Battery operated Mini LED repair?

CrzyCatLady

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
3 or 4 years ago I purchased a set of fantastic decorative glass Christmas trees at Sams, inside they have battery operated LED lights, that can be controlled with a remote. Nothing fancy, just on or off. I love these things, they are my favorite Christmas decoration.

The problem is, this year 2 of them don't work. I'm heartbroken! The base of one of the non functioning ones was loose, so I popped it off to have a look. It has 3 mini LED lights, not the micro ones that are in fairy lights. The fixture is powered with 3 AA batteries.

The motherboard and all the wiring appear ok with a visual inspection. But from here I have no idea what process I should go through to check and hopefully repair these. I haven't had any luck finding a troubleshooting guide or youtube video on this type of light. I also don't know if it is possible to buy a new control board, or where I would find a supplier.

I am new here, so if it would be helpful to post a picture of the control box I would be happy to do so, assuming that I can in this forum. Any help or advice or tutorial links would be greatly appreciated!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i guess the 1st step is to ask how extensive is your Knowledge of electronic troubleshooting is?
Pictures may help but you will need a hosting service like photobucket or the like.
I assume you haven't seen any evidence of battery leakage on the terminals, if not, make sure they are clean.
No broken wires? Battery in the remote is good?

CrzyCatLady

Newly Enlightened
My electronics experience is minimal, although I love learning new skills.
I always remove the batteries before storing the after Christmas. The batteries I put in them are brand new. The battery terminals all look clean and shiny. There is no evidence of past battery leakage. The wires connected between battery terminal and switch, and between switch and motherboard both look fine, the solder is intact, and there doesn't appear to be any corrosion. The white plastic coating it a bit yellowed at the ends. The 2 wires leaving the motherboard going to the 3 LED's also appear in good shape. All the wires attached to the motherboard have hot glue on the connection, so I can't tell if the exact connection point is ok.
While these do have a remote, they also have a regular on/off switch, so if I switch it on manually the lights normally come on, and then I can control them with the remote. The 2 trees that have stopped working can not be turned on with the remote, and they do not come on when switched on manually. The remote is currently operating the other 2 trees as it always has.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if i were in your situation, i would then start tracing out the circuit out with a VOM. check continuity in the LEDs, check for +V at the output and start working from the battery on thru till i found the fault.