Night Ops Gladius / Typhoon

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Night Ops Gladius / Insight Typhoon

I have a problem...

pjrIFFXl.jpg

Always been intrigued by the ability to add multi-levels to a light and still maintain tactical momentary. A lot of different designs have addressed it, and when the Gladius came along it seemed to be an ingenius solution. A multi-level rotary UI with constant on simulated "clicky" and a channel with momentary high output, and a strobe. When the Gladius came out, it was outrageously expensive for my meager budget (around $190 IIRC) Back when I saved up my pennies to buy a Surefire G2 for $60 and that was insane! Recently, Gladius and Typhoon examples have popped up on the 'bay and in forums here and there. Since the output leaves something to be desired in relation to today's new offerings, their budget friendly prices and user condition make them prime specimens for modding. I've accumulated a nice bunch of spare parts.

The Gladius Maximus is still stock. Looks like an SSC-P4. The Gladius at the top and the Typhoon third from the top have XM-L2's that I put in. Using LED's on Noctigons and the reflector from the P60-drop in kit, both from mtnelectronics, it works well. The Typhoon has an orange peel and a more neutral tint. The Gladius at the top with the GG&G T.I.D. has a cooler tint and a smooth reflector. Using Tenergy 3.0v rechargeable batts. Stock functionality is preserved but much brighter. Planning on an XHP35 for the Maximus.

Anybody else have a soft spot for these innovative bad boys?

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Your problem sween has made me realise i have one ...................I have no night ops!

Very cool lights:cool:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still have the Gladius that I got from you. Really love the light but really wish it could be modded. So if you know anyone let me know[emoji6]

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had the pleasure of sending my Blackhawk Gladius to Sween1911, to mod/change the LED.

All I have to say is he is a top notch guy! Kept in communication with me the entire time. He mod it and had it shipped out the same day he got it in.

The Gladius that I had was the 80 lumen model so nothing compared to now. The LED he replaced was a neutral tint and much better output. Took it out at night and glad to see my old favorite light was brought back to life.

Definitely recommend him to anyone looking to mod they Gladius lights.

Thanks again for he excellent work Sween1911!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had the pleasure of sending my Blackhawk Gladius to Sween1911, to mod/change the LED.

All I have to say is he is a top notch guy! Kept in communication with me the entire time. He mod it and had it shipped out the same day he got it in.

The Gladius that I had was the 80 lumen model so nothing compared to now. The LED he replaced was a neutral tint and much better output. Took it out at night and glad to see my old favorite light was brought back to life.

Definitely recommend him to anyone looking to mod they Gladius lights.

Thanks again for he excellent work Sween1911!

My pleasure, buddy. Glad I could share the love for this classic light.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some comparison shots to quantify the results of the modding...

Malkoff M61N on left, Gladius XML2 on right
ysdEUPCm.jpg

Malkoff M61N on left, Gladius Maximus XHP50 on right
Hqm40iFm.jpg

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Updated family shot. Top down (left to right in emitter shot)...
Grey, original Lux III
Black, XM-L2, neutral white tint, OP reflector. Actually had this in the Typhoon and swapped.
Black Maximus, XHP50
Insight Typhoon XM-L2, smooth reflector
Green, SSC P4. Curiously, not marked as a Maximus version, I think this one was sent back for an upgrade during its life.

OeAJqO3l.jpg

(the grey and green ones I think have the ceramic coating, and the logo is oddly enough reversed from the black ones I have.

0qR65zPl.jpg

Last edited:

Onetoomany

Newly Enlightened
Re: Night Ops Gladius / Insight Typhoon

Any advice about diagnosing problems in the Gladius? I have one Maximus in perfect condition, and a second Maximus and a Night OPs I mistook for a Gladius that have issues.

I also don't understand the difference between the Gladius and the Night OP... I got the first Gladius years ago and have been living in CR123 battery hell ever since.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Night Ops Gladius / Insight Typhoon

What issues are you having?

Also, the Insight Typhoon and NightOps Gladius are identical.

Last edited: