Old Panasonic Behemoth

Phylax

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum so sorry if I seem a bit new...

Anyway I recently rediscovered an old flashlight that I had tucked away in the back of my shed that seems to have gone unknown as I cant find any information about it on the internet. I was wondering if any of you fine people have seen anything like it before. The model number is BF-775 made my Panasonic and it runs on 4 D cell batteries. As far as I can tell it seems to be waterproof much like those big Dolphin lights that take the lantern batteries. It has a bulb that is rated for 4.8v 0.7a despite running on the 4 D cells (6v) so that also seems a bit off but it seems to run alright. The beam is pretty spotty but because of the very large reflector it throws very well with a decent spill around the edges of a tight star shaped hot spot. So once again I would like to hear your thoughts on this light and if you have seen one before because (at least here in New Zealand) the light seems quite rare as I have never seen one before.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF. Great first post.

A typical alkaline has 1.5 volts in idle mode. When draw begins it puts out 1.2 volts. Hence the 4.8 bulb.

Panasonic did a bunch of flashlights at one point. They still do. Noted as "tradesman" lights for miners, construction workers and the like.
My favorite is their minature "any battery" lantern that has a slot in it for a AA, a AAA, a C and a D cell.
They seem to market them in Japan mostly, which would explain yours in NZ. (Lots of Japanese market items ship there).
Maybe check Panasonics web site to see about a PR based LED bulb to give that cool light a huge boost in runtime. Perhaps if you can source some PR based Maglite bulbs that could help improve the beam. Their kryptons were brighter yet offered a better beam than a typical vacuum ( or argon gas) bulb. Or check out eBay for krypton bulbs made by companies like Eicho. In the States a company called Memotronics sells their bulbs, which are an inexspensive alternative to Mag bulbs and have a nice beam.

Sounds like a nice light.

Last edited: