus right angle 700 lumen light is the latest model from them and should be near the top of your list to look at buying. I have the early model 200 lumes BT2 and the 600 lumen BT3. the numbers and BT stand for Breakthrough while the 2 & 3 refer to the beam angle of the reflector in degrees. They both have laser tight thrower beams that slice through smoke but still have enough spill to be effective in close up work.
They aren't cheap but are built like tanks with a body made from fiber reinforced high temp plastic very close to whats used in auto/truck radiator tanks. It's like a portable streamlight lightbox. check their site and youtube for review. These can really throw some light on the subject from a distance, plus they will support eneloop AAs in the backup aa battery holder in addition to a safe lipo rechargable battery pack/rack mount charger

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thrower beam would be best for chest height illumination in smoke. A non heat conducting body is also a plus.

I like the First-Light stuff a lot, and the Koehler/Bright Star merge led to some great stuff but...

That FoxFury mentioned sounds ideal if you guys don't end up going with another Streamlight model.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered Pelican? They make a couple of different lights for firefighters. I'm not sure what our local ones use. It's probably worth sticking with a brand that are well known for reliability in this field given how crucial reliability is for you.

Pelican 3310R-RA does 385 lumens on high with boost of 948. Lithium-ion rechargeable in its own cradle too.