New to the forum, lost in batteries for my Olight R52.......

Squished

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at rechargeable micro USB flashlights for a while and notice that many of them had non-serviceable batteries (Rayovac Beast for example) in the price range I was looking at. I finally managed to snag a good deal on an Olight R52 Intimidator and realized after the fact it does not come with batteries. The unit takes 3 x 18650 batteries. I see that Olight sells a 2600, 3200, 3400, 3500, and 3600 mah battery, none of which are inexpensive by any means. So I started looking online, Amazon, eBay, and other sites and found a million 18650 batteries at a million different price points. Some protected, some unprotected, a whole variety of mah ratings. I made it over to this forum and started reading about fake 18650 and how dangerous they can be. At that point, I joined this group and decided to post the question here, what is the best/safest/longest lasting 18650 batteries I should buy for this flashlight?

Thank you in advance, thoroughly confused!

Squished

Newly Enlightened
I should have clarified, I posted it in this particular subforum because my major concern is about reading about "fake" batteries. I have no idea what fake batteries are, but given that the average store doesn't sell 18650 batteries like they do AA batteries, I figured the likelihood I'd buy a fake 18650 is pretty high, especially if I'm looking for the best deal. Looking around this forum, it seems the fake ones like to explode.

if my question is in the wrong subforum, it would be great if a moderator could move it for me. Thank you

ven

Flashaholic
Best is a tough one, however for this light you don't need really high drain cells. Button tops you need iirc(unless changed on later models). Some 10a 3500mah Sanyo GA cells would do nicely, protected the keeppower as one manufacturer . Not sure where you are, if USA side then there are a good few reputable shops. IMR batteries, mtn electronics, going gear, illumn supply to name a few. Try and avoid amazon and Ebay , also any cells ending in fire and over 3600mah(as don't exist). Sanyo, Samsung, Panasonic , Sony and LG are the good ones. Olight, Fenix, nitecore, keeppower add their wraps and PCB(protection circuit) on some . Make sure you use 3 of the same brand/age/rating from the same batch. Don't mix new/old cells or different mah and amp ratings. So 3 matching cells for this light. Congrats, very good light the sr52, can handle high without heat issues( a rarity these days)..

:welcome:

Squished

Newly Enlightened
Best is a tough one, however for this light you don't need really high drain cells. Button tops you need iirc(unless changed on later models). Some 10a 3500mah Sanyo GA cells would do nicely, protected the keeppower as one manufacturer . Not sure where you are, if USA side then there are a good few reputable shops. IMR batteries, mtn electronics, going gear, illumn supply to name a few. Try and avoid amazon and Ebay , also any cells ending in fire and over 3600mah(as don't exist). Sanyo, Samsung, Panasonic , Sony and LG are the good ones. Olight, Fenix, nitecore, keeppower add their wraps and PCB(protection circuit) on some . Make sure you use 3 of the same brand/age/rating from the same batch. Don't mix new/old cells or different mah and amp ratings. So 3 matching cells for this light. Congrats, very good light the sr52, can handle high without heat issues( a rarity these days)..

:welcome:

thank you. Would you recommend protected or unprotected cells? I'm assuming both will fit this light? I'm in the USA, would you mind linking me a couple options?

ven

Flashaholic
I will have a look and send a link via pm, for this light and being new to it, protected cells would make a good choice. Especially with the built in charging, if anything does fail you have a little more protection on your side. Still have a read up on the safety side, no need to spend days, just get an understanding on the what to do's and what not to do's.

PM on its way.

ven

Flashaholic
Oh i cant pm, its not cpf policy to post links.

Couple of options, 1st is at illumn, they have button top 3500mah cells, 3 of them required, will try and squeeze this on link in just to get an idea of the cell as well.
https://www.illumn.com/18650-keeppower-3500mah-sanyo-ncr18650ga-protected-button-top.html

Also check orbtronic out, 3500mah

If you dont want to spend that much, panasonic do 3400mah cells, KeepPower again do theirs with a PCB. These cells are kind of old now, so they would not be my 1st choice today.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Squished,

Welcome to CPF.

CPF member HKJ has done a lot of testing and reviews on various 18650 cells. You should take a look at his reviews and get an idea of what a decent cell performs like.

Your light appears to use the cells in parallel so you don't have to worry about getting cells out of balance. I assume it also charges in parallel which is reasonably safe.

In addition search the forum for ideas on how to use this chemistry safely and ask questions as they come up.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ven,

Squished should have enough posts to be off of probation and should be able to receive PM's now. Try again.

Tom

ven

Flashaholic
Good advice, yes HKJ has lots of info to check up and read about. Thanks Tom, it was more for some links for a few various shops USA side. If squished struggles any further, i will pm some links to check out:)