ArmyTek Predator Pro V3 White (XHP35 HI, 1x18650/2xCR123A) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
*The flashlight in this review has been provided by ArmyTek for review*

ArmyTek is well known for it's 'tactical' flashlights and other higher-end illumination products. The Predator is one of the better known flashlights in their line-up. Their lights look like most other do, but the coating on the outside
and the electronic potting sets them apart. In this review we take a look at the Predator Pro. The 'pro' version offers more flexibility/versatility for the users.

207m6tu.jpg
2gtchgn.jpg

The packaging:

ArmyTek lights used to come in a simple cardboard box. That changed recently. Now, it comes in a full color box with information and specifications written on.

Inside you'll find;
- the Predator (pro)
- Manual
- Lanyard
- Pocketclip
- Spare o-rings and switch cover
- Holster

33axmde.jpg
1zlqc09.jpg

2u554c9.jpg

With an impact resistance rating of 30 meters and submersible up to 50 meters, the Predator sets its self apart from other lights.

zlantc.jpg

Features and Specifications: (given by ArmyTek)

• The newest Cree XHP35 High Intensity LED and especially designed smooth reflector give extremely distinct hotspot and minimal spill for directed aim illumination
  • Active real-time temperature control without timers: after cooling-down the brightness increases again
  • Constant brightness even in -25°C frost and with almost discharged batteries
  • Advanced mode control with Hunting and Tactical settings
  • Standard 1" body diameter matches up with most weapon mounts
  • Reliable body, red/green/blue filters and original remote switches for comfortable Hunting and secure Military application
  • Guaranteed durability – stands up the recoil of any gun gauge and falling from 30 meters height
  • The flashlight works for more than 5 hours at 50 meters depth

Light & Optics

LED LIGHT OUTPUT: 1700lm
OTF LIGHT OUTPUT: 1400lm
BEAM DISTANCE: 451m
PEAK BEAM INTENSITY :50750 cd
LED: Cree XHP35 High Intensity
OPTICS : Smooth reflector
STABILIZATION OF CONSTANT BRIGHTNESS REGARDLESS OF FROST AND LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE : FULL (constant brightness)
HOTSPOT: 5 °
SPILL: 40 °
HOTSPOT DIAMETER AT 100 METERS: 9m
IMPACT-RESISTANT GLASS LENS WITH SAPPHIRE AND ANTI-REFLECTION COATING : Yes

Dimensions & Weight

LENGTH: 154mm
BODY DIAMETER: 25.4mm
HEAD DIAMETER: 41mm
WEIGHT (WITHOUT BATTERIES): 135g

Body & Durability

BODY MATERIAL : Aircraft-grade aluminium
BODY ANTI-ABRASIVE FINISH : Premium type III hard anodizing 400HV
BODY COLOR: Mat Black
WATERPROOF AND DUSTPROOF STANDARD : IP68 (highest)
WATERPROOF & SUBMERSIBLE: 50m
DOUBLE O-RINGS FOR BEST WATERPROOF : Yes
OPERATION TEMPERATURE: -25..+40 °C
CRENELLATED COMBAT BEZEL: Yes
IMPACT-RESISTANT STEEL FRONT BEZEL : Yes
IMPACT-RESISTANT STEEL TAIL BEZEL : No
BEZEL MATERIAL: Stainless steel with ultra hard titanium coating
PROTECTION OF ELECTRONICS BY COMPOUNDING IT IN ALUMINUM CAPSULE : Yes
WEAPON MOUNTABLE: Yes
ANTI-SHOCK PROTECTION FOR WEAPON USING: Yes
IMPACT RESISTANCE: 30m
RELIABLE SPRING CONSTRUCTION FOR BATTERY PROTECTION: Yes
REMOVABLE CLIP OF STAINLESS STEEL : Yes
TRAPEZOIDAL THREADS FOR LONGER LIFETIME: Yes
THREADS LUBRICATION BY NYOGEL 760G (USA) : Yes
TAILSTANDING AS A CANDLE: No
RUBBER TACTICAL GRIP FOR FIRM HOLDING: Yes
BELT HOLSTER (MOLLE): Yes
STRONG AND EASILY REMOVABLE LANYARD: Yes

Modes & Electronics

POWER SOURCE: 1x18650 Li-Ion / 2x18350 Li-Ion / 2xR123 Li-Ion / 2xCR123A
OUTPUT LEVELS AND RUNTIMES: 1400 lm (1h), 800 lm (1.7h), 350 lm (4h), 150 lm (10.5h), 30 lm (50h), 1.7 lm (40d), 0.15 lm (200d), Strobe 2, Strobe 1
NUMBER OF MODES: 9
TYPE OF MODE SWITCHING: Tailcap switch
TYPE OF CLICKY SWITCH: Tactical forward
MOMENTARY ACTIVATION FOR QUICK ACCESS: Yes
RUNTIME FOR MAXIMAL MODE: 1h
RUNTIME FOR MINIMAL MODE: 200 days
ADVANCED HEAT TRANSMISSION FOR LED WITH COPPER MPCB: Yes
ADVANCED HEAT TRANSMISSION FOR ELECTRONICS: Yes
ACTIVE THERMAL MANAGEMENT OF LED AND ELECTRONICS : Yes
SPECIAL SPRING MATERIAL FOR HIGHER EFFICIENCY: Yes
FIREFLY MICROMODE WITH ULTRA-LONG RUNTIME : Yes
AUTO-MEMORIZATION OF THE LAST USED MODE: Yes
SPECIAL SIGNALS (STROBE): Yes
ABILITY TO SAVE INDIVIDUAL USER SETTINGS : No
BUILT-IN LOW BATTERY INDICATION : Yes
BUILT-IN HIGH TEMPERATURE INDICATION : No
MULTI-COLOR LED INDICATION: No
INDICATION OF BATTERY VOLTAGE : No
BATTERY OVER-DISCHARGE PROTECTION CIRCUIT FOR UNPROTECTED BATTERIES USING : Yes
ADVANCED ELECTRONIC REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION : Yes
LIGHT OUTPUT WITHOUT FLICKERING : Yes
ABILITY TO USE BATTERIES WITH A FLAT CONTACT: Yes
PROTECTION FROM ACCIDENTAL SWITCH-ON: Yes

MSRP: $100

Lets take a look around the light

2ihxil3.jpg
242ym52.jpg

25uh0qs.jpg
2u8jxh5.jpg

Writing on the light is extensive and a bit to much in my opinion. Version 3 of the Predator looks very similar as the previous 2.5 version. Later in this review, you cane see them side-by-side.

Operating of the light goes thru a forward clickly switch at the back. The special anodized coating that ArmyTek puts on their lights, provide a very grippy surface even when wet.
A stainless steel bezel ring, protects the glass when being dropped. ArmyTek did remove the bezel ring around the switch. Because of the protruding switch, this light cannot tailstand. It does make
operating of the light very easy. There is a attachment point for the lanyard at the tail. The grip ring and both the rubber space rings are removable if desired.

1180kfd.jpg
2v0o1gl.jpg

bf2kxk.jpg
nwhfk8.jpg

My sample has a perfectly centered led. The reflector is flawlessly smooth to provide the most throw possible. The applied AR coating lets as much as possible light thru the glass.
Threads are well machined and are very smooth. Enough lube has been applied during assembly. The battery-tube has double o-rings at both ends.

wl2auc.jpg

The Predator comes apart in three parts. The head, battery tube and tailcap.

2uqktgh.jpg

Is has a dual spring set up, to provide extra shock absorption for the battery. Because of the dual springs, flat-top batteries are supported.

1zwp5ch.jpg

The holster is basic and provides some protection. The holster has a fixed loop, a quick removal loop and a D-ring at top. The quick removal loop has a push button and velcro to securely attach the holster.

2vs3ia9.jpg
34g95e0.jpg

User Interface:

The UI is simply explained in the manual with text and pictures.

160o7pw.png

fvsc2.png

This light does require quality batteries.

20adjyv.png

Size Comparison:

Predator Pro V3 (left) - Predator Pro V2.5 (right)

varg9.jpg
zuf5hc.jpg

fa7yu0.jpg

Beamshot:

The beam profile of the V3 is comparable with the older version. Of course, the V3 has more output and more throw but the pattern is similar.
Soccer goal is about 120 meters away, and is easily reached.

14aiqhe.jpg

Pros and Cons:

+ Lot of throw in compact size
+ Enough output levels
+ Electronics are potted
+ Excellent impact and submersible rating
+ Weapon mountable

- Not fully programmable like Predator Pro V2.5
- UI change needs (improved)knowledge of user

Conclusion:

The new Predator Pro is a worthy successor of the V2.5 Predator. It still offers a lot for his size and price. The Predator is mainly targeted to people who need throw. There is some spill, but it isn't much.
There were some complains about bad QC by ArmyTek the last few months. Personally, I can't comment on that, simple because the light I received has no defects. Because of the extended impact resistant
and submersible rating, it is a light that can take a beating according ArmyTek. ArmyTek even claims the light will work in minus 20/25 degrees Celsius. Luckily I can't test the light in those temperatures :grin2: .
But to be fair, the Predator Pro V3 is a nice light if you're looking for a light that can handle more abuse than competitors.

*The flashlight in this review has been provided by ArmyTek for review*

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I like the duel springs in my V3 Viking over my 2.5 Predator single trail cap spring. Reminds me of a duel spring SF setup. I think the main purpose is for battery shock. The 2.5 Predator worked fine with every battery I put inside and so does the Viking. Nice review brother!

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for review! I have the warm white version and love it. The only thing I am not satisfied with is that the regular modes are not possible to lock. I would like the possibility to not change mode when pushing the switch rapidly.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review! I have both the new XHP35 Pred Pros. Compared to my XP-L HI Pred Pros yes the XHP35 variant is brighter. My gripes with it are that the beam profile out of these new XHP35 Pred Pros is not as defined as the other Pred Pro variants and the runtimes with the new XHP35 Pred Pros is surprisingly a good bit shorter. To me the beam profile looks like the reflector design needs to be upgraded a bit for the more powerful emitter.

BASEMENT PICS Predator Pro XHP35HI

IMG_00611_zpslzc0ri3i.jpg
[/URL]

[/IMG]

IMG_0042_zpsxehoiq54.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: