Is Streamlight just not a light to bet your life on? Broke twice now in the same spot

somename

Newly Enlightened
So March of 2016 I bought a TLR-1 HL new from a local shop that sells lots of them, so I know it is not a knock off.
Within 4 months of it just sitting, I went to flip the switch on one day and the battery compartment cover/switch fell off and the pin and plastic pieces hit the floor."
So I took it to a authorized repair place along with my receipt and the original box and they replaced the battery cover switch at no charge.
So 2 or 3 weeks went by and I got my repaired light back, mount it and back in storage it goes.

It gets used for 2 different sessions on a G19 and then back in storage.
So about 1 year from when the switch was last fixed, I open up the G19 box with the TLR-1 mounted and the switch has busted just sitting.

Seems like I can't really trust this light to be there for me when I need it.
I love the beam and it works great when it worked, but I can't believe they make this battery cover in plastic.
It seems like the plastic pin holder breaks from the stress over time.
If they would make a replacement battery door/switch in some type of aluminum or metal, I'd certainly buy that as an upgraded replacement.

Is there something that you can trust your life to better than a TLR-1 HL but still as bright?
Also trying to be priced reasonable $150-$200.
2017-11-11%2016.20.59.jpg

2017-11-11%2016.18.33.jpg

2017-11-11%2016.20.59.jpg

free2game

Newly Enlightened
A lot of streamlights stuff is made to more of a pricepoint to market to LEOs, most militaries use surefire pistol lights for a reason.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
If this were an actual problem we would hear a lot more about it. The streamlight pistol lights are the brand I've seen used most in person and never any issue with a single one.

With the same exact problem happening more than once, I'm more inclined to say it's operator error. I've seen it with all kinds of products. Extremely reliable never any problems but one person don't use it right or can't figure out proper use and it breaks.

Just an observation I have made throughout life.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
We have about a workforce of nearly 15 000 who have personally issued M&P 40s with the TLR-1 attached and I've never had an issue with mine or heard of any major issues elsewhere.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In answer to your final question, check out the PRX weapon light from Milepost28.com. Desighned by Paul Kim, the genius behind Surefire (when it was Surefire). 149 bucks.
P

free2game

Newly Enlightened
We have about a workforce of nearly 15 000 who have personally issued M&P 40s with the TLR-1 attached and I've never had an issue with mine or heard of any major issues elsewhere.

If those lights are like the LEO guns I've seen they're carried a lot and used almost never, so not sure that's a good judge of it.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks really bad.
Is there some kind of incompatible solvent coming into contact with the plastic?
Is it not tightened down on the rail and breaking from recoil?
Pretty disappointing for 150$.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
If those lights are like the LEO guns I've seen they're carried a lot and used almost never, so not sure that's a good judge of it.

They're jammed in and out of holsters multiple times a day, switches are tested at the start of every shift and they are also used at the range. I think they get their fair share of wear and tear.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
I have several of these TLR-1s and have never had this issue. TLRs are really well-respected in the LEO community as others have stated.

I will say though that the SF X-300U-B is also an excellent light, and it is not all that much more $$ if you can find it on sale.

The battery door is polymer on BOTH lights however.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
Looking at your pics a little closer I am suspicious that your example might be a fake - not sure, but check out these differences in the label.

YOUR LIGHT:

5g3eavZ.png

Light in another image found online:

ljgaXSY.png

The font, TM and R logos are different. Could be authentic just something I noticed.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In a general sense the answer to the question is yes they are typically a brand of product you can depend your life on.

Is there an issue with the TLR-1 HL battery cover? Obviously, yes. At least with yours, but I suspect it's not the only one. And I'd hope you could contact Streamlight and spell out what happened to yours because even 1 failure is a big deal. Perhaps yours is an isolated unit that got past QC (quality control) as that sort of thing does happen, even when QC is 100% of items get inspected.

Is yours a fake? Well, I'd doubt that being you bought it at an authorized dealer. User error? I cannot say there but I do know with my Sidewinder it can be tricky to close the button cover because they made it such that you know you aren't doing it right if things aren't going together easily, so again I'd speculate yours was an isolated incident.

But being the replacement part failed the same way the original is a huge deal and that's why I'd hope you'll contact Streamlight ASAP so they'll know, and maybe do a recall. This is not some MicroStream or Nano light, but a "failure is not an option" light and Streamlight should know they can fail. You may help save a good guys life by reporting your failed part to them.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
In answer to your final question, check out the PRX weapon light from Milepost28.com. Desighned by Paul Kim, the genius behind Surefire (when it was Surefire). 149 bucks.
P
The PRX is not a handgun light and likely won't work properly on an average handgun rail. It is more for long gun applications. It is also a new and unproven product from a tiny company that is barely known in the industry(I doubt a single department or military force in North America, or anywhere for that matter, even uses any of their lights). Streamlight and Surefire are trusted by hundreds of thousands of officers in LE, Mil, Special Units, and Private Security around the world and have been battle proven over many years. Personally, I would stick with them.

While Paul Kim was a big part of Surefire back in the day and had some great designs, he was only part of a team of people responsible for their success and I personally think his days of putting lighting tools in the hands of professionals ended when he left Surefire and started making lights that look like they come from a cheesy anime movie.

OP, I think you may have gotten a fake or a lemon as the TLR series is a very respected and proven weapon light and many use it without issue. You could check out the Surefire X300 series if you want to try something else though. They are generally well liked and proven weapon lights as well.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
PRX is a rifle light.

Although PK's company is just getting going, there are some getting into the hands of some profesionals. But like SureFire way back when it's a slow process since there is a lot at stake.

Streamlight on the other hand has a giant R&D team and budget so their products can get out faster as development takes place, but... sometimes design issues show up in the darndest places at the darndest time(s). This one appears to be for recreation and just incase.

If it ends up being a fake, the dealer should be made aware as well. But again, when the replacement part failed I personally rule out the fake aspect as fakers don't typically have replacement parts available. So unless that dealer canabilized from another fake that doesn't sound like it matters if the original is fake or not.

Last edited:

somename

Newly Enlightened
Looking at your pics a little closer I am suspicious that your example might be a fake - not sure, but check out these differences in the label.

The font, TM and R logos are different. Could be authentic just something I noticed.

Here is another view of it
This place is 100% an authorized dealer. In fact in October I visited the gun shop and they had a Streamlight rep there with a table setup showing new lights and offering discounts for that day.

It does look like the body color is a little off now that you mention it, but I've already had this to a separate shop who is an authorized repair center and they said nothing about it..?

2017-11-11%2016.18.50.jpg

somename

Newly Enlightened
OP, I think you may have gotten a fake or a lemon as the TLR series is a very respected and proven weapon light and many use it without issue. You could check out the Surefire X300 series if you want to try something else though. They are generally well liked and proven weapon lights as well.

I think I'll try by passing the repair shop (which is not where I bought it from) and contact Streamlight direct and talk with them about it. If in fact they conclude it is fake some how, then they probably will want to know their authorized dealer is selling fakes.

There isn't any Streamlight Reps on CPF by chance are there?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll try by passing the repair shop (which is not where I bought it from) and contact Streamlight direct and talk with them about it. If in fact they conclude it is fake some how, then they probably will want to know their authorized dealer is selling fakes.

There isn't any Streamlight Reps on CPF by chance are there?

That sounds like a good plan. Even if it is not a fake, it may have some kind of flaw or damage that happened in production that is not easily evident. Maybe Streamlight will have you send it in for inspection and/or just replace it now that the issue has happened again after repair at an authorized repair center. Let us know how it turns out:thumbsup:

Bill liggon

Newly Enlightened
If this were an actual problem we would hear a lot more about it. The streamlight pistol lights are the brand I've seen used most in person and never any issue with a single one.

With the same exact problem happening more than once, I'm more inclined to say it's operator error. I've seen it with all kinds of products. Extremely reliable never any problems but one person don't use it right or can't figure out proper use and it breaks.

Just an observation I have made throughout life.

Definitely not user error. I broke one around 5 years ago and I literally just broke my second one.

richief

Newly Enlightened
I know I am late to the game, but +1 for a broken battery door on my TLR1-HP. Easily repairable, and they were great about sending the part, I am just Not sure what to use it for now. The large light dome on the -HP makes it unsuitable for a pistol light (where it might hold up under fire), and putting it back on my ar would be doing the same thing over again, expecting different results. Any Ideas?

neby98

Newly Enlightened
I've never had a problem with the TLR but I have an older surefire, that a buddy gave me. It has less listed output, but I much prefer it to the TLR... Still they are a good deal for a light you're not going to use very often. I would still trust mine to work when needed. I have had to send 2 of my streamlights back, both handhelds but they seem to take good care of me when I've had to deal with it.