Zebralight alphabet soup decoding

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've disregarded Zebralight headlamps in the past because I'm not a fan of the UI, and it's seemingly abundant options.

I'm ONLY starting to warm up to them because they will be offering the XHP50 LED in 4000K and 93-95 CRI.

Could the ZL veterans walk me through the alphabet soup they use to make up a model number? I have been unable to locate a decoder ring.

I see things like:
H600, H602, H603, H604, - what's the difference?

w, c, f, flood, floody, etc.

"w" for many manufacturers would mean warm. I take it ZL uses that as "white". :shakehead

It's making my head spin.:hairpull:

Thanks!

markr6

Flashaholic
No suffix (SC63, H52, etc) = cool white

Suffix = tint and beam type. Neutral 4500K (w), 5000K (d), 4000K (c), floody beam (f). The "w" neutral will vary depending on history, but it's 4500K these days.

H502, H604 = pure flood beam, more than the f models. A "mule".

So comparing the new headlamps which cover all the bases:

H600 Mk IV - cool white, normal beam
H600w Mk IV - neutral white, normal beam
H600F Mk IV - cool white, (frosted) floody beam
H600Fw Mk IV - neutral white, (frosted) floody beam
H600Fc Mk IV - High CRI 4000K, (frosted) floody beam
H600Fd Mk IV - High CRI 5000K, (frosted) floody beam

H604 series...same but with flood beam

Keitho

Enlightened
That's a good summary, markr6. There is a more complete listing of all the models linked on the Zebralight page. On the left side, there is a "compare all models" button that links to a Google doc. For all discontinued and currently-made lights, it has performance data, battery type, and some notes.

ZL heard your feedback on the UI, mckeand13 (you weren't the only one). On that Google doc, any of the lights that say "multiple UI groups" in the far right column have the "new" UI. The new UI defaults to the same UI that they've been using for several years; but, it adds the ability to switch to two different programmable mode groups. So, you can change the mode order, change the mode spacing, or even set every single mode to the same level (giving yourself a custom-power "one mode" light). Switching between mode groups is quick. So, for me, I like the default ZL UI for my general use; but, when I lend it out, I click 6 times from off to switch to my "lend it out" mode group, and know that it is now the simplest/safest flashlight for any child or drunk friend to use (I have it set to one mode, not the brightest; so, 1 click turns it on, 1 click turns it off, and just about any other combination of clicks and presses won't do anything). When I get it back, 5 clicks brings it back to the default UI.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help in decoding, and good call on the "compare all models". That is helpful.

I was originally looking for an 18650 model, but I was surprised to see that they don't have any CR123 models in HCRI like they do in 18650. I wonder why? I was planning on leaving this headlamp in the truck as I seem to need one more often. Even though the runtime would be less, a CR123 would tend to deal with the temperature extremes better than an 18650.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the help in decoding, and good call on the "compare all models". That is helpful.

I was originally looking for an 18650 model, but I was surprised to see that they don't have any CR123 models in HCRI like they do in 18650. I wonder why? I was planning on leaving this headlamp in the truck as I seem to need one more often. Even though the runtime would be less, a CR123 would tend to deal with the temperature extremes better than an 18650.

Yeah I'm not sure why they ditched the CR123. I always disliked those cells, but in a car it only makes sense. I left an 18650 in my car for 1 year...totally destroyed the thing. I mean it still works and only lost about 0.1volts that whole time unused, but the internal resistance shot way up. Not a very useable cell anymore.

Keitho

Enlightened
I was originally looking for an 18650 model, but I was surprised to see that they don't have any CR123 models in HCRI like they do in 18650. I wonder why?
I've wondered, too. Seems like they're phasing out the CR123 models in favor of Eneloop AA's and 18650.

I was planning on leaving this headlamp in the truck as I seem to need one more often. Even though the runtime would be less, a CR123 would tend to deal with the temperature extremes better than an 18650.

There are some interesting nuances to cell choice here. Keep in mind that the temperature ratings are meant to give guidelines on the temps at which the cells will perform the best (have the longest life, give back the most Wh). But, even if an 18650 degrades when sitting in my car a bit faster, it doesn't bother me too much. I replace cells about every 2-3 years anyway due to other safety concerns. Even a degraded 18650 performs way better than a fresh, properly-stored CR123. Just my $.02 for my uses and habits...

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
ok markc, so been away for a bit. I have both the H600FcIII high CRI and H600FcIIId high CRI headlamps. So am I right here that the Mark IV models have double the output, 800lumens to 1600 lumens? What about runtimes? I am looking at either getting the H600 IV or H604 don't know enough about the difference yet. thanks.

MX421

Enlightened
I am looking ateither getting the H600 IV or H604 don't know enough about the difference yet.thanks.
I'll try to put what Markr6 posted above differently as it appears unclear topeople unfamiliar with Zebralights still (ya poor souls ;-) glad I'm not one ofthem anymore)

First, a similar discussion on the various models is here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428970-Help-me-pick-a-Zebralight-headlamp-(or-other)

I think that thread focuses on the AAheadlights. I'll focus on the 18650 headlamps.

H600 Mark # is a traditional beam shape hotspot plus spill

H600F Mark # floody neutral light- has a hotspot but that is blended intothe spill very well.

H60# is a flood light with no reflector (ie mule) with no hotspot.Actually it has a glow in the dark reflector shaped cone instead of a standard mirrorreflection surface.

# - stands forversion/model number

With no other letters, the light model is typically their coolest (andbrightest) version. On top of that general nomenclature, there are optionswithin the model. There options within the models are:
f - This is the only model that has a frosted lens intended to even outthe hotspot of the reflector below it
w - Warm tint. A typical tint of the normal models is now around 5700k(down from the 6300k on some older models)

c - thisis one of the two hi CRI models with a tint at 4000k
d - this is the other hi CRI model with tints at 5000k

Most of the nomenclature above also applies for the 'regular' light as wellBTW. In those cases replace the 'H' with a SC. The Zebralight flagshipmodels have some other nomenclature like 'Plus' and 'Hi', but that is beyondthe scope of this post :)

Yeah, I lovethese little lights, especially the headlamps.

As for the 1600 lumen count, its obvious that the numbers have not been finalized and do not iclude runtimes last i checked (and i've been checking consistently)

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this idea. Curious as to what output you have it set to for "lend it out" mode lol
That's a good summary, markr6. There is a more complete listing of all the models linked on the Zebralight page. On the left side, there is a "compare all models" button that links to a Google doc. For all discontinued and currently-made lights, it has performance data, battery type, and some notes.

ZL heard your feedback on the UI, mckeand13 (you weren't the only one). On that Google doc, any of the lights that say "multiple UI groups" in the far right column have the "new" UI. The new UI defaults to the same UI that they've been using for several years; but, it adds the ability to switch to two different programmable mode groups. So, you can change the mode order, change the mode spacing, or even set every single mode to the same level (giving yourself a custom-power "one mode" light). Switching between mode groups is quick. So, for me, I like the default ZL UI for my general use; but, when I lend it out, I click 6 times from off to switch to my "lend it out" mode group, and know that it is now the simplest/safest flashlight for any child or drunk friend to use (I have it set to one mode, not the brightest; so, 1 click turns it on, 1 click turns it off, and just about any other combination of clicks and presses won't do anything). When I get it back, 5 clicks brings it back to the default UI.