Has HDS ever made a flashlight with the followings?

aau007

Enlightened
Over 300 lumens
4000k to 5000k
OP reflector
CRI > 92
Anodized in different colors?

Obviously then the popular choices of rotary, tactical rotary, LE, raised/flat switch, AA tube, 18650 tube, etc.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. You can have 4000K and CRI > 92, but only at 200lm. There was a group buy for a 4000K XP-L 325 but it was not high CRI.

As far as I know HDS has never done special annodizing, but you'll probably see various cerakoted colors if you search around.

I believe all current models come with the smooth but dull finish reflector, which is quite excellent by the way.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the limited special run of 4000k xp-l 325 checks all the marks except for cri.

I had an older 325 with op reflector but I'm not sure what temp or cri was on it and it was not one of the limited run lights.

Other than that, I'm only familiar with current offerings from Henry or Hogo

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
OverReady and ThorCustomLeather sheaths have had Cerakote and hi cri custom runs in the past, as far as I'm aware nothing over 250 Lumens but I've been out of the game awhile

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like others have said, its a nope. But you can have that if you wanted to do it yourself. Find a cerakoted light in the color you want and swap in a 219c. All recent (really, for a while now) HDS lights are 1 amp drivers on high. A D260-bin 219c comes in those tints with 90+ CRI, and will do 350 lumens at 1 amp. You'll lose some to the lens, especially if you've got sapphire, but you should still be 300+ OTF.

aau007

Enlightened
I notice that most if not all HDS high CRI lights, regardless of color temperature, are only at 200 lumens. Why is this a magic number for HDS?

BTW, I don't recall a 250 lms HICRI either.

Isn't the current HICRI using the 219c?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice that most if not all HDS high CRI lights, regardless of color temperature, are only at 200 lumens. Why is this a magic number for HDS?

Same
As I understand Henry won't overdrive his lights which is fair ... and I m ok with that... for warranty, replacement, or dependability issues I get it BUT A 250 hicri would be nice! I think that would be the best light anybody could have. Give it the throw, the range, the CRI... you d sell a bunch...and HDS would sell a bunch. I personally think a mirror reflector would be a good addition too.

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Steve sorta gave you an answer above, at least he hit on some other issues he's had with HDS, but to directly answer your questions:

200 lumens isn't a "magic number" for HDS. 1 amp is. HDS drivers have always (at least for many many iterations now) been 1 amp drivers. That's considered the "safe" current rate for CR123 primary cells, and HDS is about reliability and safety above all else. Henry's slogan is "The light that gets you home" and he won't do anything, at all, that may reduce his lights' ability to do that. So they're 1 amp lights, period.

So what you can actually see by looking back through past HDS models is how LED tech is advancing. We've gone from 60 and 85 lumen lights, which were still 1 amp drivers, through 120s and 170s, to now 250 and 325 lumen lights at 1 amp using some of the newer Crees like the XP-L. Henry's very slow when accepting new emitters, you won't see him using the "latest and greatest" until its thoroughly proven, but he does slowly advance his lights as tech advances, but always sticking to that 1 amp current level.

...which brings us to your second question. No, the current Hcri lights are not 219c. They're still 219b. And a 219b at 1 amp makes about 200 lumens after you account for lens losses and such. So there we are. But Henry has now at least been exposed to how good a 219c can be through the recent group buys, and those emitters are capable of hitting 250+, possibly even 300 OTF at 1 amp while still being High CRI. Plus 219b is getting harder to find anyway, Nichia seems to be slowing down that production in favor of newer emitters. So while I don't know anything for sure, I think its safe to assume a future where the 219b lights are no longer being made, instead 219c is the normal offering, and it will be making more than 200 lumens I'm sure.

Last edited:

aau007

Enlightened

200 lumens isn't a "magic number" for HDS. 1 amp is. HDS drivers have always (at least for many many iterations now) been 1 amp drivers. ...

So what you can actually see by looking back through past HDS models is how LED tech is advancing. We've gone from 60 and 85 lumen lights, which were still 1 amp drivers, through 120s and 170s, to now 250 and 325 lumen lights at 1 amp using some of the newer Crees like the XP-L. Henry's very slow when accepting new emitters, you won't see him using the "latest and greatest" until its thoroughly proven, but he does slowly advance his lights as tech advances, but always sticking to that 1 amp current level.

...which brings us to your second question. No, the current Hcri lights are not 219c. They're still 219b. And a 219b at 1 amp makes about 200 lumens after you account for lens losses and such. So there we are. But Henry has now at least been exposed to how good a 219c can be through the recent group buys, and those emitters are capable of hitting 250+, possibly even 300 OTF at 1 amp while still being High CRI. Plus 219b is getting harder to find anyway, Nichia seems to be slowing down that production in favor of newer emitters. So while I don't know anything for sure, I think its safe to assume a future where the 219b lights are no longer being made, instead 219c is the normal offering, and it will be making more than 200 lumens I'm sure.

OK, I get it. 200 lms not the magic number but 1A is, which basically translate to 3W output. I found a thread in the budgetlight forum that someone tested the 219c outputting over 350 lms at 3W. So if Henry puts a 219c in his light, with the loss, can easily put out over 300 lms OTF. I will just have to wait for Henry to upgrade to 219c then before my wish can come true? I don't really care for cerakote and as long as the spot is not ringy, I don't care for the reflector either. I do like to have a dome type of cap that will sort of make the light shine like a bulb though. Great for camping.

Steve,

I can feel your pain. Spending this money on a light, one would expect everything to be up to every nanometer of specs if not better.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve,

I can feel your pain. Spending this money on a light, one would expect everything to be up to every nanometer of specs if not better.

Thanks and sorry for the drama... but for the price I expect no issues otherwise the issues should be taken care of. it's still painful and I don't like thinking about it... hurts when I do but it's life. Especially given the fact that those of us who can't afford this sort of product and then having a few bad experiences it makes you look at things completely differently. Even then you continue to talk good about the product and do your best to influence others into buying while at the same time saying it like it is. Simply because you CAN depend on it.
If I d had the experience last year I wouldn't have bought so many... but I can say I ve been there and done that...

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe he just did three different 219C variations, 4000K, 5000K (3 O'clock), and 5700K (High Noon). Pretty sure they were 200 lm, I'm assuming they were programmed way below 1A.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe he just did three different 219C variations, 4000K

no

No, the current Hcri lights are not 219c. They're still 219b

yes, the HDS High CRI on henrys site is 219b

fwiw
219c is more yellow/green than 219b, so unless you want a cooler color temperature, I would stay with the N219b HDS

the 219c CAN be brighter than the 219b @ 1amp, but Henry dials them down to match the 200 lumen "limit". therefore the 219c will have longer runtime than 219b, IF both are at 200 lumens.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
no

yes, the HDS High CRI on henrys site is 219b

fwiw
219c is more yellow/green than 219b, so unless you want a cooler color temperature, I would stay with the N219b HDS

the 219c CAN be brighter than the 219b @ 1amp, but Henry dials them down to match the 200 lumen "limit". therefore the 219c will have longer runtime than 219b, IF both are at 200 lumens.
You're assuming Henry builds it. That wasn't what I was implying :). But that aside surely he wouldn't keep doing that if the 219c became standard. He doesn't tune down the xpl to match the xpg2...

Also I've had and built lots and lots of 219cs. I've only had one individual unit I'd classify as green. They're really rare. Yellowish maybe, but that's just because they're not as rosy as 219bs tend to be. And you can even prevent that now, since Nichia is moving to a 6-quadrant (sextant?) binning system so you can spec emitters that are fully below the bbl if you want a more guaranteed result.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're assuming Henry builds it.
Also I've had and built lots and lots of 219cs. I've only had one individual unit I'd classify as green. They're really rare. Yellowish maybe, but that's just because they're not as rosy as 219bs tend to be.

yes, I was talking about Henry's 4000k N219b High CRI model

yes 219c tend to be more yellow/green than 219b
(both yellow and green are tints above the BBL, and both can be reduced by adding a minus green filter)
green happens at higher CCT, yellow happens at lower CCT
35034573831_7a0a563f08_b.jpg

I agree each LED varies a bit, tint lottery is real, and I agree that overall the 5000k+ N219c is more Yellow/Green than the 4000k N219b
Also agree some specialty N219c can be ordered in 6 quadrant bins, but, Clemence is out of stock, and, the last order I made, has been lost at sea for over 2 months... they are not easy to find. (yet)

on left Marker lad 4000k N219c (more yellow/green), on right Maratac 4000k N219b
32292609901_9dd2546fe6_b.jpg

35129660470_9305317fa3_h.jpg

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went back through the HDS thread and it was, in fact, the 4000K, 5000K, and 5700K Nichia 219C's that were recently built.

ok, thanks for the fact checking. I think there is a misunderstanding about what Im talking about as being offered by HDS website, and some special orders.. I agree the special order through Thorshammerleather.com used N219c 5000k and 5700k, I even agree usdiver has mentioned having one of only 4? 4000k N219c (where is that link?), but those are not "normal" orders off the HDS website.

the HDS Systems High CRI on their website is N219b
pic is a link

Last edited:

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, thanks for the fact checking. I think there is a misunderstanding about what Im talking about as being offered by HDS website, and some special orders.. I agree the special order through Thorshammerleather.com used N219c 5000k and 5700k, I even agree usdiver has mentioned having one of only 4? 4000k N219c (where is that link?), but those are not "normal" orders off the HDS website.

the HDS Systems High CRI on their website is N219b
pic is a link
In the HDS thread. Hogo had a run of each done, and now a second run of 219C 5700K is in progress. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...stems-EDC-19&p=5091277&viewfull=1#post5091277

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Jon is right. But you are technically both right, when we are talking about the limited runs from Hogo

4000k 219c was a run of 4
5000k was a run of 24
5700k was a run of 24 and Hogo is currently doing the second run

Another option i believe is also in the works closer to incan, a very warm version.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Jon is right. But you are technically both right, when we are talking about the limited runs from Hogo

4000k 219c was a run of 4
5000k was a run of 24
5700k was a run of 24 and Hogo is currently doing the second run

Another option i believe is also in the works closer to incan, a very warm version.
? He made 4000K, 5000K, and 5700K and they were all 200 lumens. Others have mentioned that the 219C's should hit 300-350 lumens at 1A. I think it should be close as well, but Henry initially told Hogo he didn't think they would hit 250 lumens based on their specs. Then, after being tested, he programmed them to 200 lumens. I was simply just trying to add another data point that was pertinent to this thread.

Henry goes by the weakest link so they are all guaranteed to be the same output. Some will just be more efficient at that output. I still think the weakest 219C should at least be over 250.