Is the led lenser x21r.2 good?

Scaramoosh

Newly Enlightened
I walk the dogs in pitch black fields and woods, my current 1000 lumen torch isn't enough. This torch is on sale for 206 quid right now... is it good? Or are there much better options?

I really want to flood an arena but still have range. If I'm honest the induction charging and holder really sells it lol, plugging in a wire each time and having to store a torch would get annoying.

Im looking at that or the Nitecore alternative, but it's 160 quid more.

stephenk

Enlightened
If you just want a bright flooder (and don't need zoom) then go for the Convoy L6 which can be picked up for around $50. BLF Q8 is another good option - PM me for a code if interested.

Dio

Newly Enlightened
What exactly is your current "1000 lumen torch" that is insufficient?

Naming the light isn't shaming it if it doesn't suit your needs.. it may help to offer a recommendation that is more powerful or offers a more useful beam..

Scourie

Enlightened
If your current 1000 lumens isn't enough, have a look at the Olight R50 pro seeker. 3200 lumens and magnetic charging options, for £140.

ven

Flashaholic
If you just want a bright flooder (and don't need zoom) then go for the Convoy L6 which can be picked up for around $50. BLF Q8 is another good option - PM me for a code if interested.

+1

No doubt the lenser will be a nice light, but no way a £200 light imo. Your much better investing your money in a more dedicated light. Be it flood, throw or a mix of both. As mentioned the convoy L6 is a bargain light. This offers a good all round beam with decent reach and spill. Step up a bit with same led and the acebeam k60(K60vn with shaved dome to increase throw).

If I wanted a good all rounder, the fenix tk75 would be on my short list. Options of run time kits to double/triple the runtime, you have a flexible tool to suit many outdoor applications.

If you still want bigger and built in charging, then the fenix rc40 is well worth a look. Many many options, a lot more details of use would be required for a more specific recommendation.

:welcome:

Scaramoosh

Newly Enlightened
I'm not bothered about money, I just want the best I can get... though I won't be paying above £400 for one. I need to be able to see distance as well as up close in the woods, but I'd like to do both at the same time.... where the Lenser sucks at as it doesn't have a central beam like all the others when flooding. None of those brands sell here, I'm not importing either as I want to be able to return it easily if it's faulty.

olight, Fenix, led lenser and Nitecore are the ones that sell here, but out of all the high end, the led lenser seems to be the cheapest right now... but it is like 10 times the size.

The lenser seems like the only one with a variable lens, which seems super useful, but it doesn't have the spill of the others.

ven

Flashaholic
If your buying UK side, check flashaholics out(use code cpf for 5% off..........every little helps!) They have the 2018 fenix tk75 with xhp 35 HI's in...................worth a close look. Add a run time kit,4 matching cells (another 4 matching if you go for the kit) for over double the run time.

To give an idea of the form, this is a 2015 version though(slightly different head design and switches are not metal), mine has had the v54 treatment and has 4x xhp70 LED's in. IMHO the tk75 is one of the all time greats, a classic light. Lighter than it looks, great heat dissipation and fenix build/reliability to boot. Although subjective, Fenix comes well before nitecore as a brand..............especially where cost is greater. I will never forget when vinh mentioned about some of the Fenix lights he has modded, so pretty much gutted and used as a host. He did say Fenix are better inside(outside to) in quality/build/design(not in them exact words). From my experience of several brands, i see no reason not to agree.
tk75 with one run time kit next to the rc40vnT
UdeTZ96l.jpg

CJIK7qAl.jpg

And they are not too big, look can fit both in one hand;)
llumQ05l.jpg

Last edited:

stephenk

Enlightened
I'm not bothered about money, I just want the best I can get... though I won't be paying above £400 for one. I need to be able to see distance as well as up close in the woods, but I'd like to do both at the same time.... where the Lenser sucks at as it doesn't have a central beam like all the others when flooding. None of those brands sell here, I'm not importing either as I want to be able to return it easily if it's faulty.

olight, Fenix, led lenser and Nitecore are the ones that sell here, but out of all the high end, the led lenser seems to be the cheapest right now... but it is like 10 times the size.

The lenser seems like the only one with a variable lens, which seems super useful, but it doesn't have the spill of the others.
If you buy the Convoy L6 from Convoy's AliExpress store you shouldn't have any issues if it is faulty. I had a faulty S2+ and after a bit of email tennis diagnosing the problem with Simon, I was sent a replacement. AliExpress also has buyer protection.

Thelightbelongstome

Newly Enlightened
I walk the dogs in pitch black fields and woods, my current 1000 lumen torch isn't enough. This torch is on sale for 206 quid right now... is it good? Or are there much better options?

I really want to flood an arena but still have range. If I'm honest the induction charging and holder really sells it lol, plugging in a wire each time and having to store a torch would get annoying.

Im looking at that or the Nitecore alternative, but it's 160 quid more.

Hi mate, have you looked at the Led Lenser MT18? It's a shorter version with 3k lumens for 5 hours.

Scaramoosh

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Lenser in the end, I had a look at a few locally (only a limited selection) but the Lenser impressed me the most. I love the box, the others were jus tin cardboard boxes... made me very suspicious as if you don't have a good box, it spells no effort made to me. Other than that I loved the wall charger and it's conduction and you don't have to bother with a cable plugging in. I loved the size of it, the thing can double as a bat, but also it's way thinner than the others, it ended up being more comfortable, plus the weight rests on the under side of your arm any ways and so your arm takes the weight.

Also I found out I only need 2500 Lumens, it's the sweet spot and I found 4000 Lumens to be way too bright on another one. Also none of the others could focus, but I really love focusing between wide and long range manually, it feels far superior to be able to do that.... even if you don' have that central beam constantly like the others.

I also liked that it said Engineered in Germany... but I found out they're all Chinese now and made in China :/ Disappointing really, I don't want to support China, I want to support Europe..

Any ways it did turn out to be the torch for me, I only asked here because looking up info on them, everyone slags them off. The way you charge it and the focusing really just won be over, for me it wasn't about the Lumens so much, even 1000 Lumens is pretty bright. What I needed was just more light, I need to fill out an area more and this fills out more at range and up close. Where my Lenser P7R (is it?) produces a nice amount of light, but it just doesn't light much up.

I did look at the RC40, some olight and a Nitecore... none of them had the complete package the Lenser had, also they advertise 4000/6000 and 9000 Lumens, but they do that for 2 mins and then go right down to like 2000, what's the point then? Plus their boxes sucked lol.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Scaramoosh, and welcome to CPF!

I'd like to suggest a slightly different approach, just to give you something to think about.

A high quality headlamp for the flood portion of your needs, such as this:
http://www.zebralight.com/H600Fw-Mk-III-XHP35-Floody-Neutral-White-18650-Headlamp_p_184.html

And a dedicated thrower for looking further away, such as this (possibly with the Cree XH-P35 Hi Domelss Neutral LED):
https://illuminationgear.com/products/eagtac-sx30c2-etsx30c2

This approach has many advantages, one being that having two lights is always a good idea, just in case, and the other being that by splitting the duties, each light can be optimized for it's particular duty, and instead of having to carry one big, heavy light during your walks, you can comfortably wear one on your head and carry the other in a holster or pocket until needed.

Of course, if you decide to go this direction, there are many choices for both headlamps and throwy lights. My suggestions were just to get you going in the right direction. You might also want to think about what kind of tint you want for the beam. Many folks enjoy having a warmer tint for their outdoor lights (as opposed to the cool white color of many lights), as it's often easier on the eyes and renders outdoor colors better, making for a more enjoyable experience.

Also, if you decide to go with one high powered light that uses multiple lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, then be sure you spend a bit of time learning about how to handle and charge lithium-ion cells safely. The single cell lithium-ion lights I suggested, typically won't have those issues, but it's still worth learning to use those cells safely. Here's a good resource:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

In any case, I'd recommend spending some time looking around the forum and reading as many reviews and related threads as you can before making a purchase.

Good luck, and happy trails!~

Scaramoosh

Newly Enlightened
Howdy Scaramoosh, and welcome to CPF!

I'd like to suggest a slightly different approach, just to give you something to think about.

A high quality headlamp for the flood portion of your needs, such as this:
http://www.zebralight.com/H600Fw-Mk-III-XHP35-Floody-Neutral-White-18650-Headlamp_p_184.html

And a dedicated thrower for looking further away, such as this (possibly with the Cree XH-P35 Hi Domelss Neutral LED):
https://illuminationgear.com/products/eagtac-sx30c2-etsx30c2

This approach has many advantages, one being that having two lights is always a good idea, just in case, and the other being that by splitting the duties, each light can be optimized for it's particular duty, and instead of having to carry one big, heavy light during your walks, you can comfortably wear one on your head and carry the other in a holster or pocket until needed.

Of course, if you decide to go this direction, there are many choices for both headlamps and throwy lights. My suggestions were just to get you going in the right direction. You might also want to think about what kind of tint you want for the beam. Many folks enjoy having a warmer tint for their outdoor lights (as opposed to the cool white color of many lights), as it's often easier on the eyes and renders outdoor colors better, making for a more enjoyable experience.

Also, if you decide to go with one high powered light that uses multiple lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, then be sure you spend a bit of time learning about how to handle and charge lithium-ion cells safely. The single cell lithium-ion lights I suggested, typically won't have those issues, but it's still worth learning to use those cells safely. Here's a good resource:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

In any case, I'd recommend spending some time looking around the forum and reading as many reviews and related threads as you can before making a purchase.

Good luck, and happy trails!~

I actually got a nice little Lantern type light that's only 200 nits, but it doesn't bother my Dogs. Then I have my 1000 nits smaller led torch and now my led lenser, plus I got my Dogs a light for each of their Collars so I know where they are and a head torch lol.

Like a Disco up in the fields now.