Thrunite Quality?

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
I have always had Olights but have recently decided I'd like to give the TN42 a shot. I've done way too much researching on them and reading of reviews, and overall they seem pretty positive, but here and there I keep running into reviews that say their lights have quit working after a period of months or weeks. I guess I'm just wondering what everyone's experiences with Thrunites in general have been (bonus if you have experiences with the TN42) over the long-term? As I said, I've read all of the reviews on this forum and others from when the TN42 first came out, but I am wondering more of the longevity.

Thanks!

den331

Newly Enlightened
I have always had Olights but have recently decided I'd like to give the TN42 a shot. I've done way too much researching on them and reading of reviews, and overall they seem pretty positive, but here and there I keep running into reviews that say their lights have quit working after a period of months or weeks. I guess I'm just wondering what everyone's experiences with Thrunites in general have been (bonus if you have experiences with the TN42) over the long-term? As I said, I've read all of the reviews on this forum and others from when the TN42 first came out, but I am wondering more of the longevity.Thanks!
I have collection of light from fenix surefire olight thrunite All i can say is thrunite is cheaper quality seems to be ok the only complain i can say with thrunite the anodized paint comes off easily compare to olight. But for the price you cannot go wrong with thrunite

ven

Flashaholic
My experience with thrunite has been positive, never had a single failure over a few lights. From my experience, they are up there in quality, if i had to pick, maybe Fenix 1st, olight/thrunite/acebeam very close 2nd. Of course how much you spend will effect the quality to an extent, a $200 light tends to be of nicer quality over a $10(same brand). Although i prefer the fenix for quality, i have had one of their lights DOA. So nothing is guaranteed .

If you go for the tn42, you should be very happy. My tn35 and tn36 are solid and up there with the best in quality! The tn42 will be no different...........

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I've read a lot of good things about Fenix also. I'm looking for a really powerful thrower and wasn't sure if Fenix had anything in the same realm as the TN42? I guess I need to look into them more.

ven

Flashaholic
Fenix dont offer anything like the tn42 performance, Acebeam get close with their k70. If you really want throw, then check out vinhs section and his shop skylumen. He does a tn42vnM which is over 1000kcd from the oslon flat black. It is a pencil beam and "only" 700lm, but for far reaching and reflector based, its an option. Giggles over at BLF, another thrower which is outstanding in pretty much every way(value included), this has near or around 1.300kcd!!!! and a reflector..............amazing but HUGE if an issue.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite quality?

I have never had a single issue with any of the lights in my signature. Thrunite checked more attribute boxes than any other manufacturer for my interests.

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
Again, I really appreciate the info. I've heard of these guys who mod the lights, but I figure they have tons of orders, plus what happens when I have an issue with it down the line? I'll probably stick to a stock light.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Over the last couple of years, I've purchased the following Thrunite flashlights...

Ti3 x 4
T10 x 3
1Av2 x2
1Av3
2Av3
TN4A x 6
TH20 headlamp

So far zero problems with any of them. Fit and finish have all been very good. Most of them are used regularly. They have been dropped, and dunked and carried on keychains, in pockets, and stored around the house and vehicles.

The only other brands of LED flashlight that I've purchased is about a dozen Fenix, a few Rayovac Indestructibles, and four 4Sevens brand. I've only had one Fenix go bad. I don't see anything about the Fenix or 4Sevens brand lights that makes me think they are better quality than my Thrunights, and that includes the finish. I prefer the Thrunights for the UI and mode sequencing, I like the option of neutral tints, and long lasting moonlight modes,, and I think they have better AA options. Since switching to Thrunite I've stopped buying other brands, because they've met my flashlight wants so well. The TN4A is my favorite.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only suggestion would be to avoid anecdotal evidence. One person swears by brand X, another person says it has failed. I've purchased three Olight products, one of which has failed. By contrast, I've had two Thrunite products, both of which are still working. But this does not mean that Thrunite is objectively superior to Olight because the sample size is too small.

Over a long enough period of time, I think that flashlights with potted electronics last longer than their non-potted counterparts. If absolute reliability and customer service are your objectives, then I'd recommend a Malkoff. You might also consider Zebralight if their product list suits you better. Both brands have quite a following on this forum.

Cheers,

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had several Thrunites and I have to say that they have really good quality with a nice price. Can't complain.

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
I actually just bought some Zebralight headlamps when they were on sale for Black Friday and cannot wait to try them out. They were backordered, so I'm hoping they get here before Christmas! Thank you all for your recommendations and input.

I agree, you almost have to take reviews with a grain of salt. Some companies will put fake customer reviews out there. Other times you have to remember that a lot of people never review anything unless they want to complain. I'm grateful to hear from those on here who have owned Thrunites!

sbslider

Enlightened
I don't have the light which the OP inquired about but I do have 4others. Ti3, electronics failed and were promptly replaced with a complete new light. TN4A, had a battery carrier spring defect which was promptly replaced. THE, no problems. 1AV3 archer which I dropped very hard while riding my skateboard and then had some intermittent problem, I told thrunite what happened and they sent me a new light, I just needed to return the old one.

Great customer service in my experience, buy with confidence.

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the light which the OP inquired about but I do have 4others. Ti3, electronics failed and were promptly replaced with a complete new light. TN4A, had a battery carrier spring defect which was promptly replaced. THE, no problems. 1AV3 archer which I dropped very hard while riding my skateboard and then had some intermittent problem, I told thrunite what happened and they sent me a new light, I just needed to return the old one.

Great customer service in my experience, buy with confidence.

Thanks for taking the time to share this. I feel a lot better about trying out Thrunites for the first time. I ordered my TN42 today and took advantage of the Christmas sale. Now it's just the waiting game!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
If absolute reliability and customer service are your objectives, then I'd recommend a Malkoff.

I've had a couple Malkoffs fail.

Dropped one of my Wildcats from a few feet and that was enough to kill it. But you couldn't ask for better customer service from Gene, he replaced it ASAP.

sbslider

Enlightened
Thanks for taking the time to share this. I feel a lot better about trying out Thrunites for the first time. I ordered my TN42 today and took advantage of the Christmas sale. Now it's just the waiting game!
Glad it helped, enjoy your light!!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three Thrunites and consider to get a fourth. Based on my personal impression I think Thrunite definitely is high quality, while not comparable to Zebralight or Malkoff it's definitely in same class as Fenix and Olight.

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
My TN42 arrived yesterday. Shipping was FAST! I tried it out last night and it seems to be a great light. I live in town, so I couldn't really get too good of an idea of how powerful the light is or what the throw is like without alarming the neighbors, but am hoping to take it out into the country tonight to see what it can do. Thanks again for all of the information provided in this thread. Happy Holidays to all!