Olight M2R - does it have a real boost driver? (strange behaviour with 3.6 V battery)

liliumcandle

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my new M2R for 2 weeks, today noticed that something in the side switch was not functioning properly, missing clicks, as the contact of the switch was faulty. Clicking very hard would be recognised, but I remember that after charging it for the first time it registered clicks without pushing too hard.

Also the light stopped at High, no more turbo. From High, a push on the tail didn't increase the output at all...
The battery was at 3,64 V.

I charged the battery and everything went back to normal, so I discharged to 3,5 V with my MC3000 and the faulty side switch came back, together with max output at High...

There must be something going on in the switch, and I also suspect that with a partially discharged battery the driver couldn't push to turbo?

Anyone has experienced the same?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure what is going on with your particular sample(sounds like the switch may have an issue) but, it definitely has a boost driver as it is running a 12V emitter off of a single cell producing no more then 4.2V. Testing has showed that it is a pretty good boost driver as well. Keep in mind that 3.5-3.6V is pretty low and most lights can only run their turbo modes until the voltage drops below a certain threshold.

pt2NT8t.png

Graph courtesy of maukka

Last edited:

liliumcandle

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure what is going on with your particular sample(sounds like the switch may have an issue) but, it definitely has a boost driver as it is running a 12V emitter off of a single cell producing no more then 4.2V. Testing has showed that it is a pretty good boost driver as well. Keep in mind that 3.5-3.6V is pretty low and most lights can only run their turbo modes until the voltage drops below a certain threshold.

I recharged the battery using my MC3000 and it showed a capacity of 1900 mAh, so the cell was not very low, but i'm quite new at this....
anyway, what made me return it was the glitch of the side switch, it was like the low charge wasn't enough to close the circuit of the switch...

I think is a very impressive light, but after a little use I found that I don't really need on board charging and wanted to experiment with a little more throw, so instead of returning the faulty one and take another M2R, I went with a Armytek Dobermann pro...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you should try a different battery, it's best to trouble shoot all the components, a freshly charged battery shouldn't read 1900mah and be able to run an M2r unless it's an iMr

liliumcandle

Newly Enlightened
I think you should try a different battery, it's best to trouble shoot all the components, a freshly charged battery shouldn't read 1900mah and be able to run an M2r unless it's an iMr

I didn't say, but I charged it after the light started to misbehave, so it was partially discharged, but not so much, since the charger was only able to put 1900 mAh in it...

I also tried a new sony VTC6: charged it worked, at 3,6, it didn't...

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
There are people here who know batteries better than myself but it sounds like your battery is low. Turbo modes are often the first to go and 3.5 volts resting is when I charge them. Will also charge at 3.6 if I want the higher modes etc.

liliumcandle

Newly Enlightened
I agree, the battery is low, what was strange was the side switch behaviour. The switch should always work properly, even with a low battery...

Olightworld

Enlightened
It certainly looks to be a low battery. Please let me know if the side switch continues to act up though.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though each time replacing the battery with a fully charged one returned the functioning to normal? Okay. I agree that a device should work as expected when you supply it with the power level it was designed for. Just because you disagree with what level that should be doesn't mean it is defective.