LED question

carnage

Enlightened
If you have to pick one out of the two LED the XPL-V6 or XPL-HI, which one would it be and why? The flashlight I was looking at only comes in these two options.

ven

Flashaholic
Which flashlight? it may have an impact on the decision. If its throw bias, then the xpl HI for example. For me overall, the HI version. I like the beam it can produce, the advantage in throw it gives. Also "tint" consistency throughout the beam compared to de-domed emitters. The HI also work very well behind optics.

If a floody or larger hot spot is required, maybe brighter spill and higher total lumens, the xpl may be preferred, other than that HI for me.

carnage

Enlightened
Which flashlight? it may have an impact on the decision. If its throw bias, then the xpl HI for example. For me overall, the HI version. I like the beam it can produce, the advantage in throw it gives. Also "tint" consistency throughout the beam compared to de-domed emitters. The HI also work very well behind optics.

If a floody or larger hot spot is required, maybe brighter spill and higher total lumens, the xpl may be preferred, other than that HI for me.

Thanks for the reply!

The flashlight is the Thrunite TN4A.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the reply!

The flashlight is the Thrunite TN4A.

There is quite a difference between in throw, the V6 around 26kcd, the HI around 52kcd. So according to the data, thats 326m V 457m respectively .

All be it subjective, my choice would be the NW xpl HI in this light. I prefer the colour rendition and would take the extra throw, as in use 0.25lux is as good as useless at 457m. I roughly 1/3 the metres to get an idea of how much "useful" throw a light has. So for the HI version, around 150m of useful throw, where you could make things out easily(or a lot easier). The V6 option would be around 100m of useful light, so roughly an extra 50m of useful light from the HI version(my simple way of working it out, not scientific by any means). Maybe account for up to or around 10% loss from the CW version to the NW . However , colours should be easier on the eye and imho the 10% is neither here or there(subjective as always).

ven

Flashaholic
Just too add, there is around 100lm difference with the V6 being brighter. This is not much if anything around 1000lm, however as the HI version is more intense, the slightly less rated HI will be more intense in the hot spot. Spill may be a tad less bright, again hard to tell.

ven

Flashaholic
Bummer! What are the reasons behind the choice for a 4xAA light, are you flexible? For example, a single 18650 light pretty much is the equivalent in output/run time(rough).

Sticking with AA, check out the xhp35 manker mk41, the Fenix FD45

Other than that, maybe try contacting Thrunite directly and see if they can advise on any stock USA side.

The NW xpl HI must be the most popular being sold out, for good reason! We are not spoilt for choice in 4xAA lights.................

Totally different here and an off the wall suggestion(presuming you dont mind 18650 fuel). Check out some of zebralights offerings, the xhp35/xhp35 HI around 4500k would be worth a look. Not the throw of the tn4a HI, but super crazy compact, very efficient and clever UI......................just a thought.

carnage

Enlightened
I feel safer with NiMH AA until I learn more about Lithium Ion.

The other light I was looking at was the Eagletac SX30A4.