Stories about accidental drop tests

allangalbraith

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks!
One of my favorite parts of this community are the stories that people experience with their lights. I thought it might be interesting to hear of stories where lights were dropped and if they survived or if they met their final fate. Perhaps this discussion may even lead to better designs that make flashlight drops more survivable. I will start with my brief story...

The other day I came inside after an evening hike. I had been primarily using my Nitecore HC90 to illuminate the trail near my house that I use regularly. I came in the back door of our house and when I got in my wife asked me something from the top of the stairs. Unfortunately, I had my good winter hat on and it was very difficult to hear what she was saying. I essentially ripped my hat off my head forgetting that my headlamp was also on there. As you can imagine, the headlamp went flying and landed hard on the concrete floor. I fully expected for it to be toast and I would need to buy a new headlamp (much to the disappointment of my wife). Fortunately, there was only a small chip on the corner and the light works just as good as it ever has!

has anyone else ever accidentally drop tested their lights?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Back in the summer I spiked my hard hat in a temper tantrum. It had a Streamlight Double Clutch attached by Petzel clips.

Well I was working next to the interstate and a semi truck sucked up and played soccer for about 100 yards. I saw the hard hat tumbling away thanks to it being lit a while.

It drifted off the road and when I found it a simple act of popping a dislodged battery back in place it worked like nothing happened. Petzel clips held too.

And I cannot tell you how many times my Coast HP7 has hit the pavement from the height of my pickup truck seat. Set it in my lap and forget it's there... until I hear the "thunk" when it hits the pavement again. I bought the silver version to mask the battle scars knowing it would be put through some trials on road construction projects.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I primarily use surefire U2s, Kromas, and Lx2s. I've dropped them all. Some on concrete, some in the lake, some in snow and didn't realize it was missing and didn't find it until the spring. They've all worked 100% fine after each incident. One LX2 fell out of my pocket while rock climbing and the lens was shattered. I continued to use it as it for the next two years until sending it in to surefire. They put a new lens on, no question asked, and sent it back.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
One day, I was mouth holding my favorite mouth hold light. The TV was on, and a politician said something. My jaw dropped. The light survived. So far, the politician has, too.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
One day, I was mouth holding my favorite mouth hold light. The TV was on, and a politician said something. My jaw dropped. The light survived. So far, the politician has, too.

Well played, sir. May your lights survive and your politicians be dropped on their heads.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
My P2X Fury has definitely seen the most drops of any of my lights. A few years back I dropped it off my grandparents' balcony from about 15 feet onto solid concrete. Left a big dent in the bezel, but nothing more. My P2X has never failed to turn on no matter how many times I've smacked or banged it around accidentally.

olemil

Newly Enlightened
About a month ago I was installing new water lines for the mother in laws kitchen sink. I had my favorite edc (Olight S2 CU) stuck to a water pipe via the magnetic tail cap. It was working great and made a real nice work light for me while I was installing the new Pex pipe. Well I happened to bump the light with my elbow and dang if it didn't fall about 7' to the cement basement floor!! I was horrified to even look down to see the damage thinking I just ruined my all time favorite light. To my surprise, the light was still shining and all functions working as usual. Only damage was a small dent on the side of the tail cap and bezel. Guess it now has 'used' patina.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
A few months ago a kind CPFer sold me a nicely used JetBeam TCR1. It has survived multiple 3-5 foot drops to concrete,concrete steps, ceramic tile, and asphalt surfaces. Not a noticeable ding or scratch :) The light and ring function as normal. For many years the allure of titanium escaped me, after witnessing the drops and skids the TCR1 sluffed off, now I'm a believer.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have dropped most of my flashlights at least once, typically from hand height or from the seat of my Jeep onto the pavement. Every single one of them has held up just fine with some small dings in the paint. This includes multiple Fenix lights, my Emisar D4vn, and probably some other models as well.

Unfortunately my phone hasn't performed well at all the last couple months with drop tests lol. Got really tired of paying to fix the screen and now have a much bigger case on it.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
My P2X Fury has definitely seen the most drops of any of my lights. A few years back I dropped it off my grandparents' balcony from about 15 feet onto solid concrete. Left a big dent in the bezel, but nothing more. My P2X has never failed to turn on no matter how many times I've smacked or banged it around accidentally.
Wow. Mine chipped the lens from a drop onto the bezel from pocket height. Really shook my confidence in Surefire's quality at the time. Even though I don't have it anymore I'm glad to know that I probably just had a bad sample.

As the OP, I think my Olight S1 is my most-dropped light. It's not one of those robust-feeling lights (like when you pick up an Elzetta), and still it holds up like a champ.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Mine chipped the lens from a drop onto the bezel from pocket height. Really shook my confidence in Surefire's quality at the time. Even though I don't have it anymore I'm glad to know that I probably just had a bad sample.

As the OP, I think my Olight S1 is my most-dropped light. It's not one of those robust-feeling lights (like when you pick up an Elzetta), and still it holds up like a champ.

Ouch, that's no good. I had my SF Titan fail after one drop too, though. Just wouldn't turn on after falling from pocket height onto concrete. Kinda sad but I don't think the quality is as good on their smaller lights, although I still think their other ones are pretty reliable. Among my other SF lights, my G2 Nitrolon has also seen a lot of use. I blew out the Lexan lens after dropping it on tile, but it kept going. Even when the G2 went underwater and water leaked inside the bezel. Great thing about the P60 system is how reliable it is.

MX421

Enlightened
Worst was my Leupold flashlight dropping from a manlift about 30 feet or so up in the air. Landed on the asphault shingle and down to the ground in most cases, some concrete on two occasions. Light still works fine to this day.

Have also dropped a few Zebralights from my lap while exiting my vehicle for a 3' or so drop.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Where I was working today it was snowing. The contractor was performing meanial tasks that did not require any inspections by me. So get snowed on or sit in vehicle and do paperwork? That was easy.

Well today I had an A2 in my left jacket pocket and an E2 in the right. Each time I opened the door that A2 jumped out of my pocket and nose dived the pavement. It's like it wanted to play in the snow, or commit suicide or I dunno what. After like the 5th time it hit asphalt from about 4 feet up I thought of this thread. After the 6th time I had enough sense to zip the pocket closed.

The factory bulb still worked when I got home from work.
Any dings? Not that I could tell as it was already a high mileage body when I got it. Now part an inspectors job is to spend hours a day with his/her hands in their pocket(s). So it goes against the grain to zip up a jacket pocket. For the sake of my A2, I made the sacrifice.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped accidentally on purpose dropped an e01 and a Klarus mi02 off the 3rd story of a parking garage a while back and posted a video of it. KlArus died and the E01 is still working fine. I dragged that same E01 for a half mile or mile (can't remember which) behind my car on the street while attached to fishing line. Really messed up the ano but he light still works.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have dropped plenty of lights but only one died, it was an Olight M10 Maverick dropped from about 24 inches on a laminate floor. Sent it in for repair and don't trust it for serious use anymore.

Taz80

Enlightened
Picked up a V11R at the store, brought along a battery to test it with. Twenty minutes later performed a drop test onto my stone driveway, ( wasn't to pleased with myself for that). Light had a small chip but still works fine today. I've been using a M10 for a work EDC for at least a couple of years now. That lights been around the block a couple of times, never a problem, and its used alot.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
After using my HDS Clicky for some lighting tasks when doing a front end brake job on my truck, I placed it in the gap behind the hood near the windshield. I completely forgot it was there until I heard it smack on the asphalt when I went around the block and slammed on the brakes. It rolled forward 15-20 feet. Surprisingly the only damage was a very small area of flattened knurling on the tail cap.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where I was working today it was snowing. The contractor was performing meanial tasks that did not require any inspections by me. So get snowed on or sit in vehicle and do paperwork? That was easy.

Well today I had an A2 in my left jacket pocket and an E2 in the right. Each time I opened the door that A2 jumped out of my pocket and nose dived the pavement. It's like it wanted to play in the snow, or commit suicide or I dunno what. After like the 5th time it hit asphalt from about 4 feet up I thought of this thread. After the 6th time I had enough sense to zip the pocket closed.

The factory bulb still worked when I got home from work.
Any dings? Not that I could tell as it was already a high mileage body when I got it. Now part an inspectors job is to spend hours a day with his/her hands in their pocket(s). So it goes against the grain to zip up a jacket pocket. For the sake of my A2, I made the sacrifice.

Whew! I held by breath as I read this post! So glad all is well with the A2.