XTAR VP2 BROKE!

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Bought an XTAR VP2 charger a few years back. It's been a great charger but the USB output stopped working. It still charges great but i used the powerbank feature quite often. Anyone else got a VP2 with bad output side or know if its a common problem?

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have three VP2's that get used regularly and never a single problem.

If it's any consolation, they can be had/replaced for ~$30.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for sharing. And i appreciate the consolation lol. Will probably fix it myself once i do research on some usb ports, i would like to replace it with a 2a output but not sure if thats possible. At any rate im really not dissappointed with it, as it charges batteries correctly every time (according to my fluke multimeter and checker in my nitecore) and i have enough chargers and powerbanks to cover my needs at the moment. Good to know if i do order another it doesnt seem to be a common problem. Just wish they would use something more universal than a barrel jack on the input side.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apart from my initial VP2 being in the 'brittle plastic' category, my replacement has worked fine, going back to its inception.

Chris

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gray Litnin, just remember that with taking in consideration circuit inefficiencies in the boost circuit, to get 2A@5v will require around 3A from the single cell feeding the circuit, and as the voltage of that cell drops, the current draw will increase (or the output current will decrease - the manual doesn't say). When the cell gets down to 3.0V the draw could be as high as 4A. Not all cells can do that safely. As much as I hate to have two devices instead of one, if 2A is your goal, you would be better off either buying a power bank that lets you insert the cells, or purchasing a control circuit and making your own power bank.
[At 100% efficiency, at 4.2v the draw would be 2.38A, 3.5v/2.85A, 3.2v/3.125A, and 3v/3.33A. Multiply all those amperages by 1.2 for an 80% efficient circuit. Now most 18650 cells could handle that for a while, but what if someone puts in a 16650 or a 16340 cell? Or, God forbid, a 14500 or even a 10440? (people have been known to do stupid things, you know.) I personally would be much happier with a separate power bank that I knew would have to have 18650 cells in it.]

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Gray Litnin, just remember that with taking in consideration circuit inefficiencies in the boost circuit, to get 2A@5v will require around 3A from the single cell feeding the circuit, and as the voltage of that cell drops, the current draw will increase (or the output current will decrease - the manual doesn't say). When the cell gets down to 3.0V the draw could be as high as 4A. Not all cells can do that safely. As much as I hate to have two devices instead of one, if 2A is your goal, you would be better off either buying a power bank that lets you insert the cells, or purchasing a control circuit and making your own power bank.
[At 100% efficiency, at 4.2v the draw would be 2.38A, 3.5v/2.85A, 3.2v/3.125A, and 3v/3.33A. Multiply all those amperages by 1.2 for an 80% efficient circuit. Now most 18650 cells could handle that for a while, but what if someone puts in a 16650 or a 16340 cell? Or, God forbid, a 14500 or even a 10440? (people have been known to do stupid things, you know.) I personally would be much happier with a separate power bank that I knew would have to have 18650 cells in it.]

Great answer!!! This is the type of stuff i come here for!!!
I do realize the danger in making changes to anything that comes with a warning label, i mean, the stupid people you refer to are where the "warning label maker guy/gal" gets their best ideas lol!!!

The ChrisGarrett advice is spot on with "brittle plastic", thats why this one stays at home on my nightstand! So yea, i have concerns (non-techies in proximity) in case the wrong combo is put to together to do any "power banking" with it. Thats why just about anything i modify becomes off hands to anybody but me, or someone that i've taught the dangers to and i know will actually listen. But im glad others share my fears and are willing to teach the less informed to keep everyone safe!!! KUDOS!!!!

Anyway, im on the same page with ya. But this kinda turned into a project since i've got other stuff to use to give me plenty of time to tinker and learn usb circuitry (electro but no electronics experience). I may do this to the guts of my Nitecore F1 and slide them into an aluminum (insulated of course) housing if i get the time and all goes well!! I do want to be able to charge all the different types of cells still, but want to be able to output using only the single slot that it already uses with an 18650 (6a continuous discharge). My goal is similiar to a cell phone wall charger (fast charge till device is around 50 - 75% full then taper off as it finishes) i know it sounds easier to just buy one but if i learn how to build them properly i can make as many as i want lol!!

Got any ideas for where i can buy this control circuitry or can u point me in the right direction for the proper components?

P.S. Not sure if your being sarcastic but its darn funny to read "As much as I hate to have two devices instead of one," then see your sig line at the bottom of it! I know it doesn't mean EVERYTHING, but that made me smile lol!!!

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my understanding that circuit boards for this type of function can be found on Ebay, with all that entails. I know others have said they found the guts for a power bank there.

As for the sig, that is the Mantra around here. If you are in a situation where you really need a flashlight, and it dies, 'what ya gonna do?'. Having a second spare, even of reduced capability, would be real helpful about then.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
It's my understanding that circuit boards for this type of function can be found on Ebay, with all that entails. I know others have said they found the guts for a power bank there.

As for the sig, that is the Mantra around here. If you are in a situation where you really need a flashlight, and it dies, 'what ya gonna do?'. Having a second spare, even of reduced capability, would be real helpful about then.

Gonna have to scope out some circuit boards or some pbanks to gut then lol!!

I know what it means, thats why i didnt know if you were really be being sarcastic or if i should consider carrying two chargers as well lol!!
But Fo Sho! I chose a profession that relies on lights immensely, so i do carry two at least, most times three if u count key chain. Also folder as well as knife on Leatherman at all times cuz i cant trust i wont break one eventually. Backups have saved my tail more times than i can count. And its usually my own dumb fault (forgot to swap for a new cell, didnt get that nick outta my blade when i REALLY need a sharp one) and Murphy's law just takes over from there lol!

Last edited: