A better (floody) snake light?

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
The last couple of years we've encountered snakes (copperheads) in our backyard. Previously, they were only a problem walking on the streets and sidewalks of our neighborhood. If on the street, any floody flashlight (or even a not so floody one) is more than adequate to avoid getting too close to a copperhead while out walking. However, I was alerted to a copperhead on our back porch by one of our dogs (who has been bitten by them in the past and is therefore an excellent snake dog who never fails to raise the alarm if she encounters a copperhead). Unfortunately, even with my Fenix LD-41 I could not see the darn thing. Copperhead camouflage is perfect for hiding among dry leaves; I stared right at it for almost a full minute before I could finally see that there was a snake under those leaves. So. This seems like the perfect excuse to go flashlight shopping again. I would like to find a floody (because I don't care about snakes that are 100 feet away from me) hi CRI flashlight that will show reds and browns better than my LD-41. I have a few other 1AA zebralights, but they are not quite bright enough (I think 400 lumens or so would be best) or their CRI is not so hot. I may try an SC5Fd or SC5c mk ii, I might even get brave and venture into 18650 land with one of their hi CRI SC600 family lights. I am also looking for other options, though,

I find very few reviews that give me a useful comparison of floody lights. I'd like a beamshot taken towards the ground but no more than 10 or 20 feet away. Do any of you have particular favorites for walking in the woods, for example? I've considered the eagletacs with nichia 219b or c leds, but I think all of their lights are throwers. So any suggestions or recommendations for my particular flashlight use niche?

Thanks.

Connor

Enlightened
Sounds like the perfect job for a Zebralight "SC600Fd Mk IV Plus High CRI".
Flood monster, high CRI, available in about 2 weeks in 4000K and 5000K colour temperature.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have some experience with night pit vipers. You want a light with enough spill to cover a wide trail. Throw is ok but really isn't as important given their breakup camouflage makes near encounters more likely at night even if the beam hits them. A mix of flood and throw is good. Basically what works during normal hiking in a forest.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding Zebralight, wouldn't the "c" version at 4000K give more feedback for reds and browns than the "d" at 5000K?

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the replies. Yes, I've been thinking the 4000K "c" versions might make more sense even though I don't normally like yellow-ish lights (though better than green tint). I'm also considering the Mk IV SC600 lights. I'm looking forward to the first reviews and beamshots (especially if it captures a snake hiding under leaves...but that might be asking a bit much!).

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
What about the Malkoff Wildcat? It is one of the few I don't have because for my job I need a light with more throw. Someday, I will pick one up though. I do use a 4000K Hound Dog outside though, and I like it.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I thought this was about the BD snakelight too. My father in law has one of those. It's one of three lights he owns and he thinks it's the "bees-knees".

As for the copper head snakes. I recommend some natural predators. I fear them more than I did the rattlers. Because you didn't know they were there till you almost got bit. A big floody light....

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
I was not aware of the malkoffs, thanks.

As for rattlesnakes, they definitely scare me more than copperheads. Copperheads are much more likely to bite without warning if you get within reach, but I think people almost never die from copperhead bites since the venom is weaker. One of my co-workers was bitten is his backyard a couple of years ago and a little girl in the neighborhood was bitten last year. Several dogs around here (including two of my own) have been bitten recently. If you step within reach of an unseen copperhead (and they are REALLY hard to see sometimes) they will strike.

Last edited: