Malkoff Devices--User Programmable Flashlight

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a chat with Gene this afternoon regarding the project to create a new "user programmable" device. Since he was gracious enough to give me permission to share, I thought I'd update the group.

He indicated that this has been a challenging, expensive project spanning about six months and that he's not ready to forecast a release date. It will likely be online programmable, possibly via an app, possibly with a USB interface. It will allow for six total output levels, plus two strobes of different frequencies. ( I think I have that part right). The user can choose any sequence of output levels, or only one, if desired. This is in response to repeated requests for lights with various output levels, mode sequences, etc. One ring to rule them all, so to speak.

It will be a smaller device with a single button interface and support for 1 x 18650, 1 x 16650, and 2 x CR123. It will not have a rotary device or selector ring. I don't think he currently envisions programming larger lights this way, but he also indicated that once the programming has been created, it will be relatively easy to transplant it into other models.

I have the impression that he's eager for feedback, and that if there is not sufficient interest, he might not complete the project. Please let your thoughts be known!

Edit: I've changed the title of this thread to reflect the update to the design.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds cool as long as they retain the super reliability that his lights have been known for. I'd like to see a AA version but realize I'm very much in the minority on that one.

pomah

Newly Enlightened
For programming to work properly you need to be able to select 1 out of two output levels if the light is on or off. Meaning one output mode or sequence with head tight, and another output mode or sequence with the head lose. could be tail or a ring. otherwise not much use for the programming in my world.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Sounds good but why so complicated with programming. Why not something like the h17f. Would love to see this driver in a malkoff. This would give all the programming of light levels.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, with so many excellent new programmable drivers now available, I'm not sure of the current need to try to reinvent this ... :thinking:

EDIT ... oh, and, @Modernflame did you happen to ask if it had that-which-must-not-be-named ?

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever since the MDC line was introduced I've off and on considered it but always held off due to dislike of the mode spacing. If I could by an MDC with programmable driver and li-ion support I totally would.

I agree with Cobraman and Archimedes though, Dr Jones' lucidrv or Toykeeper's bistro firmware would be perfect.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Yes, with so many excellent new programmable drivers now available, I'm not sure of the current need to try to reinvent this ... :thinking:

EDIT ... oh, and, @Modernflame did you happen to ask if it had that-which-must-not-be-named ?

LOL!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did not ask about that-which-must-not-be-named, nor about max output because those are not significant for my personal use (YMMV). I also did not ask about price because I figured I'd get one if it's south of $200.

Also failed to bring up beam tint, mostly because he seems to have standardized 6200K and 4000K. Figured this new offering would be in line with that.

Apologies for leaving so many questions unanswered.

Edit: One thing I can say for sure is that this is a ground-up creation of new programming.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Here is the bottom line that I would be looking for.

1. No aka the unnameable feature for me. LOL!

2. Must be potted just like the rest of Gene's stuff.

3. I am ok with the Hi/Lo ring for the M31/M61s and running single mode in terms of runtimes etc but for muti mode maybe an update in terms of efficiency.

4. Offer NW and Warm.

5. I buy Malkoff for durability and reliability not wiz bang. So must be on par with other Malkoff products.

6. I like the wider voltage range of the M61s but if that's a no go it's ok.

7. Work with lithium ion.

That's about it.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I can only imagine how many times he has been asked for a lower low a different level medium a higher high. LOL
This sure will help him with all that and I'm sure they will be tough as nails! Hell,I'm in.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
He told me about the programmable lights when I ask him if he could make me a version of the XPL MDC that either started out in High....or had only HIGH.

I dunno how I feel about any of this anymore. I'm so disillusioned with my search for a "better" EDC than my "old" MD2/M61, with triad with clip (OR).....I thought a single mode MDC 123 would be "it" but now I find it to be too short/slippery to use in my habitual "tactical grip" where my thumb activates the tail switch. it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo uncomfortable compared to my old setup.

Sorry...guys I'm rambling

Last edited:

Gene43

Enlightened
I can only imagine how many times he has been asked for a lower low a different level medium a higher high. LOL
This sure will help him with all that and I'm sure they will be tough as nails! Hell,I'm in.

This is the exact thinking/motive behind is project. I still want to keep it stupid simple, but have it where the user can customize it according to his particular needs.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is awesome! Programmable would be perfect, I find that with the modes set by the manufacture, I have to compromise or carry a couple of lights.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this option will upset some purists but I truly think it will be a good way to get more Malkoff lights in the hands of new users.

In this day and age, most lights have a variety of modes. People basically expect that now. Not everybody, but enough.

There was a time when 8 way power adjustable seats would have been scoffed at in a car, but I like that I can customize the seat to my liking...

I want to be very careful in answering this one! At first blush I would say I don't have much interest in a programmable light. It seems there tons of them on the market already. On the other hand there are only one or two that are programmable yet in the same league of durability as Malkoff. I can think of just one off the top of my head, and that's HDS. I realize that if I don't want an item I can simply ignore the thread and not post but it seems like an honest count of yays and nays will be more useful to Gene.

On the other hand, we don't always know what we want, especially if it doesn't exist. Henry Ford supposedly said that if he asked customers what they wanted they'd have said a better horse drawn carriage! That's because there was no generally held paradigm for a horseless carriage. Apple has reached a point where they create demand instead of responding to it. If Malkoff came out with a truly game changing product I would certainly buy it. My overwhelming preference is for single mode lights and/or lights that have two output levels that switch via a twisting bezel or tailcap. My reasoning is that it's often so frustrating to find the mode I want on multi-mode lights that I'd rather give up some potentially useful features in exchange for reliability and simplicity. But if I could have both it would worth a purchase.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if all you want is single mode I still think programming would be nice.

Should I buy an M61, M61L, or M61LL? It wouldn't matter if you could just reprogram it later.

bigfoot

Enlightened
In the same boat as earlier posters -- hopefully this light is a combination of Malkoff's reliability, durability and simplicity -- but paired up with some programmable options. :thumbsup:

No need to go overboard on the programmability, especially if the clicky switch is going to be the only interface. KISS.

Heck, it would be nice to just have two single output modes you could switch/toggle between. Perhaps a really long press when the light was already on (say, 10-15 seconds) would swap over to the other single mode.

Last edited: