Old school Maglite 6C

dece74

Newly Enlightened
Hey there guys, new member here, I registered because this seemed like the best place to answer my question since my google searches were not yielding much for me. I'm curious what the going rate is for a Maglite 6C? I know there are a pretty rare beast these days.

-Justin F

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome!!!

5 and 6Cs were discontinued in 2002. 7Cs are even rarer and were discontinued in 1989. These lights were not at all popular when they were produced but have become big with collectors now because of their rarity. They do pop up from time to time on Fleabay but aren't usually listed as even being rare. I've picked up quite a few that didn't even list them as 5, 6 or 7Cs but did show the serial number. If you're patient you can get a good deal on one.

Check out my blog too. I have just about everything you wanted to know about 5, 6 and even 7Cs.

http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2017/07/1999-6c-new-in-box-lights.html

Just as an FYI, asking prices on here is usually frowned upon.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hey there guys, new member here, I registered because this seemed like the best place to answer my question since my google searches were not yielding much for me. I'm curious what the going rate is for a Maglite 6C? I know there are a pretty rare beast these days.

-Justin F

Current market pricing can best be determined by searching the web and/or auction sites for recent sales.

.... Just as an FYI, asking prices on here is usually frowned upon.

@LiftdT4R is the CPF resident Maglite expert ... and is correct :)

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious what the going rate is for a Maglite 6C?
Welcome to CPF.
If this is for collection purpose, you still can find it but won't be cheap
If it's for use, you can get some custom made extension tube on easy to find 4C or 5C
BTW, 6D is much easier to find than 6C M*g.
Good luck.

Last edited:

dece74

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, didn't mean to break any etiquette when asking for price, I tried to find old sales ads to research it myself but I came back empty handed. All I could find were posts on websites from the mid 2000's selling old stock and guys like me asking the same quesion.

Welcome to CPF.
If this is for collection purpose, you still can find it but won't be cheap
If it's for use, you can get some custom made extension tube on easy to find 4C or 5C
BTW, 6D is much easier to find than 6C M*g.
Good luck.

Thanks man! The reason I ask is I have one in good condition, and I'm sure a collector will enjoy it much more than I will, but I have no idea what they sell for these days and I didn't want to get ripped off if I just start taking random offers. Any advice?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, let's see some pics and we can tell you how rare it is.

The rarest ones are the first few thousand or so from 1981, the first year of production. The are stamped "Paten Pending" and have the flat end cap that does not store a bulb.

From 1982 to 1986 the lights were stamped "Patented Made in U.S.A." and still had the flat end cap that did not store a bulb. These are pretty rare and desirable as well.

After 1986 the lights went to the "Store-A-Bulb" end cap and had some minor other changes. These lights are far less rare but collectors still look for them. 5 and 6Cs lights were ultimately discontinued in 2002.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice light! It is the least rare out of all the 6Cs but there still is some collector interest. Your date sounds about right. Maglite can always tell you the exact date of manufacture if you ask them. I think there were around 600,000 total produced so 1995 ish sounds about right.

It's interesting to note that in 22 years Mag only moved 600,000 models. Mag moved 600,000 3Ds every 3 months in their heyday. It shows how slow of a seller the 6C really was.

Yates

Newly Enlightened
Hate to bump an old thread, but does anyone know of a 6C letter serial Mag?

Maglite says they were discontinued at the end of 2002, before letter serials were introduced.