Nextorch GL20 review (60 lm, 2x5mm Nichia+laser, Micro USB rechargeable)

viperxp

Enlightened
Hello,

This review will be dedicated to a new compact flashlight (designed to be attached to a key-chain) from Nextorch, the GL20.

kjrAwO82_o.jpg

So, what's interesting about this light?

1. It's compact, compact enough to be attached to a key-chain.
2. It contains two light sources - 2 Nichia leds and a laser.
3. It's rechargeable, with low battery warning.

Sound nice, but let's see it in action.

Lets begin

8H1ofet0_o.jpg

YPOxvoHr_o.jpg

The light comes in a very compact blister package.

ewUjw1hA_o.jpg

O51AQ3bv_o.jpg

HDpwDYjg_o.jpg

The light comes with user manual, a very nice attachment clip and ... that's it.

TLa3aSuT_o.jpg

zTyvLO3w_o.jpg

The light looks and feels almost identical to a modern car keys. Please note that the shiny part is actually metal, not plastic.

nKl3kyCP_o.jpg

5ZnfnD26_o.jpg

eqglkMDK_o.jpg

NsrbdySP_o.jpg

Controlling the light is actually very easy.
A single click turns the light on minimum brightness mode. Another click switches the light to a maximum mode, another click enables the strobe mode (very slow mode, like the one that bicycle riders often use) and additional press turns the light off.
If you enable some mode, and the light was enabled in that mode for a period of time (several seconds are enough) then a button press will turn the flashlight off, that's pretty nice - meaning that you won't have the need to cycle through all modes in order to turn the flashlight on.
A bit stronger press on the button enables laser mode, which will stay on as long as you are pressing the button. As you can see from the pictures, you can also turn the led's and laser together.

Regarding the led's. When I hear "Nichia" instantly high cri lights come to my mind. Well, this light changed it. The led's used are definitely non high-cri type, and emit pretty cool light with a small blue tint.

0flklCel_o.jpg

eJGPJnU5_o.jpg

LYQvWdkW_o.jpg

Comparison with some other objects. The moment my wife and son saw the light, both told me that the light belongs to them, so that's actually a good sign.

hgKuReJh_o.jpg

Jipg8yoP_o.jpg

vwySOBHZ_o.jpg

y9N1oUU3_o.jpg

The light is rechargeable, using a standard micro usb cable.

UbS6loOk_o.jpg

fHmgonkM_o.jpg

LEgXvNnB_o.jpg

qnzjkBvS_o.jpg

Well, the light performs well. It is definitely not a thrower, but with 2 5mm leds that is not surprising.

x8Y78RfE_o.jpg

TM32cuxR_o.jpg

The laser actually has a nice reach, much more than I would expect from 0.9mW model. It can reach hundreds of meters, 14 stories home is not a problem at all for the light.

Conclusion, final words

I really liked the light. All it does it does well, I guess the success will be dedicated by the light's price.