Please help me choose from these compact throwers

Dioda

Newly Enlightened
Hi, in new here. After doing my research, im looking for a flashlight recommendation, it should meet these specs:

- Primarily used for outdoor and hiking
- Compact size, but ideally not the 1 inch cigar sized types, would like slightly bigger reflector
- More on the thrower side, minimum 300 m throw with usable spill
- Sensible mode spacing, able to start the lamp in low or in memorized mode
- Good power efficiency, long runtimes
- Must have USB charging
- Well built with no stability problems or overheating due to excessively overdriven LED
- ideally a model with verified specs, as many manufacturers outhright lie about them

Here are my candidates, please comment, would like to learn here what the manufacturer does not tell you:

NITECORE MH20GT - compact, superb throw,has usb, good mode spacing. Negatives - expensive, sold without battery.

FENIX TK20R - i miss here the moonlight mode, tailcap usb cover looks rather flimsy, throw shorter than above

KLARUS XT11S or XT11GT - both with good throw, acceptable mode spacing, like the side and rear switch combo. Strong selling point for me that both are sold with battery. However i heard these models had some issues in the past, being overdriven, stability problems.

KLARUS XT12S - the same as above.

ACEBEAM L16 - looks like good built quality, superb throw. Not so great mode spacing, poor energy efficiency, i also heard the colour of light is extremely cold, and it.is also expensive light here.

If you have any other types, please recommend, thank you.

arKmm

Enlightened
None of them would actually throw 300m. The ANSI system of measurement provides the distance at which light still hits the distance, which is different to usable light.

Generally, if something quotes 300m ANSI, you should consider a more real world throw distance of 100m as true.

To throw another suggestion into the pot, Streamlight Strion HPL. Extremely well made, and if you get it with 12v Smart Charger option, it can take USB charge too. You said you'd like something not overdriven or that's going to have to step-down due to thermal regulation and battery capacity, and unfortunately that's what most of the ones you've suggested like the Klarus will have to do. The Strion however is well designed and realistically regulated so it can keep going at near original output for quite a while. It's got an exceptionally good UI and the ergonomics are great. Also, as it's commonly used by police, there's lots of holster and accessory options available.

Alternatively, if you're happy to go slightly larger, take a look at the Stinger HPL which is even more potent.

Last edited:

Dioda

Newly Enlightened
Throw is not a top priority, i just meant that it should be on the throwy side, not a floodlight. I would welcome a tighter, sharper beam, thats all, thanks. Which of the models i listed would you go for and why?

Keitho

Enlightened
- Sensible mode spacing, able to start the lamp in low or in memorized mode
- Good power efficiency, long runtimes
- Must have USB charging
- Well built with no stability problems or overheating due to excessively overdriven LED
- ideally a model with verified specs, as many manufacturers outhright lie about them

The Emisar D1 had all that except no USB charging. If you are concerned about reliable runtime, you might consider bringing along spare cells anyway, no matter what light you end up with.

D1 Modes are infinitely adjustable; but, the mode that will run for over 8 hours is the default when you turn it on after a battery swap (or just loosening the tail cap). The LED won't overheat, and the temp regulation is programmable to your liking (only applicable if you run it on high modes). Like with most higher power lights, you get to choose an output: higher will be shorter runtimes and result in thermal regulation, step down, and shorter runtimes, and lower output will have no/limited step down and be longer running. Keep in mind that any light has to produce more heat and draw more current for greater output; so, designers and consumers are always trading between size, cost, runtime, throw, output, color temp, and CRI.

The ANSI throw of the D1 is about 400m (on max), so well over a football field in real life. Best of luck!

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acebeam EC60 would serve you well. It uses a 26650 battery (get Shockli IMR26650 5500mAh) which will get you long runtimes needed for hiking/camping activities.

arKmm

Enlightened
Throw is not a top priority, i just meant that it should be on the throwy side, not a floodlight. I would welcome a tighter, sharper beam, thats all, thanks. Which of the models i listed would you go for and why?
Ok, it's just because you called the topic 'thrower' so we thought you were looking for a compact thrower. If you're looking for a good quality general purpose light that has a beam good for a bit of throw and bit of flood (good all rounder) then that changes the suggestions.

Personally, I'd not go for any of your suggestions although if I had to I'd pick the Nitecore option.

My choice would probably be a Malkoff M61HOT MD2 with High/Low switch. Great balanced beam, extremely well made. Can be run off rechargeables or disposable lithiums if required. Simple High/Low power by twisting the head. Slightly lower power than your other options but it's all you need and importantly it can maintain that output for a long time rather than the stepdowns in your suggestions.

Alternatively the M91T MD3 is also good but slightly larger.

Id also consider the standard Streamlight Strion HL for the same reasons.

Dioda

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, thanks for your input. The Streamlight, Manker, Malkoff and Emisar are rather unknown brands here, so I cook with what I have. At least now I know what I want more precisely. Im looking for a compact, rugged outdoor light, with nice beam profile and ideally rechargeable with USB port. It should be on the high lumen output side, with stable long running operation in low, medium and high mode. No flooders. Turbo mode I usually use only in momentary operation, therefore I would rather prefer around 4 hours in the high mode (cca 400 lm), around 10+ hours in medium (around 150lm), about 20 hours low (around 50lm) and highly welcome is any moonlight or eco mode (5 to 1 lumens). Im tossing in my additional candidates:

Klarus XT2CR - compact, has usb, OK mode spacing, big plus is the included 3600 mAh battery and price

NITECORE EC4GT - in my opinion great mode spacing, significant throw, interesting construction, resistant to overheating. I dont like that it runs on 2 18650 cells which are not included and it has also no usb charging. Buying all these additional stuff would make the light quite expensive.

Please again feel free to add your suggestions.

arKmm

Enlightened
If they are unknown, what country are you in? I'm in the UK and it's much the same with Streamlight, they're just not really sold here and quite rare to see except for a couple of their basic models.

Dioda

Newly Enlightened
Slovakia. Some of the brands have no distributors here and due to warranty I dont awant to order from China etc. Your thoughts on the additional two models i proposed? Thanks!

Keitho

Enlightened
Mtn-electronics ships to "Slovakia (Zone 4)", per their website; good source for Emisar and other brands. "High lumen," "compact," "non-flooder", a momentary turbo mode, and a UI that allows you to choose any level you want...all that sounds like the Emisar D4. As mentioned above, no USB port on this light: you'll need to remove the battery to charge it in one of many chargers (also available on mtn electronics) that range from USD $0.95 through $55.

Dioda

Newly Enlightened
Keitho, thanks for your suggestions too. However according to various videos I saw the Emisars have some unfinished issues like faulty driver protection and overheating.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Keitho, thanks for your suggestions too. However according to various videos I saw the Emisars have some unfinished issues like faulty driver protection and overheating.

Which model Emisar? (D4, D1, D1S?) Could you post a link for reference? Thanks.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
None of them would actually throw 300m. The ANSI system of measurement provides the distance at which light still hits the distance, which is different to usable light.

Generally, if something quotes 300m ANSI, you should consider a more real world throw distance of 100m as true.

To throw another suggestion into the pot, Streamlight Strion HPL. Extremely well made, and if you get it with 12v Smart Charger option, it can take USB charge too. You said you'd like something not overdriven or that's going to have to step-down due to thermal regulation and battery capacity, and unfortunately that's what most of the ones you've suggested like the Klarus will have to do. The Strion however is well designed and realistically regulated so it can keep going at near original output for quite a while. It's got an exceptionally good UI and the ergonomics are great. Also, as it's commonly used by police, there's lots of holster and accessory options available.

Alternatively, if you're happy to go slightly larger, take a look at the Stinger HPL which is even more potent.

as to throw distance there are environmental factors that will alter the "throw" of a light. My HL-X is rated to throw 330M. The terrain where I'm at, even in wide open fields due to small rolling hills is about 250M max. In total rural darkness I can easily ID a cat, raccoon, coyote, deer and so on past 200M. On my buddies back deck in suburbia with porch lights, street lights and car head lamps washing out and destroying night vision, your 100 yard figure is about right. Back to actual darkness, I can ID larger objects like tree lines, tractors, fence lines, blacked out vehicles much farther than 200M. Back in town fighting light that washes out torch light, not so much once more.

It all all depends on your play ground how a light actually throws. My nitecore MT10A with a 14500 on 920 lumens throws pretty darn good for 9K candela. I can make out fences, tree lines and larger inanimate objects about 20% farther than its rated throw, but I also have exceptional eye sight. I often use the MT10A on the 1 lumen mode and can easily ID critters at 25M in that rural darkness. Can't even see it on the grass from deck height in suburbia.

In misty hazy air like we get most nights here this time of year, nothing can blast through the haze washout past 100M anyway so paper ratings no matter how good or bad won't matter with practical use exercises. To me it sounds like the OP is more into actual throw over paper spec throw, but I could be wrong. No one who is going to use a light wants to hear about paper specs anyway, they'll only listen to actual use reports.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
The only experience i have related to the choices you listed is with the Nitecore MH20 (not GT, bought MH20 when it came out).

I use it for hiking/outdoors/edc and I've been completely satisfied! It charges my 18650's perfectly and has great runtimes and UI for my uses. I'd buy the GT if i didn't already have the first gen.!

cp2315

Enlightened
I have MH20GT and XT12GT. Both are wonderful lights.
They are not in the same league though.
MH20GT is small and powerful, XT12GT is larger and more powerful.
Per ANSI, 300 meters throw means 22.5kcd. MH20GT is around 30kcd, XT12GT is about 90kcd. So I would recommend MH20GT for EDC purpose, for compact thrower XT12GT is awesome.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds about right to me. Unless I only needed to spot big white buildings or barns, I would want at least 1000M of ANSI throw and more if I could get it! 300M is a fair distance; man sized silhouette target at 300M looks smaller than a grain of rice held at arms length. During qualification shoots in the military, I remember that very few of the pop up targets were hit at the 300M range with iron sighted M16's and this was in daylight. I think it would be near impossible for me to spot a racoon sized critter in darkness at 300M unless I got some reflection back form it's eyes and/or I had a real powerful light source and a magnifying optic of some sort.

Labradford

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Klarus XT12GT. Great light but I haven't had it long enough to recommend it. You have some good lights to choose from. Check out EagleTac and ThruNite as well. Good luck.

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dioda, I am from Slovakia too :wave:. I would not limit the choices based on what you can get locally - you can always order that flashlight from CPF Marketplace, eBay, or dealers that ship worldwide. Of course in case of a warranty problem it can get more complicated. I have bought (and then sold :duh2:) lots of premium flashlights. Actually I am just thinking about ordering a Malkoff (I haven't looked into the availability/dealers yet).

If you are looking for hiking - you will first need a good headlamp (you can buy a Black Diamond Spot for 36 Euro locally, pretty good headlamp for most hiking purposes - see my post: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho...d-head-lamps&p=5085124&viewfull=1#post5085124). Walking with a flashlight in the hand for longer periods is not very practical and working around the camp (preparing food, building shelter) is very cumbersome with a flashlight (you need free hands).
Actually I never really had a use for a thrower during hiking... Most of the time you need a beam with a good spill + some throw...
But that's just my personal advice, it really depends on your use. This would be different if you are spotting something in the distance (e.g. you are also a hunter)...

Dioda

Newly Enlightened
Hi again, in the end I went for the Nitecore MH20GT. Great compact light, good throw for its size, well balanced mode spacing and build quality. Fits my needs perfectly.