How to match Eneloop AA cells?

turnipfarmer

Newly Enlightened
Now that I'm way on my way sorting through my batteries I want to sort them into pairs.

I mainly use the batteries in Xbox controllers, imac mouse and keyboards etc.

Is there a method or formula to work out matching cells?

fmc1

Enlightened
I start by numbering all the batteries. Then I cycle all of them with a charge->discharge->charge and record the discharge capacity. Sort them by capacity and pair up the one that are closest to each other. I have quite a few devices that use 4 AAA's and 4 AA's and one that uses 8 AA's so I match up those as well. I try and do this at least once a year. Also if a battery does not test out to at least 80% of capacity I separate it and use it one more time in a very low drain device like a TV remote and after it dies I toss it.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I'm way on my way sorting through my batteries I want to sort them into pairs.

I mainly use the batteries in Xbox controllers, imac mouse and keyboards etc.

Is there a method or formula to work out matching cells?

Does it really matter? These are AA batteries and we're not launching the space shuttle. Just use 'em as you grab them.

dragosios

Newly Enlightened
Same rule as battery packs: should match them accordingly to the internal resistance.
Some chargers will show you the IR while charging the cell, so that should be easy.
Another empirical method would be to select the lowest voltage cell in a group until you have a new group, charge that group and discharge again, note the lowest voltage one and continue, but that is time consuming and cumbersome than using a charger which shows the IR in a single charge cycle.