Headlamp for a Bug-Out Bag

arKmm

Enlightened
Headlamps are something that I don't much about, in that I only have the one and it's from 1995!

I have devices for most needs, but I'm now putting together a bug-out / emergency bag in case of natural disaster or similiar. In it, there'll be two torches; this headlamp, and a handheld torch.

As such, I'm looking for suggestions for a headlamp (as the handheld I will be able to sort)

$50-75.
Floodier beam (as the handheld device will be used for anything at range, so the headlamp only needs to do nearby stuff).
Ability to do a very low output beam, with a good UI.
Presumably CR123 to enable long-standby time but the ability to dual-fuel on 18650 also would be good.

EDIT: Came across the Zebralight H32Fw which seems like it might do the job?

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I often pack an Armytek Wizard headlamp and Viking (or Predator) flashlight. They're also within your price range and can handle a wide range of 18650 and can do 2XCR123. My preference for a bug out or ER light is to run (or be able to run) on a single battery. Also the headlamp and flashlight should be playing on the same team aka same battery type.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Along those lines I like triple a headlamps. A bunch of batteries take up hardly any room, and can power other lights in a pinch.

In 2016 I used a Coast HL6 strapped to my hard hat to light my laptop a couple of hours a night all summer on 1 set of 3 triple a batteries. It has a slider for infinite dimming down to about 10 lumens and a zoomie head for spot or spill. Zoomed to spot those 10 lumens sufficed to light my path until a hand held was more practical. On spill it lit my keyboard and documents very well.

I put my truck in the shop for a few days in the fall and somebody swiped my Coast. I tried a Streamlight double clutch this summer for the rechargeable cell and triple a ability, but I liked the Coast better.
I only went through 2 sets of 3 triple a's, but missed the infinite ability where the double clutch is like 60 or 150 lumens and full spot or full flood. 10 was plenty for my needs and I preferred the zoom ability.

Last edited:

terjee

Enlightened
I've recently been looking for the exact same thing, apparently for the same reason (bug out bag).

I'd almost settled on the H32Fw or H32w myself, but I ended up changing my mind. I'm either going with the 18650 or AA version instead. Actually, most likely both.

For AA, I'd get a much wider range in fuel: AA L91 lithium primaries outperform CR123A as standby stock, and I can also fuel it with Eneloops giving a long term storable yet rechargeable option, and I'm much more likely to come across AAs than CR123As.

For 18650, I have a lot of cells available, and they keep their charge surprisingly well. It allows me to keep going with my primary battery platform, and I can recharge whenever possible etc.

Bottom line for me at least, is that no matter if you consider the rechargeable route, advantages of using more common types etc, or look only at the contents of your BOB in isolation, L91 lithium primaries still seem to beat the CR123A route, with comparable or slightly more watt hours, and longer shelf life (25 years vs. 10 for CR123A).

That makes it slightly better for one set of criteria, and significantly better in some others. In my opinion anyway.

terjee

Enlightened
Quick addition on specific models:
For AA, there's H53Fw that's comparable to the H32Fw, but the H53Fw is a newer model, different LED, and higher CRI. So despite the similarity in model names, it's quite possibly better, and I'd expect longer runtime, at least with L91 primary.

Of the H53, there's both F and non-F, and also choice in c or w. If your primary use case is inside or up close, I'd personally prefer the Fc, with the w being interesting if you want longer range outside.

(You might know all of this already, but figure I should mention to be on the safe side, and for other readers etc).

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Would you consider a rechargeable headlamp? If bugging out in a vehicle with a USB port, you could keep it charged while you are on the go.

I have the WakaWaka Power which is a small oblong-like light with a solar panel that can recharge a cell-phone and other devices. So whether you bug out in a vehicle or by foot, the WakaWaka Power could keep your rechargeable headlamp charged, thus freeing up room that would be taken by a battery supply as well as eliminating the worry about locating/buying a possibly diminishing supply of batteries, assuming if batteries became scarce or nonexistent.

If I recall correctly, you can read about the beam profiles of rechargeable (and other) headlamps at various manufacturers' websites: Fenix, NEBO, Nitecore, Olight, etc.

Lastly, because they are inexpensive, consider supplementing your lights with Nitecore's Tube, preferably on a lanyard (or of course, keychain) for yourself &/or family members for when you need minimal 1-45 lumens lighting.

- LetThereBeLight!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe not the best headlamp design but the Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II with the headband. It is costly and low output compared to other lights mentioned but has a better UI than most multi-mode lights IMHO.Dual fuel with either AA or CR123 no adapter needed and the addition of blue and red LEDs (it also has IR ) that operate independently via the selector ring.
The cool white main LED can be easily filtered to offer a warmer tint,that is what I did with mine. I actually like the low output aspect as you can't accidentally blast out 200-300 lumens. The UI on the military model always starts on low so you know what your going to get every time.The beam could be diffused more by adding some filter material the same way I did with the tint filter if it is not floody enough for your needs.The sidewinder uses current control not the PWM that causes problems for some people.
Even if you choose another headlamp the Sidewinder would be a good third stand alone light to add to your BOB.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Olight H1 or H1R. Both can be used with a primary cr123 or rcr123 and the H1R can charge easily and quickly from various sources.

I have the H1R neutral white and I've used primaries rcr123 and the charge in the light batteries with it. It'll run 6 days straight on the 2 lumen mode and has a wonderful flood to it. I rarely use it above 60 lumens.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZMZ67 What did you use to warm filter your sidewinder? Thanks

LEE photography lighting filter gel. I purchased the daylight to tungsten kit ($25) so I could use it for multiple lights.
LEE offered swatch books that have all the colors for a 5 dollars IIRC but I am not sure if they are still available.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I would go with a AA Zebralight H53C or a Streamlight Compact II - the ability to run on AA's would be a must for me in this application and the fact that both will run on AAA's in a pinch is a plus. The Compact II will also run on CR123s.

Rwilliam

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a stream light sidewinder compact ii for a military member. Nice it takes both AA and cr123. Low out put good battery use.

could use a small folding solar panel to charge in SHTF

I use an NU32 Nitecore it's new, batteries are built in but a small solar panel with battery box and usb could keep it charged. You can use eneloops in the battery box for back up supply.

just some ideas

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Fenix HL50 for this application as it is well built and comfy on my head and easily converts between an AA or 123 cell as needed too.

I run mine EDC on AA and rely on it aside from the lack of true Moonlight mode like every Fenix for some odd reason?

The Olight is also great and very tiny and easily worn.

The ZL are also great and I have and use several all the time.

I also suggest looking at the Black Diamond lights as they are not seen often here but have been dead on reliable for me,they offer ramoed dimming,red led in addition to white,amazing run times and some come with Eveready Lithium Primaries in the box and ready to sit in a bag until needed.
They are also inexpensive and more rugged than they look!

MX421

Enlightened
I think I would go with a AA Zebralight H53C or a Streamlight Compact II - the ability to run on AA's would be a must for me in this application and the fact that both will run on AAA's in a pinch is a plus. The Compact II will also run on CR123s.

I'll second the H53c for a bug out bag that will sit for awhile. Using a standard battery like a AA has a whole lot of flexibility.
Personally, I'd skip the H32 though and instead go with a 18650 platform (H600 or H604) if you are using that for your handheld flashlight/torch o you can exchange batteries back and forth.

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
I've been using Spark headlamps at work for 7years. I use it with the reflector off so I have a wide even beam with no hot spot. You can easily thread on a reflector if you wanted a hot spot and more throw. These can be used with standard AA or a dumby cell and 14500 or the SG5 single cell and throw a 14500 in it. If you're packing for a natural disaster I would stick with cells you will be able to resupply with elsewhere instead of relying solely on your own inventory. Things get lost, run out etc. I used it in completely dark basements to install humidifiers and perform service on a furnace in a completely unlit basement.

Father Azmodius

Enlightened
The Spark SX5 will run off just about any battery form.....123, 18660, 26650, AAA, AA, and has the ability to run an additional pack that can handle up to 4 18650s (or 8 123s) in parallel. The one I've been using for years died this summer, and the only place I could find a replacement was EBay, since apparently Spark is no more as a company.

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
The Spark SX5 will run off just about any battery form.....123, 18660, 26650, AAA, AA, and has the ability to run an additional pack that can handle up to 4 18650s (or 8 123s) in parallel. The one I've been using for years died this summer, and the only place I could find a replacement was EBay, since apparently Spark is no more as a company.

That's disappointing to hear that they are no more. I would have liked to buy another headlamp or two from them.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have 2 headlamps that are very similar in output/modes both are essentially rechargeable via micro usb
the Fenix HL60R has a charging port on the light while my Wowtac A2S has an 18650 battery with a micro usb charging port build into it.
Both headlamps have low enough modes to run for days plus both headlamps have high modes that can blast out a huge wall of light around 900 lumens or so. I considered the Fenix HL50 but decided the runtime on medium and output were not good enough plus it won't take lithium ion rechargeables either.