...EDC usage with one 26650 battery requirement...

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
This will be mail-order or Online (EU > China > Rest of the world).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $50.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
(TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches))
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches)
(MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches))

I want to EDC it. Would be nice if it fit into a Jeans-pocket, Jacket-pocket will do if neccesary.

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

I very much do like the XHP35 but anything that fills the other boxes might work for me.
High CRI would be a huge plus.
Color temperature should ideally be around 4500K to 5000K.

6) Manufacturer:
As long as I do not need any uncommon/complicated tools and/or knowledge about electronics I am fair game.

7) What power source do you want to use?
26650 LiIon

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I want have several stand-alone chargers and want to keep using them.
I would prefer no USB charging option but I could live with it if it can be sealed properly.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
I guess the table is not that up to date w/ 800+ as the max option.
I think 1300+ lm would be nice.
If there are good reasons I could settle for less, but what sense does that make when I already have several 18650 lights up to 1800 lm?

SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) -> OK!

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
I'd say universal for EDC. So maybe somewhere between Narrow Flood and Wide Throw.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
100m should be sofficient, 200m for bonus points.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
Around 60 minutes in highest sustainable setting, 5-10 minutes in turbo

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
Preference #1: Magnetic Control Ring
Preference #2: 2 side switches
Preference #3: 1 side switch

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
Preference #1: I want a selector ring.
Preference #2: I want multiple light levels. (5-6 should be ideal)

I do NOT want blinky stuff. If the light has some it should be VERY well hidden.
I do want one mode below 10lm if possible.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Anodized Aluminum – type II or III (Hard Anodized)
Stainless steel
Titanium
Copper

15) Water and Dust/Debris resistance
IPX68 preferred, at least IPX45.

16) Storage conditions
In house, in jeans or in jacket ;)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
Pocket/belt clip
Tailstand capability

Many thanks!

Keitho

Enlightened
The Lumintop SD26vn checks all the boxes except your budget. Vinh swaps the LED (one of 2 choices), and gives you a driver with 16 different mode groups. He seals the USB charging port too. The unmodded sd26 is cheaper, and has half the power and half the throw, and a more pedestrian UI. I don't have either, but the vn would be top of my list if I were going for a 26650. Best of luck!

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
The Lumintop SD26vn checks all the boxes except your budget.
Unfortunately it does not: No clip ;)
I have looked at the SD26 and Vinh's version before, they are close but not spot on, I hope maybe someone finds somthing more fitting :D

Keitho

Enlightened
Oooo, good one, sorry I missed that. Should be interesting, a clip for a 26650 light is gonna need to be burly. I can't wait to see what's out there...

PaladinNO

Enlightened
It does cost more than double the listed budget, but it ticks all the other boxes: Acebeam EC50 Gen. II
1x 26650 (5000 mAh battery included), 3000 Lumen (turbo), 1 Lumen Firefly mode, 5000 Kelvin, portable, floody, can tailstand, comes with holster - I got one myself, and am right pleased! :)
Does have a USB-charging port though, and I do share your potential concerns on that one.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...26650-Micro-USB-charging)-Rechargeable-Review

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks @PaladinNO!
I have that one on "The List", just do not have the money atm, that is why I asked about "budget" alternatives :D

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I understand what you mean, B0rt, I too have been looking for some cheaper 26650 lights, just so I have something to put my second 26650 battery in.
But everywhere I looked, the actual usability vs cost didn't mix at all. Best I found was generic zoomies on Ebay, and I didn't want that at all.

EDIT:
Here may actually be one: JETBeam T4 PRO
There seem to be a flash sale on that one on Gearbest right now.

Another one could be Klarus G20. Both are above the 50 USD mark, but at least they do seem decent.

EDIT 2:
A last suggestion: Convoy BD06.

Last edited: