Quick question about refresh analyse charge and discharge rates on mh9000 charger

turnipfarmer

Newly Enlightened
I want to make sure I'm treating my eneloops with the correct care.

I charge my eneloops with 0.5c-1c but what is recommended discharge setting for the discharge part of refresh analyse program on mh9000?

I've always done 400mah which I believe is 0.2c.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to make sure I'm treating my eneloops with the correct care.

I charge my eneloops with 0.5c-1c but what is recommended discharge setting for the discharge part of refresh analyse program on mh9000?

I've always done 400mah which I believe is 0.2c.

Most of use charge are Eneloops up at 1A and you can discharge them at 1A if you want. That's .5C for standard 2000mAh Eneloops. You can fast charge them at 1C, or 2A, but that's a bit harder on the batteries, shortening their life span if done on a regular basis.

I don't treat the hi-caps any differently, but that's just me.

They're cheap, so I don't mind.

Chris

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Turnipfarmer,

When I am interested in using a refresh cycle I want to "stir things up" inside the battery. My preference is to use 1000 mA as both the discharge rate and charge rate.

Tom

turnipfarmer

Newly Enlightened
Hello Turnipfarmer,

When I am interested in using a refresh cycle I want to "stir things up" inside the battery. My preference is to use 1000 mA as both the discharge rate and charge rate.

Tom

Many thanks, I was under the impression that discharging that quick can shorten the life of the battery? Please correct me if I am wrong. :) I am still learning the best practice to look after the batteries and maximise the life of them.

Generally what is your maintenance of your batteries? Do you run a break in on new enloops and then use as required and then every so often refresh cycle and then couple of times of year just do another break in?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks, I was under the impression that discharging that quick can shorten the life of the battery? Please correct me if I am wrong. :) I am still learning the best practice to look after the batteries and maximise the life of them.

Generally what is your maintenance of your batteries? Do you run a break in on new enloops and then use as required and then every so often refresh cycle and then couple of times of year just do another break in?

A 1A discharge is well within the Eneloop's comfort zone, so it's not a problem and many modern AA lights can/will do 1A, or greater, so it all makes sense.

If you're trying to measure the most capacity that you can get out of your Eneloops, then you can discharge them at 100mA, 200mA, or whatever. You want to match the current draw of the devices that you'll be using your Eneloops in to have a good handle on runtimes, if that matters to you?

I run them up and down every 3-6 months, if I'm not using them all that much. My batteries are lightly used in daily life, so I have to make a point of giving them a good workout at least once a year--either a full Break In cycle, or running a few refresh cycles.

Chris

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Turnipfarmer,

Eneloop cells can handle a 1000 mA discharge without problem.

As far as care goes...

I start with a discharge/charge/discharge cycle to determine the original capacity of the cell. In the old days prior to low self discharge I would do a discharge/break in cycle for this initial capacity but the low self discharge cells don't seem to benefit much initially from a break in cycle.

Once again looking at low self discharge cells I do a discharge/charge/discharge cycle once a year to keep track of how the cells are doing. With normal cells I do this every 90 days.

I retire cells when their capacity drops below about 80% of their initial capacity.

Tom