Please recommend an Led flood torch

Thelightbelongstome

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking for a decent flood light type led torch for walking the dog through wooded areas in the night. I've looked at the following torches and so far really like the olight x7r,

Olight x7r
Led Lenser MT18
Acebeam x80
Fenix Rc40

I like the olight x7r due to its 2hours of 3k lumens with the bonus of 12k if you need a lot of light for a short time plus it's very nicely finished too. I was looking at the Led lenser mt18 which has 5 hours of 3k lumens, it's just not that well reviewed and is a bit more bulky and has a Maz of 3k lumens.

I'm pretty much set on the olight unless anyone has some other/better recommendations, also I'm in England so can someone please tell me a good secure site to buy from?

Cheers guys.

ven

Flashaholic
The problem i have(as well as cost) with the mt18, it simply does not even say which LED is used and no doubt it wont be a new gen . Its ipx4 which although may not effect many users, its not the best . Then the battery side, no mention of voltage, or what the pack is..........is it a 2s2p, 2s3p............who knows unless i have missed the info.

Flashaholics is a good shop, but dont always have the latest versions(they do have the 2018 tk75 in, the rc40 and x7(not r) also). CPF code gets 5% off, which spending that kind of amount does help.

If your walking through wooded areas(so trees around and presuming not much open space) then 3000lm will be too much. It will hit all around and may effect vision and overpower close up.

Saying that, the tk75 is a very good all rounder and would be tempted with the new version. The rc40 is a beast, can run at high levels for decent duration's if needed. The rc40 has a 2s3p pack, so inside it has 6x 18650 cells giving 7.4v nominal 7800mah, . Its a big chunk of light and cost though, certainly if not a S&R member or flashaholic!
Back to the tk75(sound like a broken record here) but the options of run time kits can more than double.....even triple your run time(very long dog walk) if needed. Not just that though, instead of say an hour use and swap out the cells for fresh or recharge, you may only need to swap out the cells every 2 or 3 days................does make a difference when dealing with multi cell lights if its a daily practice.

So i am trying to think its me, need a good light with decent reach and spill for walking the dog. I want reputable company, decent respected brand and good performance . I dont want to risk a new kid on the block, i want some history/reputation if i am going to invest £100's . Bottom line its a tool(all be it a fancy one compared to what many would choose), it has to work, it has to perform.............Fenix tk75 would be where my choice would be. Yes i love the rc40(more so as its modded by vinh and a neutral colour temp with de-domed emitters, programmable driver, 10a 3500mah cells over the 2600mah provided in standard pack.........oh and near 8000lm and 500kcd ) . But as its almost twice the cost of the tk75, its a big jump in cost. Then with the tk75, its your choice if you want to run an extra kit(so another 4 cells with a total of 8), its nice to have that extra flexibility.
Now with the tk75 being more "throwy" over the x7r, you dont need the light set as high as you would the x7r for anything in the distance. It also offers good spill(flood) around, so rather than a dedicated throw or flood light, you get a mix of both. You could run the tk75 at 1000lm and have 6hrs (or 12 run time kit dependent), and see further than 2000-3000lm of flood(just an example here). Just a thought thats all....
UdeTZ96l.jpg

Lt2qhBUl.jpg

Too add, nothing against the olight x7r, i dont actually have one of these but olight do make a nice light. If pop can and flood is your ultimate goal, the olight would be a good choice from your list. Acebeam wise i do like, innovative and again make a nice light. Big fan of their k60 light and x65, not got any experience of the x80.

Good luck, sure there will be lots of advice coming. Lots of choices, but UK only does limit a little and does bump cost up.

Keitho

Enlightened
Hard to recommend against the X7R. I love my X7vn--you might want to take a peek at that. You'd end up with a better driver (my subjective opinion) and more lumens, but give up the cool features that the r has. And ven has a point: even at 3000 lumens, that's too much for the woods most of the time.

If you'd like too look at an alternative, maybe look into higher CRI. I often use my M43 Nichia at a 1500 lumen setting rather than my X7 at 21000 lumens because, especially outdoors, CRI and color temperature matter when seeing colors and textures. And, you'd be surprised how little difference there is between 7000 lumens and 21000.

Latest posts