Best charger to give away?

terjee

Enlightened
Hi guys!

Christmas isn't that far away, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one considering giving away a light or two?

I'm thinking it could be interesting to take a different look at chargers, and ask which ones would be best to give away?

This is potentially quite different from the usual "which charger to get?"-threads. I haven't seen such a thread in a while, and a lot of new chargers have popped up in the last few years.

My own take on requirements would be something along the lines of:
- Reasonable defaults, does the right thing no matter if you pop in an 18650 or a AAA Eneloop.
- Supports both NiMH and LiIon, at least AA, AAA and 18650. Even if they don't have any 18650s, you might get them one next year.
- Safe, nobody wants to give away a fire hazard (more than the inherent risk there'll always be at least)
- Reliable, nobody wants to give away something that'll only last 6 months.

I'm also thinking it's more important that it does not wear cells more rapidly than needed, and that's probably more important than cramming every last bit of energy in there.

Typical users for this would probably have fewer cells and charge less frequently than we do, so slower rates is probably fine. Perhaps 1A or even lower for 18650s by default?

I'd say both budget and midrange products are worth suggesting.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xtar VC4, maybe? You get the ability to charge both NiMH and Li-Ion, with the ability to charge two cells at 1A or .5A, or four at .5A. You get the ability to charge larger cells (like D or 32650) as well. And since it runs off USB, you can use your phone charger that you probably already have at home, in the office, or in your car. You can also use other USB power sources like solar panels.

If a smaller charger with similar features is desired, the VC2 Plus Master would be good. It has all the features of the VC4, but only charges two cells at a time. Also, it can only charge cells as large as C or 26650. And unlike the VC4, it can function as a powerbank. The VC2 Plus Master would be ideal for travel.

If USB charging is not needed, the SV2 Rocket would be a good choice. Not only can it handle large cells (up to D or 32650). It can also charge at up to 2A or down to .25A. But it can only charge two cells.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight UC , universal, magnetic charger.
It's 10$ and extremely compact, for a non flashaholic it's going to be easy for them to put with a spare phone charger or next to a laptop, or take with them on a trip.
It's probably not the best charger for AAA Eneloops Or for 18650 (or bigger), but it does both and everything in between, detects polarity, and won't short if the magnetic leads stick together.

All of the points above might be more applicable to younger people who don't have castles, or don't spend much time in them.
Someone with everything in its place and a place for everything might instead wish for a nice quality charger with rubber feet and enough weight to not feel cheap.

I think convenience is really important for getting people hooked into the tech.

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I've planned on giving away a few lights/chargers myself.

This is depending on budget and amount obviously, but I've settled on:
-Nitecore i2
-Nitecore i4
There is the argument about "only 0.375 A charging", but come on - it's a gift.
And gifting chargers like the Fenix ARE-C2+ and Nitecore SC4 is a little over what I care to spend on gifts. So those are for me. ;)

-Nitecore Tube (45 Lumen) for friends
-Nitecore Tip (360 Lumen) for really good friends and family
Both types comes with a built-in battery, and supports USB-charging (5 pin Micro-USB Type B).

So far, the list is:
Nitecore Tip, Silver
Nitecore Tip, Gold
Nitecore Tip, Green
Nitecore Tip, Blue - to my mom
Nitecore Tip, Red
Nitecore Tip SS, Tropical (this one's for me)
Nitecore Tube, Blue
Nitecore Tube, Pink
Hey! HEY! No snickering at the back! It WILL be a gift for someone, okay...
Nitecore Tube, Lemon (hard shell)
2x Nitecore Tube, Azure (hard shell)
2x Nitecore Tube, Orange (hard shell)
Nitecore Tube, Green (hard shell)

Nitecore i2

We'll see what I will eventually be giving away. Am still in the box on the what and the who.

Last edited: