What's the difference in the NW LED

brawler1588

Newly Enlightened
It was recommended to me to try out the emisar d4 and I am a NW fan but they have these 3 options in NW and I have no clue what it means XP-G2, 219C, XP-L*HI can anyone give me some info it would be greatly appreciated.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-G2, XP-L HI, and 219C are different models of LED. The XP-G2 is one of Cree's most popular LED's used in small flashlights, and the XP-L is one of their most popular used in medium lights. The 219C is made by Nichia, and best known for being available in a high color rendering index (CRI) version that helps make colors appear more natural.

If you're familiar with color temperature, I'd suggest using that as your basis for comparison.

Neutral often is used to mean a color temperature lower than that of sunlight (~5700K), although most often it means in the 4000-4500K range.

If you look at the details listed on the sales page, you'll see two options each for the XP-G2 and XP-L emitters are below neutral, as well as the Nichia version.

I would say if in doubt, the 4000K options will likely be most similar to other lights you may have used that are described as neutral. Between the 4000K options, the XP-G2 will run cooler, and the XP-L will have more output (also more expensive).

The 219C version has a slightly cooler tint, but has such a clean appearance due to the even beam and high CRI that as a neutral white fan myself, I still really like it.

ven

Flashaholic
Its hard to go wrong with any tbh, all have their little advantages. The 4000k to my eyes has a hint of warmth to it(compared to 5000k). Its very easy on the eyes at night for me. The 219c 5000k again to my eyes looks quite a clean pure white, cant really see any kind of "tint" to it. There is enough difference to easily justify both, more so only being $40 each. Which ever you pick, the max is going to be short lived(seconds not minutes). As iamlucky states, the 4000k is the same temp used by many as a neutral. The xp-g2 4000k malkoff uses for his neutral, also EDC plus for theirs , if you like/use to this, maybe this would suit. If colour rendition is super important, the 219c would be a good option. This does get hot the quickest, it has the lowest vf of all options iirc. xpl HI i am a big fan of, the 5000k is a nice colour temp/tint from my samples in various lights. The 4000k of the xpl HI(think only the D1 and D1s for now as an option)is very nice!

219c 5000k for day time uses and early evening, xp-g2 4000k for night time:D