Best Way to Remove Hard Anodizing

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of lights that I want to remove the anodizing on and I read online about using an oven cleaner but most folks said that wouldn't work for Hard Anodizing. I was thinking using Air Craft Remover. I've had luck with that in the past but I didn't know if it would work. I was thinking someone here must have done this before. Thanks guys!!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of lights that I want to remove the anodizing on and I read online about using an oven cleaner but most folks said that wouldn't work for Hard Anodizing. I was thinking using Air Craft Remover. I've had luck with that in the past but I didn't know if it would work. I was thinking someone here must have done this before. Thanks guys!!

Hard Anodizing(Type III) is not a coating like paint, it is an oxide layer and is basically part of the aluminum and harder/stronger then the material itself. So, it can not be removed easily. Paint strippers and other chemical agents will not work and can be quite hazardous so don't waste your time. Sanding or abrasive blasting would probably be the best way to try and remove it but, I have never tried it myself. It's probably not worth it imo.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up. I don't know much about hard anodizing. I've only removed regular anodizing before.

Enderman

Enlightened
Sandblasting or sanding it off will work, it will take some effort though.
You basically have to scrape off the top layer of metal.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used Caistic Soda to remove SF HA. Make up a strong solution with hot water.
You only need to leave to pieces in the solution for about 5 mins. Too long will start to pit the aluminium.
Once the ano is removed, clean with a Scotchbrite. You can then treat the surface with wire wool or wet and dry paper as you wish.
WEAR GLOVES AND GOGGLES. Caustic Soda is evil stuff.
P

6PX.jpg

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it should be noted that many lights don't actually use true high quality(thick) Type III hard anodizing even if they say they do. This especially true of one's of Chinese origin. This is likely the reason why some have removed their anodizing so easily.

Last edited:

Emspop

Newly Enlightened
... Moderator Edit to remove baiting / flaming comments ...

Oh and here is an HDS with its TYPE 3 HA removed with easyoff oven cleaner. And since I'm guessing you have never even held one just ask around.
35b688d39a8b7a5b3eed1e854a30126b.jpg
oh and don't let the join date and post count fool you.

Last edited by a moderator:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I use Bar Keepers Friend to remove baked on brake dust from alluminum wheels.

Easy-Off is too strong for wheels (I'm told) and the BKF uses a milder version of the caustics in Easy Off. Make a paste and use a tooth brush to scour off the crud. I was told by a wheel guy that on some alluminum alloys Easy Off causes dark spots. But I don't think the alloy for wheels is aircraft type like flashlights are. Just sayin'....

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
... quote of edited post removed by Mod ...

Look man, I was simply saying that many chemicals and paint strippers won't remove high quality HA as it is not paint. Abrasive blasting will definitely remove it and is a safer recommendation imo. I don't doubt that something with the right acid in the right molar concentration will remove it as the right acid in the right concentration will dissolve the whole flashlight given enough time. A strong enough base might do it as well. But, many chemicals are dangerous and give off harmful fumes so, you should definitely know what you are doing and take the proper precautions. Also, using the wrong product or mixing the wrong products could be dangerous. Allowing the product to sit too long could damage, discolour, and/or pit the aluminum as well so again, you had better know what you are doing. And, I wasn't shrugging off Gunga(I respect his knowledge) or anyone else. I was simply saying that not all hard anodizing is created equal and certain companies tend to exaggerate or outright lie about what they are using. Low quality anodizing is a lot easier to remove then real Type III MIL-A-8625 HA no matter how you do it.

... unhelpful response to baiting / flaming also removed ...

Your response may have been in the queue during moderation, but please let it go now. I would prefer not to have to lock this thread, thank you.

Last edited: