Help a novice decide - Streamlight Pro Tac H4 or ArmyTek Dobermann

YMark

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to replace an old Streamlight that I've carried in my truck for probably a dozen years. The thing is a monster, probably almost a foot long. The switch no longer stays on, and the batteries need replacing again. I was originally going to replace this with a Stinger that a friend of mine uses for termite inspections. So I began my research which is how I ended up here. For grins, I purchased an ArmyTek Elf C2 last week. Neat gadget.

I'm looking for a light that has pretty good throw (couple hundred yards at least), 1200+ lumens, and doesn't need recharging often. It has to hold a charge just sitting in my truck. I'll also need to purchase some 18650s and a charger as I don't have either now. I'd like to stay under $100. This light will not be used for any specific purpose, just a nice all around light.

- My old Streamlight lasted 12 years, is Streamlight's quality still the same?
- The ProTac H4 needs 2 81650 cells vs 1 for the Dobermann
- I'm happy with my new Elf, but people here have posted about issues with Armytek quality
- I like the end cap switch on the H4, but not a deciding factor
- I like that I can charge my Elf with the cell in the flashlight, from what I've read, neither of these options are available on these lights.

Open to other suggestions as well. Thanks for any input.

Mark

arKmm

Enlightened
Modern Streamlight still good! And a variety of lights come with the vehicle charging cradles.

Ultrastinger LED (1100 lumen), Stinger HL (800 lumen) being the two obvious choices.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Stinger HL's with a dual switch are pretty good too.

I have an HL4 I progremmed L/M/H because the 60 lumen low does just about everything I need. The 600 lumen medium is my "bright" beam with lots of runtime. And if I absolutely positively have to blind everything in the area of a football field I opt for High beam.

In terms of lightweight, well balanced the Stinger series is a really nice choice. The HL4 has a burely front end to disipate all the heat from the 4 die emitter, but that also effectively double as a self protection device if need arises.

It comes with 4 batteries you can stash for just in case in your truck as they have a 10+ year shelf life.
I cannot speak for the other brand but can say Streamlight still makes some mighty fine duty lights.

Last edited:

Latest posts