Why are single cell lights so rare in brick and mortar stores?

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Over the last few years I have transitioned away from any multi-cell lights. I have settled on single AA, CR123a or single 18650 as the ONLY lights I will buy/keep. Just for "fun" (as usually everything is terrible) I like to look at the lights available in regular stores. Recently I found a 1xAA Energizer hardcase light in a Meijer's store. Thread on that here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nergizer-Hardcase-1xAA-Right-Angle-flashlight

That was the ONLY single cell light in the entire store (and they probably had 20 different lights). I checked out a Lowes the other day and I couldn't even find ONE single cell light and they have quite a few there. I did find a few that externally LOOKED like they would be a 1xAA...but upon examination they had multiple oddball coin cell batts of some kind!

WHY????

Wouldn't it be EASIER and cheaper for these store brands to make a 1XAA or 1XCR123a light rather than all these multi-cell things?

terjee

Enlightened
Well, now, you have to realize that the power of a flashlight is measured by how many batteries that's needed to drive it! :p

On a more serious note, 1xAA gives you a usable range of perhaps 1-1.5V or so, and to do anything with that you'd need a step-up circuit, that in turn needs to be EMC-tested, and so on. With multiple cells, you can do simple current limiting, or even just throw a resistor in there and call it a day.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
IMO, those who buy flashlights at big box stores generally have not a clue about flashlights, much less about the cells that power them. The corporate buyer for the big box store in charge of those products is undoubtedly in the same boat.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, now, you have to realize that the power of a flashlight is measured by how many batteries that's needed to drive it! :p

Precisely. Lumens sell. Multi-cell lights produce more lumens. Single cell lights are smaller, but who wants to carry a flashlight in their pocket all day?:poke:

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
This is all my opinion and assumption, but I think it's because these stores sell them as tools to ordinary people. Hence, the products there are not geared toward EDC duty (where single cell products are ideal) or being powered by less common and more expensive batteries like CR123As. While these batteries aren't too rare in reality, I think most consumers want to power a general flashlight with a cheap and ubiquitous AA or AAA battery, not a more expensive and "exotic" lithium cell. To get these alkalines to output decent lumens, you need multiple of them. Hence, you see many flashlights that take at least two alkaline batteries.

As for button battery products, they are often treated like BIC mechanical pencils; technically refillable and reusable but most people trash them when they're out, if they don't get damaged or lost before then.

Also, many don't want to deal with rechargeable batteries and would rather power their flashlights with cheap alkaline batteries, replacing them when needed. I personally have all but totally purged my household of alkalines given they often leak and Eneloop LSDs have a good standby life.

terjee

Enlightened
There is no such thing as alkalines, there's only alkaleaks. (IOW I agree, and same here, except for well packaged giveaways).

On a more serious note about retail lights, one keyword is certainly margins. They want to buy cheap and sell overpriced, they want the supply to be plentiful without bidding up too much capital, and they want to be able to dump old inventory while still having a profit margin, and they'd much rather someone pitch to them, than do the work and figure out which products and brands would serve the customers. In a way that's all fair, but in another it's depressing and horrifying.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Well CR123a lights are showing up more and more now....they are all 2-4 cell though. I would think the non geek public would prefer a single cell as it's simpler and cheaper to feed.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that for the most part Tarjee is correct. It is very easy to design a light that takes multiple 1.5v cells, and doesn't need a driver circuit, and is very cheap to manufacture. Almost all the customers don't know the difference anyway, so there is little if any pressure to carry better lights. When I have checked at Walmart I usually noticed one or two Maglites, and maybe another light or two that might be halfway decent. But the only ones who are going to spend that extra money are ones that have been advised to others that that is the one to buy, or they have had bad experiences with the cheaper lights and are looking for something better. Face it, flashlight purchases at box stores are for the most part impulse buys, and a shopper is more likely to impulse buy a cheap light rather than one that is more expensive. And most of those lights are so cheap that the store can mark them up fifty to one hundred percent without worry.
I have to admit that when I was first learning about flashlights looking at the offerings at the box stores is where I determined that I would never buy a three cell AAA or AA light unless it stated clearly on the package that it was regulated.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
As many have stated, simply a fact of cost and margin. Most customers just want a light that turns on and is reasonable good. When they think flashlights, "features" is not what comes to mind .. nor is what they would consider the hassle of searching online.

For those "complaining" about markup in big box retailers, if you don't think the markup that any number of vendors that are regularly touted on CPF isn't huge, and I mean the ones that sell direct, then you are mistaken. A $50 flashlight, is going to cost in most cases <=$15 to make and if was made in truly high volumes, probably a lot less.

Labradford

Newly Enlightened
Runtimes. The typical civilian thinking is that the longer the flashlight runs, the better it is. So if a 1 cell light runs for one hour and a 2 cell light runs for 2 hours, the civilian will buy the 2 cell light most of the time.