How are multi LED flashlights wired to control current w/o resistors or regulator?

kaiguang

Newly Enlightened
The background for question: I have several cylindrical LED flashlights that have a large number of LEDs in them (the one I'm looking at has 9, which I think is typical.)
They take 3 AAA batteries, wired in series, to give around 4.5 volts (More, on fresh alkaline batteries, but voltage probably drops to 4.5 or less under load)
I've had a couple fail and taken them apart. I don't see any current limiting resistors or any components. The little PC board the LEDs are wired into is crowded so it's hard to tell what's going on, but I think they are wired in series.
I gather that if you wire your LEDs in series and can get the total voltage drop across your LEDs to equal the supply voltage you can omit a current limiting resistor? But I don't see how you get a drop of exactly 4.5 volts out of 9 LEDs. With LEDs with a 1.2 volt drop, 5 LEDS would equal 6 volts, so that would work.
Actually, I just looked at the PC board and the LEDs appear to be wired in parallel. Are there ultra-bright LEDs that you can drive directly off of 4.5 volts without a current limiting resistor? Or are there special purpose ultra bright white LEDs made for 4.5 volt supply that have internal current limiting resistors?
Follow-up question: Does anybody know if the 12 volt LED bulbs that are in landscape lights have a voltage regulator in them? I'm interested in using them as room lights for a photography setup, where I can quench the lights as the camera shutter opens. If they are simply LEDs and resistors, the'll quench well within the approx. 50 MS before the camera shutter opens. If there's a regulator in the system, they probably won't.
EDIT: I looked more closely at the PCB, and it's wired with all the LEDs in parallel. The flashlights that have failed have had a failure in the switch/wiring, not in the PCB assembly. The one I photographed got messed up by leaking alkaline batteries. I was able to clean it off and repurpose it as a subject light for my photography. It's "grotty" appearance is the residue of the battery electrolyte paste, and the wires are wires I soldered on in order to power it directly from a trio of AA batteries. (The original flashlight uses 3 AAA cells wired in series.
Here is the back of the PCB, showing the traces:
ZaqcK.jpg

And here is the front, showing the LED lenses:
A5Ong.jpg

There is nothing else to the flashlight aside from the metal barrel, the battery holder, and a switch. I guess it's possible there is a current limiting resistor in the battery holder that I missed, but I doubt it. Plus I've driven the LED assembly for 15 minutes or more from 3 AA batteries, so if it was going to heat up and fry, I would think it it would have happened already. My guess is that these are ultra bright white LEDs that have a 4.5 forward voltage drop. Is there such a thing as LED packages with built-in current limiters?
Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aren't they wired in parallel?

Maybe 3 fresh "heavy duty " alkaline cells sag enough with 9x +/-20mAh leds draining 180+mA from them to not have enough power available to fry the leds?

- what happens if you give it 3 primary lithium AAs?

I'm so glad we've got such better lights now, man that looks squirrelly.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
After you powered the board with your trio of AA batteries, did you take some voltage measurements to see what is going on? I seem to remember 5mm white leds have a forward voltage drop of over 2v.....but not over 3v. Not sure of the exact value. Measure the voltage across an LED to see if it matches your battery voltage. If's its above 3v, then I suspect that each LED has its own built in resistor. Maybe that's a reach and not possible with those LEDs but take some voltage measurements and that will help with figuring out what is going on.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are wired in parallel. Those type of flashlights rely on an alkalines own internal resistance (along with the slight drop over contacts, wiring, case/body, switch, etc) to limit the current provided to the LEDs. Lithium primaries would deff make it brighter.... & bluer.... & angrier.... Eventually deader.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
After you powered the board with your trio of AA batteries, did you take some voltage measurements to see what is going on? I seem to remember 5mm white leds have a forward voltage drop of over 2v.....but not over 3v. Not sure of the exact value. Measure the voltage across an LED to see if it matches your battery voltage. If's its above 3v, then I suspect that each LED has its own built in resistor. Maybe that's a reach and not possible with those LEDs but take some voltage measurements and that will help with figuring out what is going on.

All conventional white LED's I've ever seen have a nominal forward voltage of around 3V. I think the lowest are around 2.7V, and I think think I've seen some as high as 3.5V somewhere.

LED voltage also isn't actually fixed. It's specified at a certain current level. It's not linear like simple resistance load, but it does take higher voltage to drive an LED harder. Some LED's can actually be pushed pretty hard. I've seen data from an XP-G2, for example, nominally rated at 2.9V, pushed all the way up to 4.4V (which I think killed it).

So that combined with factors others have mentioned all come into play.