Can your recommend me something?

matt4x4

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I am new, I just joined, Hello my name is Matt and yes I do like to offroad, Jeep guy here!

I need a decent light for my bicycle, I live in Canada, Alberta (North of Montana) not too far from the border and the days get dark early.
I would like something with lots of power, so I assume the correct term is lots of lumens...... or candlepower.
You must realize too that I do not like to spend lots of money, so if there is a decent cheap unit on ebay from China I am game for that. I can make a flashlight mount for my handlebar easy enough.
My last ebay purchase was like $20, metal, and the lens slid, it didnt last long as a camping light.
Next up was some Duracell thing that looked half decent at Costco, metal, good size, forget what went wrong with it. Think I cut it up and messed it up.

Yes, I can solder and was thinking it cant be that hard to make my own light. Buy some led's, but realizing I need a driver and lense. Cree bulbs, XML, U5....all beyond me. Can solder though ;)

I've ordered lots of electronic parts from Digikey, and I found out they sell Cree
*link removed
They've always been fast shipping with good flat rate s/h.

I will surf around a bit more here and read up.
Any links you guys wanna link me too, that would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Keitho

Enlightened
For biking, I like to keep weight down, and still have good runtime, so I'd limit my search to 18650 lights. Single cell lights like the convoy S2+ can be bought as complete lights, or put together in a custom way to you liking, since it seems you like to tinker. I'd start on the MTN electronics site, look at the convoy s2+ hosts, and read the description as to the other parts you'd need to build a light. Then, go to town!