Finally after no perefect match, Fenix has met every need. FD41

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quwIHQt3qLk

I have always alternated between lights having more flood than I wanted, or lights having more spot than I wanted. I just now got the Fenix FD41 after spending enough TIME to get my monies worth out of my TK20-R. I have to say this FD41 is something else. Perfection. Sometimes I want to reach out and touch someone. Sometimes I want to just see what is in front of me. This light lets me do both things with ease. I wish I had have waited and just bought this light It is amazing.

I have plans of doing outdoor videos etc but I have to wait for the right conditions.

Stay tuned.

Loverofthelight

Newly Enlightened
Hitechwg,

I am happy for you that you've got your satisfying flashlight.
Thanks for the sharing, looking forward to your outdoor videos.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you found a light that meets all your needs and I'm not trying to "rain on your parade", but I see some issues with this light myself.

* Cool white, as most all Fenix's are. Not sure why some of these brands so steadfastly stick to blue emitters.
* 10lm low. Fenix is notorious for hating moonlight modes. I, and most folks I think, really appreciate a good moonlight mode and this light doesn't have it.
* 29kcd zoomed seems really weak to me. An XP-L HI in a C8 will do 90kcd, or more. And that's still "losing light" into the spill since its not a zoomie. So I suspect this light has the same problem as lots of zoomies -- it may make 900 lumens at the emitter but those zoomie optics are soaking up light like crazy. OTF lumens is probably much less.

Now I'll admit I haven't handled the light. It may be still be a great light and I really am glad you love it. I'm just not so sure I would.

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
Well, I think the tint and CRI would not be right for my needs, but I would like to see some out shots at various distances of the focusing in actino. Are you familiar with the old maglites and how they performed? Is the focusing any better than that?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
* 29kcd zoomed seems really weak to me. An XP-L HI in a C8 will do 90kcd, or more. And that's still "losing light" into the spill since its not a zoomie. So I suspect this light has the same problem as lots of zoomies -- it may make 900 lumens at the emitter but those zoomie optics are soaking up light like crazy. OTF lumens is probably much less.
The problem with zoomies is that all the light that the led emits sideways, is lost. And at full zoom, the lense is always far from the led, so it's a lot of light that is lost. Normally around 50% is lost at full zoom. It's only the light that is emmited forwards that hits the lense/optic that goes out the front. In a reflectored light, all the light the led emit sideways, hits a reflector, and becomes the hotspot. The light that the led emits forwards and don't hit the reflector, turns into the flood part of the beam.

Andy

Newly Enlightened
So what would the light do with a 3500 Mah 18650 battery, more light, longer battery life, both? Thanks, Andy