Simple is better! Critical need for single mode, AA powered, light for walking

J.J.H.

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks!

I currently carry a Sunwayman V11R most of the time. I love that little light! However, I have some developing needs, so I think it is time to get something more suited to a particular use-case.

Heres the deal: I have an injured cerebellum, and this makes navigating in the dark somewhere between difficult and impossible! So any time I am out at night, unless I am on a well-lit level street, I am using a flashlight. As you can imagine, my light is a truly critical part of any evening out of the house. While my current EDC is a great little light, I would like to have something for walking around with that is 1) bright 2) wide-beamed, 3) runs on one, or possibly 2, AA batteries, and 4) has NO modes! Just on and off!

Maybe this kind of simplicity doesn't exist, but if you have recommendations, let me have em! I am willing to spend a bit, so budget isn't a primary consideration, but I would love to not go flat broke buying a little light, so be reasonable.

I have filled out the checklist below to be as specific as possible, but I have mentioned the really crucial stuff.

Thanks so much!

-JJH

(EDIT: I know my hope and dreams re: batteries and output are a stretch. I want alkaline because I can buy them everywhere and I have to be able to make this thing run in a pinch by stopping into a gas station. So maybe 2 AAs is more likely!)

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
____This will be mail-order or Online (location mostly doesn't matter, but I am in Canada...).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:
]____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____I don't care.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
____Recessed tail switch, but this is not crucial

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend a Malkoff M31 module with the VME head and the MDC 2x AA body.

This would tick all of your boxes nicely, I think. Single output. ON/OFF only. Common alkaline compatible. The cool white version will give you about 280 lumens. A warm white version is also available, if you prefer. It's more or less indestructible.

If you decide later that you want other battery options, you can use the same emitter/head combination with the 1 x AA body or the 1 x CR123 body

Oh, and the tail cap is recessed.

Last edited:

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight's Protac 1L-1AA can easily be set to high only. It works fine on AA, really well on Eneloop's, great on L91's and can take CR123's without an adaptor. It's on sale now a Primary Arms for about $30.00. It's my EDC.

J.J.H.

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff is a great recommendation. I think I will go with exactly this setup, but I sent off an email to Gene anyways to ask for his input before I place an order.

Thanks! -JJH

Keitho

Enlightened
Here is an off the wall idea...the Zebralight SC 53c. If you are able to do multiple clicks one time to set up the programmable modes when you first get it, you can set all of the modes to the same output. So, you'll have a single mode light, one click on, one click off, at the exact level you need for your desired runtime and power. Zebralight drivers are arguably the most efficient made, especially if you don't use the very highest level. They'll work with alkaline in a pinch, but eneloops will perform a lot better.

I'll throw in two options you didn't request. First, would a headlamp make walking easier (hands free)? I use my headlamps either around my head or neck with floody versions to good effect. Second, you might consider 18650 if you're concerned about runtime. At similar brightness levels, they are at least 2.5x the runtime (the equivalent of carrying almost 3 AA, all the time).

Best of luck with your rehab--you've got a large community here willing to support you!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coast HX5 with adjustable focus. Very easy to use, will tail stand and has momentary activation.

The adjustable focus is very handy to change from distance to close up lighting.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Just to throw in some names here (blatant copy from my own lights list) that I bought myself for this very purpose:

Streamlight 88853 Poly-Tac, 130 Lumen, 2x CR123 / 1x 16650 (old version - new version got ~275 Lumen or so)
Coast PX25, 208 Lumen, 3x AAA
Fenix E21, 154 Lumen, 2x AA